Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #57

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Please tell me how to do "due diligence on a coach? I have seen this posted several times and am curious as to what actions you can take to assure that the motor won't blow up, the A/C won't go out, the step motor won't go out, the lights have to be replaced constantly, the light switches get very hot, the tv bracket is missing screws and almost falls out, the aqua hot pump goes out, a sewer small develops and won't go away.

Thanks to all in advance for educating me.

One other thought, I was reviewing an overseas travel agency and in EVERY instance when a customer posted something negitive the agency made a personal comment and offered either an explanation or discussion. Why doesn't US Mfg. do this. I am sure they have people monitoring these sites. Just curious.
cutter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #58

Satisfaction in Knowing I am not Alone

Back in March I related my troubles with my Tiffin Allegro Bay Fred 38TGB. Since then i have made three trips all with major breakdowns and got a recall notice on the brakes. I will say that in three years the coach has never gone anywhere without a breakdown. I have spoken to Bob Tiffin twice and the coach has resided at Red Bay for three months. They fix one thing and another thing breaks. This forum at least lets me know I am not alone.
My neighbor has an equivalent model Winnie but with a gas engine and he comes and goes without major problems. I am jealous.
I will say the deisel engine and the power train are good. The problems are the brakes and everything made by Tiffin.
If we knew a rabid lawyer, perhaps we could get together a class action suite and force Tiffin to purchase back the many lemons they turn out.
Jimmy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1BAMAFAN View Post
i own a 2010 phaeton 40 qth and have had problems ,that, to date TMH has been unable to repair.
i have met with mr. bob tiffin twice and he is one of the finest gentleman i have ever met . that said , i don't think the quality of his motorhomes nor the abilities of his techs is very impressive.
i'm not going to list all the problems i have but here is a few i consider important.
1) 29 lights burnt out -in 2 years
2) rocker switch panel next to passenger seat - replaced 5 times (out again)
3) air bags- passenger side leak down within hours
4) water system fills with air after not using for a few days
5) rear furnace gone out twice
6) exhaust brake not working
7) excessive rattle in drivers side window

item #s 1, 2, 3 ,5, & 7 have been on my punch list more than once, but in the three times i have been to red bay their favorite comment is "NO PROBLEM FOUND"
again, everyone i have dealt with,at TMH, has always been courteous ,but i'm not interested in courteous at this point . i just want a MH i can use for my enjoyment not just for trips to red bay,al.
Hey #1- The problems you are having with your coach are because you are a Bama fan- If you switch to the Auburn Tigers, your coach will straighten up and do right!!.................
DannyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Hey #1- The problems you are having with your coach are because you are a Bama fan- If you switch to the Auburn Tigers, your coach will straighten up and do right!!.................
Oh Boy, here we go.

Danny, it thought it was a family tradition at Tiffin to "kick" the Bama team to championships!
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy K View Post
Back in March I related my troubles with my Tiffin Allegro Bay Fred 38TGB. Since then i have made three trips all with major breakdowns and got a recall notice on the brakes. I will say that in three years the coach has never gone anywhere without a breakdown. I have spoken to Bob Tiffin twice and the coach has resided at Red Bay for three months. They fix one thing and another thing breaks. This forum at least lets me know I am not alone.
My neighbor has an equivalent model Winnie but with a gas engine and he comes and goes without major problems. I am jealous.
I will say the deisel engine and the power train are good. The problems are the brakes and everything made by Tiffin.
If we knew a rabid lawyer, perhaps we could get together a class action suite and force Tiffin to purchase back the many lemons they turn out.
Hey Jimmy, I have a 2008 Allegro Bay Fred 37QDB- What issues have you had with your coach?? My biggest problems were insulation of the engine compartment, windows, issues with the cummins engine (turbo and egr) and some minor stuff- Curious as what to look forward to...........Danny
Old 08-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Oh Boy, here we go.

Danny, it thought it was a family tradition at Tiffin to "kick" the Bama team to championships!

Those Tiffin boys did that well!!--Glad they all graduated.........Danny
Old 08-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #63

Rust rust rust. The only thing from the floor down that isn't rusting is Freightliner.
Stnlss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stnlss
Rust rust rust. The only thing from the floor down that isn't rusting is Freightliner.
Really? I was thinking about trading in my 2010 Winnebago rust bucket for a tiffin. Please tell me more. pM if you don't want to fully comment here!!!

Thanks!

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
bubbletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #65

beware buying a tiffin motorhome

this is my experience with my tiffin motorhome, if you don 't want to hear my problems then do not read any further . i don't want to hear from anyone complaining that my post does not meet your idear of niceity(my word)

just an update to my phaeton motorhome problems

i made a short 20 mile trip this weekend.

i can't belive the problems with this motorhome

1) light panel at entry door out for the 5th time

2) right front leveling jack would not retract

3) left front wheel seal leaking

4) water system full of air

5) excessive rattles in interior

6) three lights out, this makes 30 lights in 2 years

7) co 2 detector which was replaced 11 months ago out again

I had the pleasure of talking with bob tiffin today . told him i wanted to take my motorhome to a local repair shop to get repairs made so i could get rid of this piece of junk . his standard reply " ok take it in and he will take care of it" well tiffin has 2 years to take care of these problems and so far all i get is : no problem found or that's the way it's suppost to work"

these problems only scratch the surface

other problems include:

exhaust brake not working
air bags leaking
water leaking in bins
drivers window rattle

i'm done with tiffin , never will buy their product again !!!!!!!!!!!!!
#1BAMAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #66

Bamafan, Your list is nothing compared to my 2011 Phaeton QBH I got rid of.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #67

While not actually mine, I work on my parents 40' bus when they stop in for their 3 month break from their house on wheels. From our experience 1 recall for overheat which my father did not notice in the Black Hills, but he drives it like a truck and not a car. 1 issue with cooling system, I believe was a engine casting issue. He did have 2 wiring issues we can attribute to Tiffen. Things I would consider incorrect (am a facilities manager), one was the water heater 110 volt connection.
Most of our problems come from trying to customize. We have had the front TV out at least once per year and it is a 2006 (will be removing it again this year possibly upgrading it along with the rear.
There was a bad wire for the component video that was on the original media player.
I did not like the way they insulated areas, I also re insulated my sisters house when it was built and she accused me of turning up the heat.
They are not perfect, but if they built trash they would be out of business also. Other than the cabinets, wiring and other small items they are all system integrators.
Are the recalls on refrigerators the integrators fault. If a GM, Cummins or Ford engine dies...
Time to fix the wall that is coming apart in my 2011 non Tiffen 5er, at the other end from last years repair.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #68

So far we really can't complain on our Tiffin. Had the transfer switch fail & that was taken care of under warranty and without going to Redbay. Also the left side camera went out and that was replaced without cost to us. We were out of warranty for the camera, but Tiffin replaced it.
Now that being said, our coach is pretty basic. It serves our purpose very well without a lot of the extra bells and whistles. IMHO the more bells and whistles you have the more that can go wrong.
Of course maybe ours was built on a good day when all workers were happy to be there and enjoying their job.

Tags
tiffin