Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Inverter Power

Returned home from a trip last week and have been using internal 12 volt power since then. Today I noticed the overhead lights were dim. Checked inverter and found only 6 volts out, no 110 entering. After some time I remembered I had started protecting the hot water heater by switching off the main circuit breaker inside. I had previously used the switch on the outside of the hot water heater to ensure power was not applied to the heater accidently. I was very surprised to find that turning off this double breaker for the HW heater also turned off power to the inverter. I believe this is against electrical code and would like a reply from tiffin on this.

Herb
herbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 12:58 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The HW heater is a single breaker. If you are flipping a double breaker, you are probably turning off the main breaker......which would remove power from everything (including the inverter/converter).
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:01 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think Kiawah nailed it,, On a 50 amp rig the only double breaker is the main, all other breakers are singles less you have added afermarket 240 volt stuff (Very rare).

And you did say "THE MAIN circuit breaker"..this powers EVERYTHING.

As for code... I see a lot of stuff that makes me wonder what the code is... Standard is for major power suckers to have their own breaker but is it code or just standard of practice.

I see a lot of strange stuff reported here in the forums. And a fairly large amount "In the wild" (Meaning I deal or help deal with it) and I am NOT a professional RV tech so the amount of, for example, loose screws, I have seen is alarming.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Herb,

Which coach? What year?

Water heater power switches are usually mounted up front in the overhead cabinet above the driver. You can turn off both the gas and electric at that point.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Herb,

Which coach? What year?

Water heater power switches are usually mounted up front in the overhead cabinet above the driver. You can turn off both the gas and electric at that point.
Good question about which coach and year. It would be helpful if every question contained that information if not in the signature.

As an example of differences, my water heater switches are mid-coach at the entrance to the bedroom area.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #6

Talking I'm a dummy

My coach is a 2003 Allegro Bay 37DB. And I appreciate all of the above responses. The first response made me feel like a dummy. It is a double switch mounted in the same housing to save space., not a double breaker and I should have known that. The other switch on this double switch was the inverter. They were labeled funny and the switches were close together so I was turning them both off. All is working as it should. The power panel is in the bedroom on the passenger side and part of that cabinet. Thanks to everyone.
herbc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power