Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Jacks Down Red Light above steering wheel

I'm on my second Tiffin in a year now. My 2012 30GA had a red indicator lamp on the dash right above the steering wheel that never came on with the jacks down although the HWH control panel worked fine. When I was at HWH for service, they told me that was not their problem and to take it up with Tiffin. Now I have a 2013 36LA and the damn light still does not come on when the jacks are down and the engine is running.

I got into it and found a 5 amp fuse holder fed from the ignition switch. This was a pretty decent in-line fuse holder complete with cover cap. The fuse was hard to remove, even with pliers, but I got it out and the fuse tested fine.

Looking further into the rats nest of coiled, twisted wiring mess and tie wrapped cable loops I found that the fuse then leads to a diode soldered and shrunk wrapped into the wire. The output of this diode splits into two red wires feeding the + annunciator AND the + LED lamp on the dash. There are push-on crimp connectors that look like spade lugs on this LED and I didn't work up enough courage to pull them off just yet. It's TIGHT up in there! The other lead from the LED goes to the negative connector of the annunciator AND then on to the HWH switched (ground) alarm feed from their circuit board.

So, if your annunciator works, your LED should illuminate. I get the beeps with the ignition or accessory switched on while in park and jacks down. This means that the fuse is fine and the diode is fine. Apparently I need to order a replacement LED. Take note that this is the second Tiffin motor home I have with the same symptoms. Has anyone here changed out this LED lamp?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jacklight.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	34227  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Have you looked at the wiring diagram in the HWH user manual for that circuit? The leads on the LED are most likely backwards. LEDs will only illuminate when biased on the positive lead.

coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
If that is in the HWH manual, it was very nice of them to tell me at THEIR service center, "that was not their problem and to take it up with Tiffin."

Anyway, what you are saying about polarity makes total sense and it would be extremely easy (50-50) to goof this up during coach manufacturing. Thank you for brightening the lights!

PS: Tiffin hasn't provided a HWH manual, but I will look for a PDF on the HWH site.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Hope it helps. Let us know if you get it sorted out!
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Commercial Member

seems a shame hwh did not correct the problem. tiffin is responsible for the installation of the light. that was the out the technician used to put off the repair.
hwh does supply a wiring diagram on their website for your system.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's what that red light is for? I was wondering about that. I figured that since it hasn't come on I've been doing things correctly.
DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DznyFan View Post
That's what that red light is for? I was wondering about that. I figured that since it hasn't come on I've been doing things correctly.
Me 2....
I told my wife that was the button for the ejector seat in case of an imminent crash....don't think she bought it.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #8

My 36LA also had a problem with the red LED light and it had stopped working before my first road trip. What I found was that the wire was being pinched between the steering column and the dash frame.
John Wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #9

Didn't realize I had a problem until reading this posting. Looked under the dash and the postive wire was unplugged from the light. Plugged it in now I have a red light to go along with the buzzer when the jacks are down.
melving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I finally was able to get under the dash and take a look, which is no small feat for someone of my carriage. I found that my light was wired backwards which is annoying since under one of the connections are clearly says 12V +. I guess whoever connected it either does not know which wire is the positive or they just don't pay attention. It's also annoying that this was not caught before it left the factory or by the dealer.
DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, steering