Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself. This is our first diesel motorhome, 2001 40' Allegro Bus in pristine condition bought in July. Previously owned 3 gas burners. Very pleased with the transformation so far. Performed my first maintenance on the generator last week, oil, filter, air filter, piece of cake. I am going to have the engine serviced within the next couple of weeks, but, I think i'm going to take it to a shop for the first service so I can watch them do it and get familiar with the location of everything and after that maybe do my own service work. I am a fairly decent wrench but not a diesel mechanic by a long shot. How many of you that have owned diesels for a while do your own service work and what would be your suggestions? Keep letting a shop do the engine service or do it yourself. Thanks for any input.
ricky5924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
paz

ricky5924, welcome to iRV2. And congrats on the new coach.

As you can see from my signature, we have a gas Allegro Bay, so I can't offer any suggestions on do-it-yourself service on a diesel. I used to do most of my own maintenance on our Bay (still do occasionally), but I am restricted since we are full-timers. Most campgrounds frown on changing oil.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info for you.

Happy trails.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:31 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ricky5924,

Welcome to the forums, lots of great info here.

Smart to get the initial work done in a good shop that is used to dealing with coaches. As you say, you will then know the location, size, etc. of all filters. Even though the age of the coach would indicate that all is out of warranty you can still take advantage of the component manufacturers info, either on the web or hard copy from them.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote