Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #1

Insurance coverage

Hi everyone —I am searching for insurance on our coach when the warranty is up! We have looked at a few but wanted to ask what others have and if they are happy with it? Looking at Wholesale warranties?

Thank you

Mary
Msbourg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #2

I assume you are looking for information on extended warranty which is not insurance. You will find many opinions on this forum, and others, regarding pros/cons of extended warranty. Probably split 50/50. Depending on your unit and duration of coverage, you are likely looking at $5000+ (WAG) for cost of warranty.

Remember that your new unit should be covered by manufacturer's 1 year warranty. So your the extended warranty basically covers the TBD years after manufacturers warranty. My recommendation is to budget $$ each month to cover cost of repairs and save the cost of the warranty. But, you can see how things go during your first year and make decision on whether you would be more comfortable with extended warranty at like month 10 or 11.

In our experience, it has been split. On our '04 Allegro Bay, which we bought used, we had extended warranty, and it paid for itself. One minor repair and two significant repairs. On our '14 Open Road, bought new, we did not use extended warranty. This warranty cost over 2X the cost of warranty on the '04. For our '19 Phaeton, we did not purchase extended warranty. I budget $$ each month for repairs and maintenance.

Good luck. Have Fun.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:59 PM   #3

The warranty on our 2020 RED is up on December 18th. We also will not get an extended warranty and budgeted for repairs and maintenance. Not scientifically, we budget about $300 per month for maintenance/repairs. This money is not touched for other purposes and I roll over the excess to the next year. For instance, the first year I budgeted $3,600 and used about $1,600 for maintenance items. I will roll that excess over ($2,000) and will add $3,600 to it. Whatever I do not use in 2021 will be rolled over again and added to the $3,600 for 2022. This account will build up and when an expensive repair may happen to come along I already have money allocated for that purpose. Hopefully in the end I will have money leftover which will mean I over budgeted (better than under budgeting).

I am not one who is in the extended warranty camp.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #4

I bought one, covers all major mechanical house and chassis systems for three years and tires for five years, and it was $3000. This is for a newer F-53 V10, so something less basic like a diesel with more expensive parts and larger tires would cost more, and that $5000 WAG above may be a good guess. I personally like working on things myself and am feeling like it was a waste of $3000, but only time will tell.
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You'll get a lot of input, both yes or no, on these. They're actually called extended service agreements or contracts (not insurance) since only the mfr can issue a "warranty". I worked for a company that supplied these to auto dealerships & the terminology is often misused.

There are 2 types of contracts: Inclusionary & Exclusionary. You have to carefully read the contract of each so you know what is or is not covered.

It's VERY important to get pre-authorization before any work gets done or you will be on the hook for the expenses despite an item listed as being covered in the contract

I believe Wholesale Warranties is one of those bandied about a lot as one with reasonable rates. They are also an iRV2 Sponsor.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:01 AM   #6

it's not just the warranty company...
this is a time to check out where you buy it...
i bought mine from the dealership...
very large coachmen dealership in mid. ga...

without telling me, they cancelled the tire warranty a month after i bought the warranty. they did not want to refund the money when i found out what they had done!
then, when i traded the coachmen for a tiffin, they told me it would transfer to the tiffin, (class c to a class A ) it would not transfer...

then when i cancelled it.... the process was a fight... continual delays and false information...

be very careful. document the process and who you speak to... get all questions in writing... see above post from lovnit.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
HGC

insurance coverage

We have a 2014 Allegro 36la. I will NEVER advise anyone to get an extended warranty. We had one with WholeSale warranties. Never again. We jumped through their hoops for a repair of an AC/heat pump. They denied it. We did everything right and the so did the repair facility. So we cancelled what was left on the warranty.Took almost 6mo to get the balance back. Caveat Emptor. Do your own repair account. Good luck.
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbourg View Post
Hi everyone —I am searching for insurance on our coach when the warranty is up! We have looked at a few but wanted to ask what others have and if they are happy with it? Looking at Wholesale warranties?

Thank you

Mary
I'm not much for extended service contracts either as my experience has been with 5th wheels and gassers of which I wasted my money because I did not spend that much for repairs on any of them. However, with our new Phaeton 40ih, I feel repairs on this beast could break the bank should anything catastrophic occur. Having said that, I have just completed due diligence on this very issue. Companies that were I requested quotes include - Wholesale Warranties, RVing Solutions, AmericasRV and Eagle Vision; Coach Net failed to contact me after two attempts and Good Sam was way too expensive.
All the plans are "exclusionary" which is what you want. Price for 72 months $100 deductible range anywhere from $6200 - $8100 with some plans offering 12-18 month payments to avoid the significant upfront cost if paid in full. All plans offer $200, $500 and $1000 deductible which change the cost of the plan. Some offer $400-$500 discounts if paid in full. Lots to consider, so be sure to read all the fine print of the terms & conditions. I'm still in the process of deciphering all the data, so have not committed to pulling the trigger on anything just yet.
lyonstom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, insurance