Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Mbe111's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Delano, MN
Posts: 162
Kenwood 571 TR GPS update maps

I am trying to update the Kenwood software and Garmin GPS maps in our 2017 Phaeton 40 IH.
I loaded the "Garmin Express" onto my lap top, formatted the Micro SD card in the Kenwood and inserted the SD card into the laptop. Garmin express loaded the Kenwood updates and then the Garmin map updates onto the Micro SD card. It seemed like everything was done correctly.

I then powered up the Kenwood 571 TR went to the Navigation screen and inserted the Micro SD card.
I expected something to happen such as a bar that runs across the screen showing percent of completion or something. There is nothing showing on the screen to tell me that there is an update of any type being done.
Has anyone updated their GPS, is this what I should expect? The download of updated maps took about 4 hours to load onto the Micro SD card.
At this point I intend to leave the GPS/Nav on all night and see if I get a message saying "download complete" sometime overnight.

I will check it out in the morning and update this post.
Thank for any help.
__________________
2017 Phaeton 40 IH
2018 Open Road 34 PA sold
2003 Mini Cooper Toad
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Props2's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: McHenry, Illinois
Posts: 359
Mine is the 570 Tr but probably the same type of install. IIRC, I inserted the chip "before" powering up the unit. Then I believe I went to the software update screen in the settings window. Sorry I cant remember the exact sequence but I followed the directions to a "t" and everything uploaded without issue. It did not take hours to upload,maybe 15 minutes or something. You need to leave the chip in the slot when finished.
__________________
2015 Tiffin Phaeton 40QKH All Electric
2015 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Mark and Lori
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Boca Raton
Posts: 285
Following....I have the 571 and got the exact same results...followed all the instructions, formatted tried different combinations of inserting the chip first, last, etc. and got nuthin'.

Waiting to get the coach back to try again or reach out to tech support.

Paul
__________________
2021 Dutch Star 4369/Spartan K2 (7/2022)
2018 Allegro 36LA (5/2018)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport/2D; NSA Ready Brute
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mbe111's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Delano, MN
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Props2 View Post
Mine is the 570 Tr but probably the same type of install. IIRC, I inserted the chip "before" powering up the unit. Then I believe I went to the software update screen in the settings window. Sorry I cant remember the exact sequence but I followed the directions to a "t" and everything uploaded without issue. It did not take hours to upload,maybe 15 minutes or something. You need to leave the chip in the slot when finished.
I ran through the sequence again, inserting the Micro SD with the unit powered off and then powering it up with the card in. I got the same results as before.

I did find this screen that says: Model: Kenwood 2015 Truck
Unit ID: 624770
Software version: 2016.10
RV Parks: 2016.10
RV Services: 2016.10
Truck down: 2016.10
Audio Version: 1.40 American English
Text Version: 2.10 American English
That tells me that my 4 hour update did not load from the Micro SD card.
I think it is time to Google or YouTube for directions.
I will let you know what I find.
__________________
2017 Phaeton 40 IH
2018 Open Road 34 PA sold
2003 Mini Cooper Toad
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
Industry Liaison
 
pbucha's Avatar




Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ft.Worth, TX.
Posts: 772
Is the SD card very new (i.e. very large and fast)?
Wondering if a smaller, slower card might be in order.
I haven't had any trouble updating my 2015.
__________________
2015 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH - All Electric w/tag
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport w/mods
pbucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
Member
 
Dugan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 83
When I updated our unit had the same results. Found that you have to leave the SD card in the unit with the updated data. It appeared that the unit doesn't download to the hard drive but accesses the SD card with the updated data. With it in the unit it worked fine and had updated info.
__________________
2021 Allegro Open Road 34PA
2015 Fiat 500 Toad
2012 Allegro Open Road 32 - sold
Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mbe111's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Delano, MN
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
Is the SD card very new (i.e. very large and fast)?
Wondering if a smaller, slower card might be in order.
I haven't had any trouble updating my 2015.
I used a new 16 GB, the program asks for a minimum of 8 GB to load the updates on.
__________________
2017 Phaeton 40 IH
2018 Open Road 34 PA sold
2003 Mini Cooper Toad
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
RodneyLadd's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Olalla , WA
Posts: 257
I met a nice gentleman at the last Tiffin Rally who does the map updates. He might be able to answer your question.

