Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #1

HWH 625 Control Panel Repair

The "Store" function went intermittent, leading me to figure out how to retract the jacks manually. It's probably possible to have made it more awkward, but they'd have had to work at it!

I found this thread and ordered this still-available assortment last week. Today, I pulled my 625 panel and replaced the "Store" switch. One of the switches in the assortment was a perfect fit! "Store" works again as it should. As a bonus, I re-flowed the solder joints for the Store indicator LED and it now works as well.

Many, many thanks to smartin for this post and to iRV2: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/hwh...el-421808.html

(I'm apparently not allowed to reply to that post because it's 487 days old.)

The control panel cover is worn through over several switches. HWH will sell me a new Lexan cover for $12 and change. It'll be on order as soon as they call back (which might be days since they are running a skeleton crew at present). That will complete the repair.

A couple of pointers to anyone hesitant (but willing) to try this.

There are two circuit boards. They are retained against the top of the control panel with six screws, and spacers are placed between the two boards. Once the screws are removed, there are two connectors at one end. Gently separate the two boards at the connectors to get access to the back side of the upper board.

When you unsolder the switch, it's any effective technique to torque the switch around the pins (just push sideways on the button) and work on the two joints on one side alternately. Each time you heat one, you will feel the switch move a bit. *Let the circuit board cool every couple of times you heat the two pads*. This will prevent the pads from separating from the board. Also, use an appropriate medium-powered pencil soldering iron.

Once the first two leads are free, repeat the process with the other two.

When the switch has been removed, the holes through the board will be blocked by solder. You can use a desoldering tool if you have one, wicking copper, or use an old trick. The trick is to heat a pad, then *quickly* remove the soldering iron and *immediately* blow *hard* through the hole to clear the solder. Rinse and repeat until the four holes are clear and the new switch can be soldered into place.

Once you are ready to reassemble, hold the lower board sideways. Reinsert the screws, and put the spacers on the screws. Tilt the board toward the heads of the screws, and push them into the spacers. Then, it will be easy (easier, anyway) to line up the two boards and get the screws through them both while pushing the connectors back together. It will seem like two hands are not enough and three is too many, but it will work.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #2

The four walls are closing in and I'm bored. So I decided to replace the On/Level switch today while I wait for the new Lexan cover. To go with the description above, some pics attached.

First, the assembled board, face-down. Note that the assembly part number is on the other board, sandwiched between this one and the control panel.

Next, a side view. You can see one of the two board-to-board connectors on the right, and the white nylon spacers between the boards.

Then, the top board after the boards have been unscrewed from the control panel. The On/Level switch is at the top left. There are unused switches on this board. The board is common to more than one system. Only the used switches are labeled. In an emergency, you could take out an unused switch and replace a bad one with it.

Next is a view of the top board (the one with the switches) from the bottom or back, after it's been separated from the lower board.

After that is the lower board, which (other than unplugging it and plugging it back in) I didn't mess with.

OK, the switch has been removed and replaced (I used a 23W weller pencil iron), and it's time to put the boards back together. So next is a pic of the spacers on the screws to make it easier to assemble the two parts.

Gently put the boards together, and lie them down as shown in the following pic. Then position the screws until they fall through the top board (which is on the bottom in the pic). *Then*, you can gently push the connectors together.

Lie the assembly atop the control panel and screw it down (not too tight!). Done!

Finally, a picture of the assortment with the size you need circled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200403_103425.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	280198   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200403_103449.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	280199  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200403_103605.jpg