RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #1

Insurance for my Bus

When I bought my Bus a month ago the first thing I did was buy insurance from Good Sams. It cost me $3795. I thought that was a bit high so I checked with a fellow Bus owner. He suggested that I call State Farm. State Farm gave me much better coverage for $1920. I have always automatically gone to Good Sams. I have no idea how much I have overpaid in the past.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
When I bought my Bus a month ago the first thing I did was buy insurance from Good Sams. It cost me $3795. I thought that was a bit high so I checked with a fellow Bus owner. He suggested that I call State Farm. State Farm gave me much better coverage for $1920. I have always automatically gone to Good Sams. I have no idea how much I have overpaid in the past.
We pay about $1400/year for our 2012 Phaeton, and 2013 GMC Sierra pickup (toad) per year.

Try this one:
Miller Insurance Agency, Inc.
5805 SW Willow Lane
Lake Oswego, OR 97035

Work Number 1: (800)622-6347 or
marlene@millerrvinsurance.com

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have State Farm on my Allegro. Just filed a claim for tree damage to roof. No questions or problems. Only one estimate needed for repair cost and Claim was promptly approved. They also approved a replacement windshield on my old Winnie years ago. Best of all they do not raise your rate or cancel your policy if you file a claim.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #4

Thanks, that is good news.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm paying around $1300 a year with National Interstate and that includes Coach Net roadside assistance.
You got overcharged.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #6

Thanks Tony, I will check them out.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We were quoted around $2700 from Farmer's and thought that was high. We ended up with Geico at $1500 on our 2017 Allegro Bus.

I'd stay away from Farmer's. We recently made a switch to them with a lot of our insurance needs and have not been happy at all. We had a small claim which led them to try and up our rates by an insane amount on another vehicle we have insured through them. No warning or call, just a new, very high premium invoice. They also quoted homeowners for a bunch of rental properties we own. We accepted their quotes and paid, then a couple of months into coverage they decided to go ahead and cherry pick which properties they wanted to keep and sent cancellation letters for the rest. Our agent just hasn't been able to understand why we would be a little bit upset about either of those issues.
Rzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We had Wawanesa Ins out of San Diego. Had our cars and motorhome all on the policy. Just received invoice for next year 65% increase! Wife contacted San Diego, they said they have been charging too low and new company structure everyone was getting an increase! We quit them after 20+ years.
Just signed up with Amica at lower rates.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:42 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I think I've finally figured out how these insurance companies work. We were also with a company long term. I didn't even think about checking our rates. After a few years we finally did and could not believe how much we were over paying! They give you a low rate to get you in and then slowly jack that rate up over a couple of years. The wife and I have decided to check annually from now on to keep them honest. I guess we should have been doing that all along.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:44 AM   #10

I think you're making assumption about insurance that are totally untrue...

no company is looking to 'overcharge' or 'screw' anyone... their rates are set and regulated by each STATE where they are licensed to sell policies, period. Each State's job is to make sure that insurance companies rates are reasonable for the coverages they offer.
yes, from time to time one company may seem to be higher than another, and so forth... but that's in EVERY business!
no, you will NEVER find one company that is everything to everyone all the time. It's just not possible. While you find one company with a good price, and you share with your friends, your friends may find that another company is a better price for them. It's not a one size fits all environment.

also, in 5 years your 'old' company that was supposedly overcharging you will be the one that other folks rave about as the cheapest for them, while your current company becomes the most expensive.

Insurance is like any other purchase. If you agree to the price when you buy it, don't go and complain to everyone that you are being overcharged. If you do your due diligence every year, you'll find that you may be changing companies every year.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #11
HGC

Insurance on bus

A company will charge what the market will bear. As far as regulatory bodies, I doubt they are very effective in protecting the consumer. Money buys power and insurance companies seem to rule. We and many of our friends in business shop insurance yearly. If you feel squeezed by your insurer get an independent agent and review your insurance yearly. It will put the power in your hands. JMHO
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #12

I was self employed for over 30 years. Same ins company for about 20 of those. Farmers walked in with a much lower cost. When challenged old ins carrier, was told my rate increased yearly, and I never challenged it? Now I call FMCA, and they find me the best rate. Have had Miller and now with Interstate. Both were suggested by FMCA, in different years.
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:37 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
I think you're making assumption about insurance that are totally untrue...

no company is looking to 'overcharge' or 'screw' anyone... their rates are set and regulated by each STATE where they are licensed to sell policies, period. Each State's job is to make sure that insurance companies rates are reasonable for the coverages they offer.
yes, from time to time one company may seem to be higher than another, and so forth... but that's in EVERY business!
no, you will NEVER find one company that is everything to everyone all the time. It's just not possible. While you find one company with a good price, and you share with your friends, your friends may find that another company is a better price for them. It's not a one size fits all environment.

also, in 5 years your 'old' company that was supposedly overcharging you will be the one that other folks rave about as the cheapest for them, while your current company becomes the most expensive.

Insurance is like any other purchase. If you agree to the price when you buy it, don't go and complain to everyone that you are being overcharged. If you do your due diligence every year, you'll find that you may be changing companies every year.
As myself and others have pointed out, what you are claiming simply isn't true. It is true that base rates and how much a company can raise your rates annually are set by state insurance commissioners, but I can promise you they are trying to overcharge you as much money as they can possibly get away with. If you do not challenge and check your insurance rates then they will go up annually, or whenever they think they can get away with it, even if you had no accidents or claims.

If what you are saying is true then why is it that our current insurance rates are 30% lower than the company we just left? Yet, when we signed with the former company they had the lowest rates? Answer is that the former company gave us a great deal to get us to sign on and then raised our rates annually as much as they could. Same thing will happen with this company until we call, shop around and let them know we will switch unless they keep our rates low.

Maybe I'm just jaded, but these companies are out to make money and as much of it as possible, not just provide us insurance because they like us. If the commissioner says they can raise rates annually by 5% it is up to them if they do that and they seem to always do that. This is at least the 3rd time we have looked at quotes and found out that our previous 'lowest' quoted company has crept up to be very expensive over a number of years without any claims to justify.

And I will say this, I have every right to 'go and complain to everyone I am being overcharged' when I agreed to pay a certain price with a company and they raise that rate DRAMATICALLY over a fairly short period of time without justification only to find out that other companies are much, much lower. It's simple bait and switch and it's not ethical. A certain amount of inflation is understandable, but what some of them do is straight up wrong.

Bottom line is that my advice is to check your insurance rates annually to make sure you are still getting a decent deal. If you believe they all charge the same thing because it's set by the commissioner, they won't up your rates at all because they are nice or they can't, or something else, well, that's up to you I guess, but it certainly has not been our experience.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #14

I indicated above how wonderful State Farm is. Not True! I asked for a 12 month policy and the agent sold me one for $1920. I thought that was wonderful. Two weeks later I received an invoice from State Farm billing me for $3900 for the SIX month policy that I signed up for. That means that they want me to pay $7800 for one year coverage. In addition, they did not give me credit for the $1920 I paid two weeks ago. That is one messed up company. I will go in Monday and cancel whatever it was that I bought and keep looking.

Tags
insurance