Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #1

Is a surge protector needed on Allegro Red? Or does the MH comes with one??

Hello Again! Can you tell me if the Allegro Red comes from factory with a surge protector or do I need to buy a portable surge protector as soon as my new MH arrives??? Do not want to take any chances!!! Thank You!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #2

All Tiffin MH come with a surge protector of sorts but I think most have concluded it is less than what you really want. Suggest you look at Progressive Industries (either EMS-HW 50C hard wired or EMS-PT 50C portable). Both provide a much higher and robust level of protection. PI list price for either one is $431. I have had both in the past and prefer the hard wired version. The argument used to be that the portable unit was easier to bypass if it ever acted up but the current hard wired model has a simple exterior switch if that ever proves to be needed. The portable units have to be secured to keep them from walking off. I used a piece of chain and a lock for that purpose. Installation of the hard wired version is not that complicated but it is a little more involved, but once done, you can really pretty much forget about it.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #3

I thought the one in my Allegro Bus would be all I ever needed till my neighbor told me about what had happened to him. So I bought a portable 50 amp one at Camping World. When I hooked it up it said there was a problem and it turned out that the ground wire at the box had been broken. The one in my coach never saw a problem. I never hook up without it.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X-2 on Progresssive EMS...never leave home without it .
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #5

Surge Protector Needed??

Thanks for the quick update on this matter, I will be getting the EMS-HW 50C hard wire as soon as I get my MH home, my brother is an electrician I will give him the task of installing it!!! Again Thanks for the help!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #6

Been searching for information on the electrical protection issue. This sounds like the way to go. We just purchased a 2015 Allegro Red 37PA. Will take delivery in two weeks as it is on the way from the factory. This is our second and probably last RV. So still a steep learning curve to get the information into my head. If anyone can share any more information of hard wiring hook up awareness that would be helpful. This is my first post.
Clockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
the EMS-HW 50C hard wire is pretty easy to install, in goes in between the service cable( that runs to camp ground pedestal and the factory service box) you will have to buy a couple of feet of 6/3/ w ground cable to make the installation, Progressive instructions are very good and easy to follow.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
For sure. Our coach has a very good management system but there is never too much protection. One ATS will run you over a thousand.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
X's2! Out of the countless hookups we've had with no problems, there was that one or two that could've fried everything. Yep. It's worth it. Even if just for the peace of mind.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
When I took possession of our gently used 2013 Allegro RED 33AA I noticed that it has an installed surge protector so I figured I didn't need to use my portable TRC 50A Surge Guard Power Protection unit that I used to use on my 5th wheel and a 30A Winnebago. But after reading this post I'm beginning to question my logic.

Is there any danger plugging my 50A cord (connected to the built in surge protector) to my TRC 50A Surge Guard before plugging in the TRC into the RV park power box? 2 inline guards ... !?
Old 10-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's basically what I have, the EMC is before the Built in surge protection...now I hear the EMC kick in and then the house box.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are surge protectors and surge protectors...

If you go to the store you can get these little six outlet "Surge Protector" Power strips for your computers and such (I have several) these are no more Surge Protectors than a Rowboat is the Queen Mary II. (Closer to the Titanic in fact)

They are, however, very good SPIKE suppressors. (And in homes that is the greater danger.. though I got surged once. (BLEW EVERY one of those strips, Sounded like Independence day celebrations as MOV's in them became fire crackers)

However in the RV world we have the real McCoy The Progressive Industries HW-50C (or PT-50C) or their 30 amp brothers are TRUE surge guards.

They contain MOV's for Spike supression but....

IF the voltage goes too high: They shut you off to protect you from damage

if the voltage goes too low: Same thing.

Depending on the model they may monitor frequency and waveform as well.

I run 2 levels here: I have a Surge Guard brand on the end of the shore cord.. And I have a Prosine (Inverter) that feeds teh delicate stuff (like this computer)

When I got Sugred at the sticks and bricks they took out the blower motor in the furnace, the power supply in the comptuer and as I said every MOV in the house (Spike Supressor Strips).. They paid for the motor (80 bucks) but not the labor to repalce it, nor the computer power supply and the labor to replace it Nor the power strips and now they want their last 450 dollars from when I closed the account.

Guess what.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #13

Thumbs up

My 14 Allegro 50A has a, surge guard( I believe) in the power bay. My question is, if I get the 50A protector an if there isn't 50A at the camp, only 30A. Will it still work with the 50 to 30 adapter, or do I have to get one of each.
Pops90gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops90gt View Post
My 14 Allegro 50A has a, surge guard( I believe) in the power bay. My question is, if I get the 50A protector an if there isn't 50A at the camp, only 30A. Will it still work with the 50 to 30 adapter, or do I have to get one of each.

Go ahead with the 50 amp. It will work find with the 30/50 adapter.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote