Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2021, 08:07 PM   #15

SF637-A "bricked" the Viper dashboard display

Received the Field Service Notice SF-637-A. Requested the local Freightliner dealer perform the software update while the coach was in for yearly service. Viper was working fine before the software update.

The procedure calls for the tech to download software from DTNA and place it on a USB drive which then gets plugged in under the dash. Once inserted the tech is to hold down the OK key until "File Selection" appears on the screen. It is at that point in the procedure that the Viper in my coach locked up and must now be replaced.

Drove it home without gauges after testing that all exterior lamps (brake, turn signal and headlights) all worked as they should. The side view and rear view cameras also worked normally. Exhaust brake and transmission control (manual over ride to request or limit up or down shifting) also worked normally.

Now waiting for a replacement Viper unit and as others have mentioned, probably won't be a speedy turnaround.

If your Viper is working fine, I would think twice before having this software update done, at least until there is more availability of replacement units.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2021, 10:09 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommTech View Post
Received the Field Service Notice SF-637-A. Requested the local Freightliner dealer perform the software update while the coach was in for yearly service. Viper was working fine before the software update.

The procedure calls for the tech to download software from DTNA and place it on a USB drive which then gets plugged in under the dash. Once inserted the tech is to hold down the OK key until "File Selection" appears on the screen. It is at that point in the procedure that the Viper in my coach locked up and must now be replaced.

Drove it home without gauges after testing that all exterior lamps (brake, turn signal and headlights) all worked as they should. The side view and rear view cameras also worked normally. Exhaust brake and transmission control (manual over ride to request or limit up or down shifting) also worked normally.

Now waiting for a replacement Viper unit and as others have mentioned, probably won't be a speedy turnaround.

If your Viper is working fine, I would think twice before having this software update done, at least until there is more availability of replacement units.
Wow!
Thanks for that heads up. Scary, actually.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:30 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Instrument Panel Dead

My even has been in the shop for 3 weeks waiting for the Viper Module. I may drive it to Florida from St Louis after Christmas.
Any thoughts on driving 1000 miles without instruments. GPS will tell me speed and mileage .
ldavid33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #18

Hi - similarly, our all glass dash on our new 2021 Tiffin 37BA completely failed once we took possession of it last Spring. It also just failed again on Dec 17, 2021! Bar-none, per the National Recall (that someone shows below in your post), the issue was (and is) the Viper Module that drives the dash display. When it happened the first time, they replaced the Viper Module (after waiting weeks for parts) and that fixed it (temporarily). For the last go around and given that the National Recall clearly spells this out - Freightliner told me that it is actually the software in the Viper Module that is/was the issue. They said they can just reprogram the Viper Module this go-around and that is supposed to be the complete fix so we are told. If you are still waiting for parts (like we did, and the Spider module theory, etc. didn't pan out), perhaps ask if the Freightliner service center can simply upgrade your Viper software and see if that works. Good luck and hope you have a Merry Christmas with an working dash!
HopefulRVer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:54 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Driving a 1,000 miles w/o instrument panel probably depends on you. I tend to worry a bit so I'm constantly checking gages making sure all is OK and typically all is.
I drove 65 miles to get serviced w/o panel and that was enough for me, you may get used to it after a while. Your right GPS provides your speed, and you can monitor your gas based on miles. Air pressure for breaks and engine overheat would probably be my concerns.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #20

I'm picking up my 2022 33AA on Dec 31st.
Looks like I better block off my pickup dash to practice blank screen driving!
xrpb11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #21

Try calling Tiffin. It's a 2021, plenty of free help without all the trial and error.
rmazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #22

curious if this affects those with Powerglides?
Smitty54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
2021 Allegro red 33aa dead panel

We have the same issue with our panel.
GeorgeChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:51 PM   #24

My 2006 Workhorse Chevy?

Is this recall also for my gasser?

I posted thread about this yesterday but the admin deleted it so I assume my 2006 Workhorse Chevy 454 CI gas rig falls into the same recall category?

Thanks gang and Merry Christmas!

Tags
panel