Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

Red face Keys

2013 34TGA Keys= When we were shopping for the motorhome we looked at several. The salesman had a master key to unlock the units. The lower lock on the door. We bought the motorhome and have used the upper lock (dead bolt) when we leave it parked. This motorhome was a drivers side door that has a keyed lock, the same key that fits the lower door lock and all of the storage doors. My question is if someone were to have a "salesman's master key" he can get into my motorhome anytime via the drivers door. There is no dead bolt on the drivers side door. I am thinking of adding a dead bolt on the drivers door. Has anyone added a dead bolt lock to drivers door?
Oliver220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The thieves that entered my motorhome had a master key too. It was called a hammer.

I wish they had a salesman masterkey. Fixing the door window was about $250.00.

If they want in they will get in.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On the 2000 Dutch Star DP we had the main lock was like a lot of others as were the bay keys. The dead bolt's were keyed different on most though.
On the 2002 DSDP they went to different locks for each unit as well as having a dead bolt keyed differently. In fact, when I wanted more keys made I had to order blanks from Newmar as none of the local lock shops had them and they had literally hundreds of ones to choose from.
On the present rig I push the door button or key fob, that locks all the bay doors, the main door and sets the alarm system.
But a hammer will still let them in!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 05:37 AM   #4

A break-in is way down on my list of RV problems. Try to enjoy RVing, Dave
Old 11-12-2015, 06:28 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The bays are generally keyed the same on all Tiffin units. The salesman's master key only works in the door lock until you stick your key in and unlock the door. At that point, his key will no longer open your door. The dead bolt is keyed different in all units. The driver's door key is not keyed the same as anyother lock on the rig - at least mine wasn't on my 32CA.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #6

keys

thank for all the info. good to know that the salesman key will not open the doors once my key has been used. the main door and the drivers door key are the same on my 34tga. the storage doors are a different key. the dead bolt key is different.
I full time it, pretty much everything I own is in there. I don't need to enjoy rving I live it.
a hammer will get in but is noisy, with fellow rvers 30 feet away this my not be the weapon of choice, a key is what would worry me. lock & load.
Oliver220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:29 AM   #7

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Dirtbags will get in...but....we have a SimpliSafe system I put in with SimpliSafe stickers on multiple windows. This might stop some...but I am a realist and this is why I have good insurance...stay safe/stay aware of your surroundings....
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
The salesman's master key only works in the door lock until you stick your key in and unlock the door.
That works for house keys, but the bottom door lock is not really a "salesman" key, but a common key (yea, yea, what's the difference ). As for the comments about the hammer, I still fully understand the OP's concern. While none of us will keep out the determined, I still want to at least feel safe when sleeping at night. If you enter my MH with anything other than a key while I am sleeping, I WILL be waiting for you. However, not being able to lock the driver's door with a unique key does present a very real problem. I hope the OP can find the solution looking for rather than settling with the since I can't stop a hammer line of thought.

Like Paramedic, I also use the SimpliSafe... a very good alarm system for a motorhome.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post

Like Paramedic, I also use the SimpliSafe... a very good alarm system for a motorhome.
Looked this up on the web, looks like a home system via cellular connection. They want monitoring for $14.95/month. As you travel, does their coverage still follow you or do you monitor some other way?

- Jim & Nancy
jmarxen is offline   Reply With Quote