Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2023, 04:57 PM   #1

I was told since I didn't buy my rig from a dealer, they won't perform warranty work.

I have a warranty item that needs to be fixed, so I contacted the closest Tiffin dealer, and they told me that since I didn't purchase my rig from them, they won't do any warranty work on it.

Is this typical? Or did I just get the wrong person the wrong time of day?

Also, should I expect the same kind of treatment for recall items too?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2023, 05:16 PM   #2
Community Moderator

I have heard this is a common theme. It doesn’t seem right, but it seems to happen a lot.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:20 PM   #3

I'd be contacting the mfg for guidance as to where I could get warranty work done when specific dealers have refused?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:29 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
That is the way things are going now days and it isn't going to get any better. Call Tiffin and find a dealer that might work on your coach but be prepared to wait and wait.
If it is something small and shouldn't be expensive, I would go ahead and use an independent repair facility if you don't think you could do the repair yourself. Sometimes it isn't worth fooling with a dealer.
Old 04-24-2023, 05:31 PM   #5

This is very common. I’d reach out to Tiffin and see about a mobile tech service doing the work if you don’t want to go back to your selling dealer. RV manufactures don’t hold dealer networks to the same standard car manufacturers do.

As for recalls, don’t be surprised if you get the same answer, unless it is chassis related as those service centers are more in line with how car dealers handle warranty and recall work.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 11:44 PM   #6

They probably did you a favor. Most dealer service departments are not very good. If Red Bay is a reasonable option, take it there
Old 04-25-2023, 03:37 AM   #7

Unfortunately this is how it is...

Most RV centers, like most other trades, don't have enough qualified techs to handle their own customers, let alone other folk needing warranty work. They try their best to take care of their customers first. I would call Tiffin for their suggestions and worst cast scenario schedule your warranty work to be done in Red Bay.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 04:32 AM   #8

Even when they charge $174 per hour. That's not for Warranty work, but that's the going rate in our area in the Midwest.
MevetS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 05:34 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I realize some people on this forum have had good experiences with dealers working on their coaches. But many have not. Often, the coach will sit in their lots untouched until they get around to it. Often, the story is, "we are waiting on parts". My one and only experience with a dealer was the actual dealer I bought it from. I caught them in a lie with that story. They said they ordered the parts, but at Tiffin, the parts ordered are tied to the VIN. Tiffin confirmed the parts weren't ordered yet. So, I ordered them under warranty and fixed it myself. Interestingly, I just stopped calling the dealer and they never called me to get the work done. They never intended to. I don't know what you need done, but if you are handy and have the time, I would do the work yourself. I cringe at the thought of any dealers around here in Houston touching my coach. That dealer may have done you a favor. But I do realize some work can't be done easily if it is a big or complicated job.
thegats1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 06:15 AM   #10

One thing to weigh is the cost of going to and from a dealer for warranty work. I elected *not* to go where we bought the coach for several things after buying and getting it home because my time (driving there and back twice) and the cost (in diesel alone) were not worth it, and they're only 100 miles or so away. I figure our direct expenses at about $1-1.50/mile, and I do everything I can do myself. For the 2K+ mile round trip to Red Bay I can get a lot done in my driveway or locally for less.

That said, some things are worth going to the Red Bay area, like slideout floor replacements that cost 25% of what it would cost to get done here.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 09:19 AM   #11

We've had the same issue with two rigs. On the first rig, we talked to the dealer's head manager (not the service manager), but the wait for an appointment was long. The other rig, we talked with the manufacturer and got the name of a service center they authorized to warranty work. That was a great option.
2024 Brinkley G 3500 #39
2017 F450
Always in the Dawg Haus
MKwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 12:09 PM   #12

I agree, they did you a favor. Find a good, reputable, local repair facility and use them. Tiffin will let many reputable locals work on warranty work. At least, they have for us.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllegroD View Post
I agree, they did you a favor. Find a good, reputable, local repair facility and use them. Tiffin will let many reputable locals work on warranty work. At least, they have for us.
Not only shops, but they will often send you the parts to do it yourself if they feel that you can handle the job. That's a real win-win in my book.
Old 04-28-2023, 10:14 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Unfortunately, very common. They just don't care as they feel you screwed them by buying elsewhere so why not return the favor?

The flip side... Even when working with the local dealer you have purchased from, a set of Amazon Blink cameras scattered throughout the coach with a local MiFi connecting them to the cloud via internet over cellular are required (IMHO) to keep your local dealer honest. If I had a dime for every time I was told they did something to the rig when they didn't I'd be rich. This is especially true of the chassis dealers (in my case Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis). I cannot tell you how many times I've called after seeing all they've done for weeks and weeks (3 months once) simply moving the rig from point A to point B vs actually touching it. I call? Oh, yah, we've done XYZ. Bovine scat... Then that day or the next day they actually decide to work on it.

Lastly, I agree on doing it yourself or with a mobile tech if you can. On my rig I did most repairs myself with Tiffin gladly shipping me the parts for free under warranty. I just had to have a good write-up with pictures attached in my request. One time I tried to buy new parts from them for a DIY project (adding puddle lights over the cab doors as they were shipping their newer models with them and I like the look and safety aspects) and they simply shipped them to me for free with a friendly note that said "Enjoy! Good luck!"

I guess the moral of my story is Tiffin is great when it comes to parts / service. Dealers? Not so much... If you use a dealer, trust, but verify with motion triggered cameras that record to the cloud.

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, warranty