Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #1

Hurricane Irma

Well it looks like South Florida is going to get Irma. DH and I are planning on bugging out from Miami on Thursday and heading for Alabama or Georgia depending on the forecasted track. I am not staying for another Cat 4 or 5 hurricane. Andrew was too much and I have no intention of living through anything like that. Has anyone heard of gas shortages through Florida? Any other suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #2

Fill up before you leave. That should get you mostly out of harms way or at least to more fuel. Fill some jerry cans if you can as well. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
watching gov scott now. I would leave tomorrow vice thursday, they are closing almost everything dade south for schools. and nuts are already runnign out of fuel.
we went through it last week in texas...Sure hope it turns a hard north NOW
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Community Administrator

I agree with tomorrow. Preferably today. I read an article today that stated 99 hours advance of the storm is required to evacuate.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

Leave earlier than later. Don't mess with this storm.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #6

Florida has a big problem. Only two Interstates that go South to North. They will get clogged as soon as evacuation orders are issued. Get out as soon as possible, and when you stop to stretch your legs, or let the pets out to do their business, get fuel also. You may get stuck in traffic and will need your generator until whatever has stopped the traffic flow clears. It could be hours.

Be prepared if traffic does stop for a long time and people start knocking at your door to use your bathroom, what are you going to do?

Fill up with water, and food. Pack all family photos. Pack any pet immunization paperwork.

Good luck and drive safe. And check back here to let us know how it is going.

We kind of have the reverse problem. My sister is in Canada visiting a friend. All of her important "things" are back at her home in Fort Myers about a mile from the coast.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

We're in Alachua, FL (full time RVing) trying to figure out which direction to head. For anyone wondering what it's like in this area. The walmart here was full of people and all the water was taken. When a new pallet of water came out everyone seized upon it quickly. There are lines forming at the gas stations. I've been through Charlie, Jean and Francis (as well as others) and people are showing their fear in a way I hadn't seen before. I literally had a guy at walmart jockeying for position to get in front of me because he heard there was water in that direction. The couple in front of me in line had a whole cart of nothing but water and another full of food.
owendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #8

Yes, if possible, I would head out asap. Traffic will become a serious problem. And, you need to allow some buffer time, in case something happens to slow your evacuation (break-down or illness).

Very best wishes on your travels!
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:49 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Head straight for the High Pressure area coming out of the Okla area Now.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:30 PM   #10

We're in Jacksonville, and have to stay because my mother is having a heart procedure Thursday. Otherwise, we would be headed out. With that being said, our store shelves (and Lowe's and Home Depot) were picked pretty clean. There still seems to be plenty of fuel up here, and I know Governor Scott said more supplies are on the way. Looking at our interstates they are starting to get busy, so perhaps you should leave sooner, rather than later. Tomorrow (Wednesday) would be better, if you can make it happen. Good luck, and stay safe.
Fulltime and loving it!
lsw9658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #11

Just listened to the governor. They are advising to only fill your fuel tanks with as much fuel as needed to get out of the area. Sounds like fuel is becoming an issue. Hope you left!!
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #12

Leave Now. Try to cross the state on I-75, or take the turnpike north to the Central Florida area. Looks like the storm may take a turn east thus favoring the Florida west coast to move north would be better.
Good luck.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosado View Post
Well it looks like South Florida is going to get Irma. DH and I are planning on bugging out from Miami on Thursday and heading for Alabama or Georgia depending on the forecasted track. I am not staying for another Cat 4 or 5 hurricane. Andrew was too much and I have no intention of living through anything like that. Has anyone heard of gas shortages through Florida? Any other suggestions?
I would leave now. Really only 2 highways out of south Florida and everyone will be on them. Check Gas Buddy for gas outages. Good luck, be safe.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #14

Thank you to everyone for the advice. Unfortunately, I had to work until this afternoon so we can't leave until I get home. Hubby has been working like a dog getting our house and my sister's townhouse secured and I am concerned about him driving tonight. He insists on doing the majority of the driving even though I have driven Tiffiny on several occasions. We will leave very early in the morning and head to Valdosta first and depending where the storm is tracking after that, we may head to Alabama. I've always wanted to see Red Bay. Maybe it's a good time to get that hitch recall taken care of. We have her gassed up and ready to roll. Take care everyone and pray for the people of Florida.

Tags
hurricane