Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Just ordered new Allegro 32SA

My wife and I signed contract today to have new Allegro 32SA built. We are beyond excited! Now trying to figure which car to flat tow and the best tow bar system for it. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Pete Loomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #2

More than any other you will see Jeeps being towed. When we purchased our RV I asked which vehicle required the least amount of modifications, 4 wheel drive Jeep was the answer across the board, 2011 Jeep Liberty, we found that dealing with Car Max was a very good experience. They have a 5 day no questions asked return policy, find that anywhere else on a used car. Their pricing is right in line with NADA price value.
We have a Falcon all Terrain tow bar, the only modification I made was to add two more links and turned the cables around so that I don't need a wrench every time I disconnect the tow vehicle.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #3

I see lots of Honda CRV's, but if buying one they have to be 2014 or older. The 2015 models are CVT transmission and not flat towable. I use Demco towing products.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

We got a used 2012 32CA last year and have been happy with it. We have a 2007 Jeep Liberty that we were already towing with a class C. Tow bar is a Road Master Sterling AllTerrain. We are using a Roadmaster ADD a Brake, but If I was looking for a auxillary braking sys I would get a Irv1 it is wireless controlled. If price wasn't that important, I would look for a Honda CRV 2012-13 as soon as possible, because price will probably start going up now that the 2015 can't be towed. Think about joining the Allegro Club. We just got back from the Tiffin Rally in Orlando, FL. Got a lot of good of info about different systems in MH. If you did't order the SUMO replacement bump stops, you might want to check them out. I had a sway bar system put on at the Rally, but if I was ordering a new MH the SUMO option is good. I got my sway bar sys. from Rally's "R" Us Dave
Old 04-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #5

I tow an Equinox and have the ReadyBrute system.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Loomis View Post
My wife and I signed contract today to have new Allegro 32SA built. We are beyond excited! Now trying to figure which car to flat tow and the best tow bar system for it. Any information is greatly appreciated.
get the sumo up grade
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks you all for the information. I will start looking for a good used Jeep or Honda CRV prior to 2014. I did spec the Sumo shocks and the 24,000lb chassis so I hope the ride will be reasonably comfortable.
Pete Loomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #8

We use the Ready Brute system and pull a Chev Malibu, you can pull the new Malibu and they weight around 3400lbs I believe.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:32 AM   #9

We tow a 2011 Honda CRV. It has a section in the manual on how to tow it behind a motor home. If I remember one of the Jeeps is not too friendly. I think it was a Grand Cherokee with a certain transmission. It could be towed but had to go through a long procedure before you do it. The CRV I just start it up to warm up the oil and then run it through each gear for a minute and then to N to shut off. It can be towed for 8 hours before you have to do that again. I don't have a charge system from the motor home put in yet, but will very soon. My battery on the car runs dead after about 3 to 4 hours. I am using the Blue Ox braking system.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

Toad

Honda CRV fits our needs perfectly. Bought used Blue ox tow bar and braking system off Kijiji for a song. Only had to get a new baseplate as they are specific to the vehicle. 2 years towing and I barely notice it's behind us. Glad you get rear view camera as we use it constantly to make sure all is well back there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140621-00155.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	90625  
Old 04-06-2015, 12:06 PM   #11

We just bought our 31SA last month. We were looking for an easy hook up and felt the Blue OX tow bar was the easiest. We got the newest model. We also had the SMI brake system installed with a charger line so our car will continually be recharged. We haven't gone very far yet but so far it seems to be easy and works well. The SMI is built into our 2011 Ford Edge so only have to put it in neutral and change the little switch on the floor of the car to on. We are having a little problem with the little light that attaches to the mirror not coming on all the time. It is supposed to light up to show you that the brake is working. The Edge is a little heavy for an ideal toad but we already had it and it has low mileage so least expensive way to go.
gatorgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #12

We have a 2015 31SA and tow a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4X4 with the Jeep Active 2 transmission. Push one button and tow away! It also tows very nicely behind our Tiffin. We installed Demco baseplate and Demco tow bars with Brake Buddy supplemental braking. In fact, our next door neighbors has a Tiffin RED and just last week purchased a Jeep Latitude for flat tow. This is our first motorhome and we're leaving next week for a 3 month ride across the beautiful U.S.A. !!!

Sarah & Joe (sajo)
Rescue Hound Carley
2015 Tiffin 31SA
Demco Tow
Brake Buddy
2014 Jeep Latitude 4X4
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #13

This is our first motor home too. We plan to head out in May to Tucson by way of New Orleans and San Antonia and places in between. We are going a different way coming back but have not planned that yet. We will probably be gone for a month or more depending on what fun things we find to do. Hope we both have a great experience on our first long trips. So far we love the 31 SA if we can just get all our questions answered before we take off.
gatorgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #14

Gatorgirl - if you haven't been to Branson, MO put it on your possible list of places to stop for a few days. Dave