Keith Selby (317)727-2524
kselby@cardinalsales.com
__________________
Rod & Shelly Ladd & a dog named Blu
2020 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45 OPP
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon Edition
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mbe111's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Delano, MN
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbe111 View Post
I used a new 16 GB, the program asks for a minimum of 8 GB to load the updates on.
I should have said a MAXIMUM of 8 GB, 4 GB should work too.
I called Kenwood and they said the smaller flash drive the better. They said the software in the Kenwood receiver has trouble finding the files to update if the USB flash drive is more than 8 GB.
I had to order an 8 GB from Staples, couldn't find anything smaller than 16 GB anywhere in town.
I have to update the Kenwood software before I can load the micro SD card with the Garmin updated maps on it.
AND the Micro SD card has to remain in the slot for the updates to work, just as someone else had posted earlier. They said there is not enough room in the Kenwood for the old maps and new maps, so the SD card serves the dual purpose of increasing memory and holding the software updates.
I expect to pick up my 8 GB flash drive tomorrow some time, I will update this post after I try again to update the maps.
__________________
2017 Phaeton 40 IH
2018 Open Road 34 PA sold
2003 Mini Cooper Toad
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mbe111's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Delano, MN
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbe111 View Post
I should have said a MAXIMUM of 8 GB, 4 GB should work too.
I called Kenwood and they said the smaller flash drive the better. They said the software in the Kenwood receiver has trouble finding the files to update if the USB flash drive is more than 8 GB.
I had to order an 8 GB from Staples, couldn't find anything smaller than 16 GB anywhere in town.
I have to update the Kenwood software before I can load the micro SD card with the Garmin updated maps on it.
AND the Micro SD card has to remain in the slot for the updates to work, just as someone else had posted earlier. They said there is not enough room in the Kenwood for the old maps and new maps, so the SD card serves the dual purpose of increasing memory and holding the software updates.
I expect to pick up my 8 GB flash drive tomorrow some time, I will update this post after I try again to update the maps.
Finally got it to work!!
I reloaded the Kenwood update software onto the 8 GB flash drive and followed the steps to load it into the unit........could not get it to load. 3 more calls to Kenwood and the third person I talked with said try using a different USB flash drive, I stuck the original 16 GB in and it started to load the update. About 40 minutes later a message came on the screen that said update complete, I put the micro SD card in the slot and the Garmin maps began updating.
I now have update 1.5.0 April 5, 2019, Garmin GPS maps.
It certainly was not a logical or simple process for me.
__________________
2017 Phaeton 40 IH
2018 Open Road 34 PA sold
2003 Mini Cooper Toad
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
tarheel21's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbe111 View Post
Finally got it to work!!
I reloaded the Kenwood update software onto the 8 GB flash drive and followed the steps to load it into the unit........could not get it to load. 3 more calls to Kenwood and the third person I talked with said try using a different USB flash drive, I stuck the original 16 GB in and it started to load the update. About 40 minutes later a message came on the screen that said update complete, I put the micro SD card in the slot and the Garmin maps began updating.
I now have update 1.5.0 April 5, 2019, Garmin GPS maps.
It certainly was not a logical or simple process for me.
Good to know. Thanks for the follow up!
__________________
Mark and Deborah
2018 Tiffin Open Road 34PA
Kernersville, NC / Naples snowbirds
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:38 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 23
I used an 8GB flash drive to update the firmware, but I can't get the micro SD to encrypt before I can load the map update. Anyone else have this issue?
jrgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:52 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 19
You can buy a basic Garmin portable unit and it comes with free lifetime over the air updates. Plug your Garmin into your computer, select the update app and let the computer do the rest.

I have never understood why Kenwood doesn't offer the same procedure, other than making additional money off of their customers. I installed a Kenwood with Apple CarPlay and use either Waze or the Apple maps, which are constantly updated. If I travel on a backroad, I will use the Garmin maps for clearance info.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:36 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Kjon's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Peach Bottom, PA
Posts: 302
Garmin Problems

Try calling Keith Selby...( Kenwood Rep ). He helped me greatly and even connected me with a Kenwood design engineer. Had the problem solved in minutes. His number is (317) 727-2524. This info is over a year old. Hope it still works.
Ken
__________________
Ken & Monica, Peach Bottom, PA
2021 Allegro RED340 33AL ISB 6.7 Powerglide, Jeep Cherokee, Blue Ox, FMCA
Kjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gps



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kenwood KNA-G510 Garmin GPS: GPS box location in a 2007 Monaco Executive vito.a Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 20 05-03-2017 08:09 PM
Kenwood DNX7100/Garman maps Mr_D Country Coach Owners Forum 1 03-10-2016 08:13 PM
Kenwood-Garmin GPS Update? srh Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 17 12-08-2015 08:56 PM
Black Tank Flush Check Valve - B & B Molders Model 571 Darrell-Ruth Newmar Owner's Forum 5 07-11-2014 05:59 PM
Kenwood GPS update disk?? djhinds Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 3 12-31-2010 08:31 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.