Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #1

In a previous post I indicated we were replacing some interior lights in our Bus with LED's. Well, we're all finished and I thought perhaps others would be interested in what we chose.

I ordered them from LED Light

I found it best to order one or two of the type you're interested in and try them before making a decision as colors vary and can make some interiors look a bit kooky, and others can be too bright or not bright enough. I replaced halogens with 35263's, 921's with 45689's and 1003's with 28345's.

In the bedroom we replaced the 14 halogens (1 amp plus for each light and a lot of heat) with the LED's and are now drawing 1.77 amps for all instead of 17 amps with the halogens.

They're not cheap. but the look is most presentable and they're indispensable if you do a lot of boondocking as we do.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #2

In a previous post I indicated we were replacing some interior lights in our Bus with LED's. Well, we're all finished and I thought perhaps others would be interested in what we chose.

I ordered them from LED Light

I found it best to order one or two of the type you're interested in and try them before making a decision as colors vary and can make some interiors look a bit kooky, and others can be too bright or not bright enough. I replaced halogens with 35263's, 921's with 45689's and 1003's with 28345's.

In the bedroom we replaced the 14 halogens (1 amp plus for each light and a lot of heat) with the LED's and are now drawing 1.77 amps for all instead of 17 amps with the halogens.

They're not cheap. but the look is most presentable and they're indispensable if you do a lot of boondocking as we do.

John
Old 06-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Cat

I would like to replace some of my 921 with something brighter(leds). What do you think I should go to?
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #4

Cat, the term brighter with LED's is somewhat nebulous. Because they are so directional and so monochromatic the brightness factor is very subjective. It also depends on what fixture they are going in. What I did was to order four different bulb arrangements with differing LED numbers, orientations and colors (white, superwhite, warm white). I then put these in the fixtures I was going to be using them in and actually tried them out. In truth, even using this technique didn't work out completely. In some fixtures my wife chose a different LED than I would have chosen.

Our overall compromise was the 45689's and I think they're going to work out well. These things are very different than what I'm used to. They take a bit to get used to as colors of the interiors look different, and at first the lights appear less bright than an incandescent bulb does. But when I then try to read or do other things that I need to do, they are fine.

Good luck in your search. Let us know what you decide on if you go the full route.

John
Old 06-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pigman:
Cat, the term brighter with LED's is somewhat nebulous. Because they are so directional and so monochromatic the brightness factor is very subjective. It also depends on what fixture they are going in. What I did was to order four different bulb arrangements with differing LED numbers, orientations and colors (white, superwhite, warm white). I then put these in the fixtures I was going to be using them in and actually tried them out. In truth, even using this technique didn't work out completely. In some fixtures my wife chose a different LED than I would have chosen.

Our overall compromise was the 45689's and I think they're going to work out well. These things are very different than what I'm used to. They take a bit to get used to as colors of the interiors look different, and at first the lights appear less bright than an incandescent bulb does. But when I then try to read or do other things that I need to do, they are fine.

Good luck in your search. Let us know what you decide on if you go the full route.

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pigman,

What do you know of lower temperature performance? Are LEDs Like some flouescent lights where lower temperatures reduces light output noticeably?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #6

Haven't had too much chance to really check the temperature issue out yet as we just put them in over the last 45 days. It does seem that when you first turn them on that they are less bright than they are when you turn them off. The only thing is that changes occur so gradually that there's no way to recognize when you're at full illumination. It just seems to happen when you're not watching, even when you're trying to watch for it.

Another issue is that the colors of the light are so different from incandescents that some of the apparent "brightness" changes may be visual perception and getting used to it.

We keep the rig in an enclosed building and with interior lights on, after a couple of minutes I can't tell I'm using LED's

John