Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2021, 06:02 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Inverter shuts off only while driving

First question on site. I have a 2016 Allegro 31sa, intermittently and only while driving the inverter shuts off and I have to reset momentary 12v switch in stairwell to turn back on or go directly to inverter and cycle switch to off and back to auto. The way I know this is the red standby light goes off on TV and of course the residential refrig stops cooling. This has never happened while boondocking, with generator or on shore power. There is nothing else running on AC circuit and have no problems with fuses, circuit breakers and batteries fairly new. I have checked for loose or corroded connections. Since it only happens with engine running I am thinking its issue with alternator/ Charging circuit. I don't believe it uses an isolator but rather a solenoid to engage Alt to charge all batteries but can not locate. If anyone has run into this, knows where isolator is or has wiring diagrams I'm all ears.
Thank you
Rode Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2021, 07:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My thought is that it could have more to do with bouncing around than it does the alternator. I would also start by cleaning and reseating the inverter plugs.
I think you're on the right track if you're thinking of isolating the house/chassis batteries.
You might even isolate the house batteries and start disconnecting outputs from the inverter while you drive.
Is this problem easily duplicated?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:23 AM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
While on shoreline or generator your inverter most likely passes that power through via relays.

When driving, the inverter is making the AC power for you.

If you can stop and get a voltage measurement at the input to the inverter while it is acting up you should be able to sort it quickly.

That can be a real problem of course so maybe rig a temporary wire (fused of course), from the battery and to a place where it can be seen while driving.

That aside, just some ordinary maintenance is in order. Turn the batteries off and begin tightening the connections along the way to the inverter. Make a mental note of any connections that take any kind of turn on the wrench. It takes very little to resist the flow with the wimpy push of 12 volts. Of course clean any that show any signs of corrosion.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:59 AM   #4

Check the manual to the inverter. It may have the ability to record the fault that caused it to shut down. It will also tell you what faults would result in a shutdown as opposed to going standby.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:27 AM   #5

The alternator is connected to the chassis battery and charges that. Its not involved in the house circuits.
The house battery is charged by connecting it to the chassis battery. Two cables and solenoid between them.
Unless your chassis battery is dieing, the alternator is not the problem.

If that isolation solenoid is bad, and the house batteries are weak, their voltage could be dropping, causing your inverter to shut down. But then you wouldn't be able to reset it until they were charged again.

You didn't say how many watts the inverter is, but if its more then 200 to 300 watts, it shouldn't be wired into the house battery disconnect circuit. It should go directly to the battery, with fuse.

Check all battery connections, including grounds.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Location: SD Resident = places in Green Valley AZ & Mission TX
I had a similar issue and finally discovered that the 12v power supply wire to the electrical control panel that controls the inverter (and everything else electrical) was loose at the breaker. The push-in breaker connection screw on the bus bar had fallen out and the power bus bar would lose connection when hitting bumps etc. while traveling. Took me 6 months to find, 30 cents to fix.
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:55 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The charge/aux solenoid circuit should not be involved or causing the issue.

I'd look to vibration.

I'd have a conversation with Magnum tech support. They may have insight.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:42 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
The charge/aux solenoid circuit should not be involved or causing the issue.

I'd look to vibration.

I'd have a conversation with Magnum tech support. They may have insight.

More likely Tripp-Lite inverter in the 31SA. Tripp- Lite has very good customer support. Agree with a vibration problem.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Follow up

Thank you all for suggestions, Had feedback from Tripp-lite which suggested checking all DC connections. I took out of storage Thursday and was able to do that, including tightening all DC connections, Grounds and plug-in connectors. I also did a wiggle test on wires and tap test relays to see if any fail with no luck. Today I also noticed it is happening more often and even quit powering AC while not moving. I never lose DC (12V) and by shutting off 12v switch and turning back on will restart inverter for awhile. While on shore power or Generator I have no problem. The Indicator (diagnostic ) LED indicates overload when I lose AC power but there is nothing but fridge on circuit and TVs on standby (normal load).I also tightened AC connection at Inverter, though nothing felt loose.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:19 PM   #10
YC1

What DC voltage are you measuring at the input to the inverter when it is running?? With the loads on and off for comparison.

I can play what if for a long long time buy you need to get some solid data or it is just guessing.

With it acting up while not driving you have a chance to catch it. Find places you can get to quickly or leave a voltmeter connected to. In some cases you may need to run wires out to a place where you can get to them. Fused and protected of course.

If you are getting low input voltage and the thing shuts off it may indeed reset as the input voltage goes back up after the load is gone.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:16 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Follow up #2

Though my volt guage is not high quality it did show I have same DC voltage to invertor where ever I tested. I have been in contact with Trip Lite the Inverter Manufacturer and they asked me if I had the APSRM4 remote panel and if so I should unplug and try. I do not have that but something was plugged into the Cat 8 port where it should go and 2 of the output wires were spliced off and ran to an external relay. Neither I nor Trip Lite knows what it is, I unplugged and everything seems to operate normally, will know more on short trip next week. If anyone knows what this relay operates please let me know. I will be in contact with Tiffen also to see if they installed.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:00 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Follow up #3

Well the unknown Cat 8 cable that was plugged into Trip Lite Inverter turned out to be a "hacked in" shut off switch installed by Tiffen that shares the 12 volt DC momentary switch shutoff at stairwell. I disconnected and drove and same problem occurred, inverter shut off but now I could not reset from inside vehicle. I cannot find any loose grounds or wires and it has 12volts at inverter even when shuts down, tap tested everything again no problem. Very frustrating.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #13
YC1

Quote: Today I also noticed it is happening more often and even quit powering AC while not moving.

May 11th....

Quit powering AC is a very important clue.

See if you can locate where the AC's get their 12 volts from:::

If your switch up front is getting its 12 volts from the same place look there for the connection issue.

Find which fuse controls the switch up front that you are cycling. If it supplies the air conditioners then you are on to it but still may be IF there is an issue with the fuse panel/block.

I had a loose connection on the back of a major fuse block that is hidden in my closet. I found it missing 12 volts on the side of the fuse where it should be hot. It was a real pain to chase that intermittent of course so do NOT poke around the fuse panels willy nilly. Get a good ground for your voltmeter if it takes plugging the ground probe into an extension cord ground hole.

Then with the hands of a surgeon try to take measurements on the suspected fuse block.

To summarize. The voltage that controls the front switch/solenoid may also be the source of power for the air conditioner board or boards if multiple ac's.

Banging around on the relays and switch have not caused the intermittent so are likely not the culprit.

You could run a wire to the front switch out to some place where you can connect a 12 volt test light. The light should glow until the power goes away. A buzzer muffled with tape works well if you are stationary but not driving of course.

Good hunting.

Tags
inverter