Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #1

HWH Auto Level

'19 Phaeton 40IH. Auto level function and manual dump are currently inop. Both functions have been intermittent for last 2-3 trips. Manual level works fine. When auto level is selected the blue light illuminates, but nothing happens. If I select, manual dump nothing happens. Start engine reset/set parking brake no change. Checked for CB popped - none that I could find. Check connections on control panel - seem to be ok. Pulled both connectors and reseated - no change. On backside of control panel, there is a blinking red light just above an unused 6-pin connector. Manual says it should blink any time ignition switch is on.

Fortunately, we are in Red Bay, waiting to get to mechanic shop - hopefully Tuesday. Had hall of our little stuff fixed in express bay on Friday. Also waiting on paint shop and cabinet shop.

Any ideas on quick work around on manual dump or more trouble shooting, while we wait for service?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2020, 04:32 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I just recently had the same issue with intermittent air dump and levelers. Mine turned out to be the main power solenoid on the HWH pump. If it's not making contact then no power is passed to the controls and the valves. There are two solenoids on the pump, the main power one on the left side and the pump solenoid on the right. Don't know if that's your issue, but a new solenoid fixed mine.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #3

Had similar issue, Service had me pull then reinstall the fuse in the pump compartment. This reset the system and got the hydraulics working again.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:22 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
May try turning the chassis battery disconnect off for several seconds then back on. This sometimes resets the system.
lakefront5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
Commercial Member

most intermittent operation is a bad connection
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #6

Tech suspected bad ground on control panel - replaced control panel.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #7

I have auto level on my 2020 RED. When I hit auto level the passenger side jacks retract, the drivers side do an intermittent "whirring" sound like they are trying to but don't. I can retract manually. The air in the drivers side also deflates to 100-110psi, whereas the passenger side goes down to below 75psi.

Will be in Red Bay in 11 days and is one of the items on my list. Just happened Sunday when I took it back to my storage site after a trip to the Gulf and then a good washing on Sunday to clean off the salt.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
I have auto level on my 2020 RED. When I hit auto level the passenger side jacks retract, the drivers side do an intermittent "whirring" sound like they are trying to but don't. I can retract manually. The air in the drivers side also deflates to 100-110psi, whereas the passenger side goes down to below 75psi.

Will be in Red Bay in 11 days and is one of the items on my list. Just happened Sunday when I took it back to my storage site after a trip to the Gulf and then a good washing on Sunday to clean off the salt.
The pump does not run when the jacks retract. A solenoid valve opens and the return springs pull the jacks up. If you mean when you hit auto level the jacks don't EXTEND and all they do is whir then you may be low on hydraulic fluid. It's also possible you have a loose ground connection like previously posted. There are no passenger side and driver's side air tanks. You have a main tank and a reserve and it's normal for the pressure to drop in the main tank when you dump the air to level.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
The pump does not run when the jacks retract. A solenoid valve opens and the return springs pull the jacks up. If you mean when you hit auto level the jacks don't EXTEND and all they do is whir then you may be low on hydraulic fluid. It's also possible you have a loose ground connection like previously posted. There are no passenger side and driver's side air tanks. You have a main tank and a reserve and it's normal for the pressure to drop in the main tank when you dump the air to level.
Yes, extend, not retract. Sorry for the mistyping and thanks for correcting me. I assumed there was passenger and driver side air since the dash has air pressure gauges on the dash on the left and on the right.

Thanks for the education!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash read out.png
Views:	44
Size:	957.6 KB
ID:	287196  
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the photo of the new dash, love the looks of it. I can see where there would be confusion with one gauge on each side. On our Power Glide chassis, the main or primary tank supplies air to the rear brakes and the secondary tank supplies air to the front brakes and the air bags. I'm sure the Freightliner is very similar with your #1 and #2 tanks.

Tags
hwh