Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

King Bed Allegro Bay 35QBA

Hello all! I am new to the forum and am looking for some help.

There is a 2008 Allegro Bay FRED 35QBA coach up for sale and I am extremely interested in purchasing it, I've even put down a deposit. The question I have is has anyone upgraded the standard Queen size mattress for a King size (or modified King)? I have tried everywhere to try to find anyone who has done this with no avail...
The main issue I have is it that the coach is out of state and information on dimensions are not reliable from salesman. I am a contractor and do a lot of custom work. If it can be done, I can do it, but do not want to have any hokey. I just want to see if someone else has upgraded successfully.
Thank you in advance!!
IBbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2008 35QBA Gas model.

The master bedroom has cabinets on either side of the mattress and the end of the mattress fits underneath the rear passenger slide. I don't see anyway to change the size of mattress.

The only option I see is if you built up the height so you can put the mattress on top of the bed side cabinets but you would have to fold or role up the mattress to bring the slides in.

Let me know if you would like any specific sizes from my RV.

Good Luck

Tom
Old 05-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #3

Thank you Tom for your reply. I suspected that the lenght would be an issue with the cabinets sliding in at the foot of bed. We looked at a Bounder that had a custom 8" piece of upholstered foam that they would use. They slide the mattress down and put it in at the head area and gain 8" more inches for their feet.
I think the only option to to remove, or modify of the side stands. But, I am concerned with how space this will leave me on the side of bed to maneuver.
Do both of the side stands have drawers? Or electrical? Even if the countertops are stone, I have tools to cut and finish.
I think I'll take you up on that offer for measurements Tom. Can you tell me what is the measurement between the back wall and the side of mattress.? Thanks again!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
One issue you may have is getting a king size mattress in the door. Ours came with a king size bed and after one trip we decided to change it out for a queen due to the lack of space around the king. The king bed in our Tiffin was in two sections, like two twins put together so it wasn't a problem getting it out the door. However, it was a squeeze to even get a queen mattress in through the door.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
For my RV there is 14" from the mattress to the back wall. However, due to the rear drivers slide slide I'm not sure you can use that space.

Inside the slide, if you were to lay on top of the side night stands it is 74" wide. The mattress is 60" wide. I have attached a photo of what ours looks like.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	master.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	126798  
Old 05-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #6

Wow Tom!! Thank you so much! It looks like I would have to do some significant modification to one of the side cabinets in order to gain the width of the cabinet top-inside of the slide dimension.

Hmmm...I do love a challenge!