Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2022, 10:51 AM   #1

Kenwood Question

Hey guys... new owner here.

I believe when we first got the coach in November, the Kenwood would come on with the coach ignition.

Now, all I get is the flashing red down arrow. I can't say for sure when it stopped coming on with the ignition.

The dash switch does still turn the radio on, so I'm good using it that way, but is there something easy I can check to try to get it working with the ignition switch again?

Thanks!
CaptainKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2022, 01:32 PM   #2

We have a 2018 Allegro Bus. Our radio has never come on with just the ignition. If fact the dash switch will operate the radio regardless of the position of the ignition switch. That makes it nice if we want the radio on while we are parked.
BRodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:02 PM   #3

Ditto. Owned three tiffins and the kenwood never worked with the ignition accessory. Only worked with the dash switch.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:23 PM   #4

My Kenwood dash radio is wired across the house battery. It's controlled with it's own on/off and I can kill it with the house battery disconnect (no vampire load).

Mike
Old 01-10-2022, 11:35 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Well…. On our 2014 and now our 2021 allegro bus, the radio would come on with either the switch or the ignition. Most times I would turn it on before the ignition and get it set up for the day. One less thing to do once under way. Add gps info, select music source etc. leaving the switch on all day while traveling and stops kept all the settings. So not sure what inconvenience it would be to only use the dedicated switch.

Turn it up and enjoy the drive…. what ever you favorite choice is. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorn View Post
Well…. On our 2014 and now our 2021 allegro bus, the radio would come on with either the switch or the ignition. Most times I would turn it on before the ignition and get it set up for the day. One less thing to do once under way. Add gps info, select music source etc. leaving the switch on all day while traveling and stops kept all the settings. So not sure what inconvenience it would be to only use the dedicated switch.

Turn it up and enjoy the drive…. what ever you favorite choice is. Jeff
Our 2021 Phaeton is the same and my routine is the same as yours.

Sam
Old 01-11-2022, 01:58 PM   #7

Thanks guys! I guess having it come on with the ignition was wish full thinking!

Happy New Year!
CaptainKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:15 AM   #8

Kenwood with accessory position

Hey CaptainKip,

We have a 2022 Phaeton 37BH and the Kenwood works with either the key in the accessory position or with the dash switch in the on position. I don't know why you were able to get power before and not now, but I guess keep being wishful!

Good luck,

Jeff
Planeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:11 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Radio power button

Congrats on the Tiffin. Both the ignition and dash switch control the power from the coach to the radio. My Kenwood can be turned ON/OFF using the power button on the radio also. This only works when the radio is getting power from the coach. Could you have turned off the radio (red arrow) and just need to turn it ON? On mine, I have to hold the power button to turn it on and off.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine Kenwood comes on with the ignition or the dash switch. I would check inside the dash to see if a connector got loose. I had innumerable problems with electrical connections when I took delivery of my RED 340 in July 2020. Fortunately all were easily fixed.
Kjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:34 PM   #11

Mine used to come on with the dash switch, irregardless of ignition status, but now I need flick the switch on, wait five to twenty minutes before it deems to play music, typically only from the USB thumb-drive I have connected as the display takes a good deal longer to light up to permit me to change the source, use the GPS or any other functions.
Kenwood sucks!
abridges01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:05 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKVA View Post
Our 2021 Phaeton is the same and my routine is the same as yours.

Sam
Same here on my 2019 Phaeton. It does NOT come on with the ignition switch in the accessory position, only in the run position.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:13 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
On our 2020 RED 37BA, with the ignition on, holding the Kenwood "Home" button will toggle the unit on and off.

If I kill the ignition with the radio still on, the radio will come on the next time the ignition is turned on. And, vice versa.

So, the radio stays in the mode I last left it when turning off the ignition.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:13 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I got this advise 18 months ago from a forum member. I called Keith and he fixed me up by calling in a factory design engineer. The problem was solved in 5 minutes.

"Try calling Keith Selby...( Kenwood Rep ) He was at the Tiffin Rally I attended........ His number is (317) 727-2524"
Kjon is offline   Reply With Quote