Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #1

Kenwood Radio/Navigation System

We have the Kenwood DNX570TR and cannot seem to update the radio system. The only place we see to put a usb is in the dash directly under the radio. Of course, nothing happens there. We cannot update maps until the radio is updated. Had anyone else tried to update theirs? Do we REALLY have to climb under the dash to to this. We were previously told that this is what we had to do.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #2

Just answered my own question. Yes, did have to get under the dash via the cabinet and there was the usb chord!!! WHY they didnt put this is the dash is beyond me! A two year mystery solved!
Old 07-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #3

We had problems getting the updates. We tried to obtain it before our summer trip but were not able to get the download from the website. How did you get the updates?
gatorgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #4

It took us all day between pulling the cable etc. You first have to use an sd card so that it reads the version your radio is. Then take the sd card back to the computer, and have Kenwood read the card for your version. Then, you have to download the updates to your computer and then transfer those updates to a clean usb. Then follow the directions on their website, and plug the usb into the usb chord that is running from behind the dash. We went thru the same cenario after the radio updates were complete to again, try and get map updates. Of course, it couldn't read our installed maps, so about the only extra thing we got was the one time traffic subscription. Its alot of back and forth.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #5

Thank you. We will have to try again to see if we can figure out how to make it work.
gatorgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:03 PM   #6

CONGRADULATIONS. You have experienced the same we did. I finally called and asked why the web-site would not connect to a map update. They answered that a map update was not yet available. That was in April of 2016. I have not checked if an map update is available since then. It is confusing when you get a notice but an update is not available. I did find that my 2013 kenwood did need a soft ware update and followed the multi steps to get it. The kenwood design for physical access in dash mounted units along with multi loads/downloads for software and map updates is not very user friendly.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #7

I agree, not user friendly at all! Ours too was a 2013 and had quite a few updates. I am guessing that there are no maps to update. A simple cd in the mail would be a better choice.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2016 Allegro and I got the message that my maps were out of date. Do you have to pay for the updates and where do you get them?
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:58 AM   #9

Yes you have to pay for them. If you go to Garmin.com and register, then it will want you to download Garmin Express. You then have to put in an sd card with your radio info, so that your computer can read your info via Garmin Express. Youll need to add the device to the program. I probably am not explaining it very well. It seemed quite lengthy. You'll need to make sure that the radio is up to date first, before installing maps.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
kbhine,
Thanks for the info. Is the SD card already in the radio, or do I have to buy one of those also? This electronic stuff is greek to me. I haven't even figured out how to get a radio station yet. Guess I need to read the book.
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #11

Yes, youll have to buy one that is an adapter with a micro card inside. The micro card pulls out and fits into the tiny slot on the bottom left of the radio. It then needs to go back into the adapter when using with the computer.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #12

Honestly, I cant remember how we found radio stations. It seems that you had to slide through the main menu for the radio? At least now we know why we could never listen to the music on the cell phone. The usb plugs in the dash are just chargers. You have to use the "behind the dash" plug for any usb functions.I have taped it to the cabinet so that it doesnt fall behind the dash again.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
The 2016 Phaeton has the Kenwood USB port installed in the dash. Makes it easier to use.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #14

We have 2 in the dash, but we discovered that they really only charge. It has take us 2 years to figure this out on our 33AA.

Tags
radio