Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #1

HWH Leveling issue solved

Hi,

I just solved what was a simple problem on our HWH leveler/slider system on our Open Road 32SA: the power went on, correct lights lit, but neither the jacks nor slider would move.

The symptoms and checks were:
  • The HWH power went on with key in ACC or engine started and lights were normal for parked, slider and jacks in.
  • The Spyder had Park signal input on.
  • I heard a tiny click from the hydraulics basement bin when operating the slider rocker switch, but no movement nor pump sound.
  • Checked both CAN communication LEDs (touch panel and control box over manifold) and they both blinked.
  • Checked the voltage at Master Relay and input voltage to pump relay: they were both good.
  • So, i shorted the pump relay and after a couple of times, the pump ran.
  • I then went back in the coach and found everything working; jacks would operate and the slider slid.
The problem, i think, was that the pump motor was stuck and just needed a couple of jolts to get rotating again.

We've had "stuck" problems like this over the past couple of months, and usually just turning the ACC on or off, operating the slider rocker switch, or just waiting would make it go away.

Much thanks to the member (can't remember who) who uploaded the "HWH 725 Service Manual.pdf" document; Although quite dense, it was invaluable in debugging this problem.

I know this is a simple set of symptoms and a simple fix, but it never hurts to be reminded that some issues *do* have a simple fix.

fwiw,
Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #2

Sorry.. on my tablet.. I can't see yr make and model... look in you tube.. KEVIN CAUDILL .. he pulls his HWH motor apart.. it's amazing video..
Glade yours is now working.. but it does not sound like you.. pulled motor and taken apart..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 12-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #3

There are several good posts on the forum for this issue. There are two solenoids attached to your pump motor....Continuous Duty and Intermittent duty.

Notoriously, the intermittent duty solenoid, which powers the pump motor, gets worn contacts and needs replacing. My 2018 started the same symptoms after about two years. I chased several fixes but ultimately I replaced the intermittent solenoid and no more problems. I also ordered an extra continuous duty solenoid to have on hand. They are around $35-$45 each I think and I got them through a supplier on Amazon. Easy replacement.

Regards,

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:56 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Great to hear the shorting worked. That is what Tiffin told the OO of our rig to do. It worked, until it stopped working. Last time I had to short it at least 5 times before the slides worked. That was when I decided to test & ultimately replace 1 of the solenoids.

I suggest you keep a spare continuous duty solenoid with you. No fun to be stuck with your slides out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #5

Solenoids ok, motor stuck

I agree that it's a good idea to pack a spare 12vdc solenoid to get out of a pinch, and we do just that.

In the case I described here, the continuous duty solenoid was fine and provided 12vdc on its output post. Likewise with the motor solenoid.

The issue here, I'm pretty sure was that the motor itself was stuck and just needed a couple of kicks to get going. I'm guessing a dead spot on the commutator or the brushes are going bad.

fwiw,
paul
Old 01-04-2022, 11:05 AM   #6
Commercial Member

the pump relay is intermittent duty. its designed to latch in at a better rate than the continuous duty, for a which is designed to be on for a long time, and not burn out.
master relay part #RAP38933
pump relay part # RAP35723
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Regarding these part numbers, are these relays purchased thru HWH?
Pacman774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:53 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I purchased mine from THE online RV store, Amazon.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:01 AM   #9

HWH Leveling issue solved

I carry spares of each and a spare 40 amp fuse holder assembly since this too is a known issue and show stopper.

You may want to check the 40 amp fuse for corrosion as this can limit the current availability, which may be a reason for the motor not running. It can fail from internal corrosion by overheating due to poor conductivity.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:29 AM   #10
Commercial Member

the hwh part numbers i supplied are from hwh or any authorized hwh parts sales. stuarts in elkhart, northern tools, ppl rv parts in houston, and several others.
check on the warranty no matter where you buy them.
these relays are one of the few parts hwh does not mfg themselves.
hwh is not the only supplier. they are sold under other non hwh numbers.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:11 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I appreciate the good info in this post and I see the two relays mentioned.
I don't see a 40 amp fuse with my system in a 2018 Open Road 32SA. Looking at my picture can anyone tell me where the fuse is located?
I haven't had any problems yet (except a ruptured leveler line on our third trip), but just want to be prepared.
Paul, glad yours was a simple fix. How did you short the pump relay? Did you just connect a wire from the relay input to the motor input to "bypass" the relay?
Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH-HydraulicSystem.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	353804  
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:35 AM   #12

Hi,

To activate the motor, i used a "heavy duty" (~18 AWG) clip lead. I had to touch the post a couple of times before the motor rotated. The first time or two the motor just clicked, but then it took off, and seeing as how I was holding the way-to-light gauge wire, I disconnected very fast
Old 01-15-2022, 08:50 AM   #13

Back on the farm in Wisconsin, always carried a variety or wrenches in the tractor toolbox for in-field repairs....My favorite was the wrench I used to tap the starter with when it "froze up"....wouldn't leave the barn without it [smile]....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:02 PM   #14
Commercial Member

the 40 amp fuse is used in the 310 and 610 systems. the 725 systems use a variety of fuses. the service manuals show the locations of those fuses in the diagrams in the back.

Tags
hwh, leveling