Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #1

HWH Pump Service

So I checked the fluid level on my hydraulic pump and it was low did not register on the dip stick. I was told by Tiffin at their service center last December to use Dexron VI Mercon LV ATF fluid. I have added 2 quarts it still does not indicate on dip stick. Is the fluid I am using correct and what is the capacity of the system.
Thebart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you checking it with slides in and jacks up. Might be showing low because the fluid is in the cylinders . . . How do I know??
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #3

Jack's up and slides in.. mine if total empty takes more than 1 gallon.. but yours might be different.. but if dry.. they can hold a lot.. I would be checking for leaks with good flashlights
USE cell phone with camera and flash and record up under each jack.. every hose.. and pump and resovior. And slides.. . then watch.. cell phone with camera and flash are your best friend and fits where your head cannot..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-22-2021, 09:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebart View Post
So I checked the fluid level on my hydraulic pump and it was low did not register on the dip stick. I was told by Tiffin at their service center last December to use Dexron VI Mercon LV ATF fluid. I have added 2 quarts it still does not indicate on dip stick. Is the fluid I am using correct and what is the capacity of the system.
Welcome to iRV2. , as others have stated , ONLY check/add fluid to the system with the jacks up and slides in.

Also posting why you were checking the level ? Will help get better answers .
Adding info on your coach, (year?) , your HWH system series (625 ? )

Right now all we know is Tiffin with HWH levelers .
Please take the time to fill out the " About Me " section and set up a "signature line" .

Remember we're not there beside you , seeing what you're seeing , you have to tell us everything .
Old 10-23-2021, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Are you checking it with slides in and jacks up. Might be showing low because the fluid is in the cylinders . . . How do I know??
One slide was out but I brought it in and after two quarts it’s still not reading on dip stick. Pump runs fine, just wondering what the tank capacity is.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebart View Post
One slide was out but I brought it in and after two quarts it’s still not reading on dip stick. Pump runs fine, just wondering what the tank capacity is.
Eleven years with my coach and I've yet to add a drop of fluid to the HWH system , time for a complete check of all the hoses for leaks .
Old 10-24-2021, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2. , as others have stated , ONLY check/add fluid to the system with the jacks up and slides in.

Also posting why you were checking the level ? Will help get better answers .
Adding info on your coach, (year?) , your HWH system series (625 ? )

Right now all we know is Tiffin with HWH levelers .
Please take the time to fill out the " About Me " section and set up a "signature line" .

Remember we're not there beside you , seeing what you're seeing , you have to tell us everything .

It is a 2019 Tiffin Phaeton 40IH.

I have checked for leaking actuators on jacks and slides, have not found anything wet. When we purchased the coach on our initial inspection one of the large bay floors was covered with oil. The dealer had to clean it up and determine the source. There must have been a loose fitting on the PS large slide rear actuator. I noticed even after a few month a drop or two of fluid would show up on the bay floor. I was able to get a wrench on the fitting and give it just enough 1/4 turn to stop the leak completely.

I am guessing that the reservoir has been low since we bought it. I asked Tiffin technicians to check it last year when we were at RedBay for a Warrantee checkup.

Anyway everything is working fine, I added two quarts of Dextron VI/Mercon LV and I have another to add. The coach is not in a lever parking spot so I will check it again when we move it to a level spot and add more fluid until it touches the bottom of the nylon scupper plug.

My only other concern is the fluid I am adding compatible with the system.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #8

HWH , has their own hydraulic fluid , but my manual says Dexron can be used , with the warning the dye in Dexron will cause stains .

Warning in the system manual : NOT to use brake fluid or hydraulic jack oil , seal damage may occur .

The info is in my HWH system manual .

To identify your system and download a pdf manual , visit the web site.

Welcome to HWH Corporation
Old 11-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We only use the HWH hydraulic fluid. Ours was low and took three quarts to top it off. They have the HWH fluid by the quart at Camping World. You have to ask for it as they keep it in the back. Actually it is the only very reasonably priced item that they have. Once you get it full you will probably never need to add again. But remember slides in and jacks up.
Coffee Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:36 PM   #10

I do not have a Tiffin but I had the HWH hydraulic system on my previous Country Coach. I replaced my pump and tank and I believe it held around 8 or 9 quarts. I contacted HWH and they told met to use the Dectron Mercon AT fluid and that is what my manual stated as well. Top it off but be cautious not to overfill, you will have a mess if you do. As the oil heats up it will expand slightly and if you don’t have room for expansion it will over flow out the vent and into your compartment.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #11
Commercial Member

contact me at 602 549 3638. if you can provide the hwh AP model number on top of the tank, or the measurements of the tank, i can give you an exact amount. normally the tank is between 1.5 to 2 gallons. yours may be different. thats why i need the info.
thanks, paul maddox
i am a full time employee of hwh corp. i do not solicit parts sales on this forum, and do not do service work anymore.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
HWH Pump Service

Here's a curveball. I have a 2009 Allegro Bus 43 QGP and just checked and filled my hydraulic reservoir. All slides in and jacks up on level ground. Took 5 quarts and when I extended my jacks and slides I was rewarded with aprox a quart or more overflowing the vent! Have watched like a hawk and not a drop on the ground indicating a leak, and have stayed at two parks on concrete pads for 15 of the last 20 months
Booker Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
contact me at 602 549 3638. if you can provide the hwh AP model number on top of the tank, or the measurements of the tank, i can give you an exact amount. normally the tank is between 1.5 to 2 gallons. yours may be different. thats why i need the info.
thanks, paul maddox
i am a full time employee of hwh corp. i do not solicit parts sales on this forum, and do not do service work anymore.
AZPete, can you help with getting the leveling jack I ordered in June and was promised 6-8 week delivery, going on 4 months now.
Reng8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #14
Commercial Member

sorry, but i also have parts ordered that i have not received yet.
i ordered them the last of june. yes, its slow, but hwh is operating shorthanded, and there has been a slow down.
i do not have an answer for your question. but i know they are working all the hours they can get out of the men working there.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, pump, service