Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2022, 10:30 PM   #15

Bob W E WA, seeing as you are in the NW you might contact Dan, TV Dan, at Beaver Coach Sales in Bend Oregon. He sees to be knowledgeable about making Tiffin installed TV systems work better.
RonAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2022, 11:06 PM   #16

To Bob WE

To correct your problem, try moving your Wally to a different satellite coax location. Your T4 dish has two satellite outputs, the master and slave . If you hook up your Wally to the slave output, you will get the no switch message when running the check switch operation. If you run check switch with the Wally hooked up to the master satellite output, it should give you the SW64 message. Move your Wally to a different location and I suspect your problem will be resolved.
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:25 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We started with Direct on our 2017 Tiffin 31BR but switched to Dish as the customer service and package plan was much better. If we had been a Direct TV customer at our home base then Direct became the better answer. Now both receivers set in the component closet as we have switched to streaming using my iPhone with Visible as the carrier. So far 100 % coverage, plenty of speed for streaming and only $25 a month for the cell connection. For us a better answer. Now thinking of selling the In Motion and the two receivers.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:59 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
The DISH Travler antenna is much larger than the in motion antenna systems which must be contained in dome. Therefore it can give you better capability in marginal treed campsites. DISH customer service is also reputed by nearly all reviews to be much better than DirectTV.
We started with the factory KingDome (worthless) and have now had Travler/DISH for about 8 years. BTW I can testify that it can withstand 65mph on the Interstate just fine. No damage, no noise, just had a "feeling" about our departure and stopped to check.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:34 PM   #19

For years while we were on the boat we used DirecTV since they offered the major networks no matter where we were. It worked great all the way from 1000 Islands on the St. Lawrence down to Great Exuma.
Fast Forward:
We are in the RV with the In Motion. There is no choice for HD reception with that antenna. It's DISH or no HD.
Then there are the anomalies associated with the inmotion up on the roof. It cycles between satellites during the night and we can hear it. It's annoying. Depending on the channels selected, it will have to select another satellite and there is a pause between reception of the old and new channel.
I got fed up with it. BTW it can only receive the Western Arc. Given HD is only available for many areas from the Eastern Arc where we are, the HD argument was moot.
So we had an RF Mogul installed on the roof set up for the Eastern Arc. Basically, East of the Mississippi we have HD. I think Miami is the only exception on the Eastern arc. But given we have the In motion on the roof, I flip a switch and use that antenna since it is set up with the Western arc. We put up with the early morning reflector relocations.
The DISH local channel app (on the phone) was problematic for a while but they have cleared that up (hoping not to jinx this) so no matter where we are in the U.S. from coast to coast we can get local channels HD (when offered).
I will say the RF Mogul has hooked up through trees I never would have expected to receive signal through. We also have the Western Arc software and hardware if we want to switch or sell the RV. It is also fully field serviceable and the other dish (Traveler) is NOT.

So, after using DirecTV on the boat, I will say local channels are better on DISH. HD is better on Dish and if you have to go with the larger antenna for HD with DirecTV you may as well stay with DISH and get the larger reflector.

Edit:

If I was going to add an additional antenna to get reception when trees obstuct the RV dish, I'd run with the Dish Tailgater Pro Premium or, the Wineguard Pro premium that can handle both arcs especially if coverage anywhere in the USA is desireable.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:41 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
You need to give Nick a call at Tiffin. He is the satellite and TV expert there. If you have the small dome Winegard and it was made after 2016 then you should be able to receive both Directv and Dish.. With Directv, dipswitch 8 is down and with Dish switches 8, 7, and 4 are down. Check with nick to verify. I just switched to Dish solely because Directv would not activate a DVR for me. With Dish you just get a Wally for $99 and add a USB hard drive for DVR capability. My wife is a tv holic and loves to record shows to watch later. I just added the wally to my home package and for $5/month I have my RV service so no turning on and off service
AimHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:51 PM   #21

That's all well and good, but IIRC you cannot get HD from DirecTV without a Traveler or RF Mogul. Further, the local channel support from Dish is easier to change with their APP.

Tags
dish, satellite