Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2022, 09:00 AM   #1

KONI Shocks Advice

2021 Allegro Red 33aa

Appreciate feedback on KONI shocks helping improve handling in crosswinds or passing trucks as well as providing a smoother ride across the many great roads in the USA.

Steering is very loose, feels like the rig is floating - especially on windy days or when trucks pass. Constant two hands on the wheel working back and forth to keep steady.

Is there another solution?

Thanks

Frank in Omaha
p024576kos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2022, 09:12 AM   #2
PKI

Alignment, correct tire inflation, Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer or the Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer, ...... slow down in high wind conditions as the different wind forces from changing directions has more or less impact.

IMHO, the Konis are a great upgrade, but folks have differing opinions based on their experiences. Slowing down will save fuel and reduce the impact of rough roads.

Research the forums. Watch the videos. Build a plan for your budget.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Alignment, correct tire inflation, Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer or the Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer, ...... slow down in high wind conditions as the different wind forces from changing directions has more or less impact.

IMHO, the Konis are a great upgrade, but folks have differing opinions based on their experiences. Slowing down will save fuel and reduce the impact of rough roads.

Research the forums. Watch the videos. Build a plan for your budget.
+1 on everything PKI stated except I don't have any experience with the Roadmaster Reflex or Koni shocks. Safe-T-Plus is an awesome upgrade and I have installed it on our last few motorhomes. It will control steering wheel wander to some extent but I suspect it will really shine in the event of a front tire blow-out. I can feel its action when riding through a construction zone with pretty severe ruts right in the wheel path.

Sam
Old 06-17-2022, 05:11 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I got both the Safe T Plus and Koni shocks. In my opinion, I noticed very little difference in ride from the shocks. However, as for the Safe T Plus, I would do it a 1000 times over. Very noticeable difference. Not that I drive with one hand or even one finger, but I could in steady state conditions if I want to. I had mine done in Tallapoosa. They did the alignment first. Veterans get a discount.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:30 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
It's crazy how different our opinions can be and I think that explains how different coach's can ride down the road. We have a 14 bus so we were fine with the cross winds but the porpoising and rough roads we could really feel. We got the Koni's all around and it made a huge difference, for us. We also added the safety plus but only in case of a front tire blowout.

We had a front tire blow out after installation and although I've not had one without the safety plus thus can't compare the difference, I will never own a coach without one again. When our tire blew, 65 mph on the Florida turnpike, rush hour on a Friday, handling was not an issue at all. I was able to focus on safely slowing down and getting to the emergency lane.

It sounds like the answer to whether the Koni's will help you is maybe. If I had to guess it's going to be a combination of things, shocks, air pressure, alignment, etc.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:23 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
koni shocks

Scott ...do you know the model and Part number of the Koni shocks you put on? We would like to put them on our 14 Bus. I noticed there are 2 different models of te shocks one is adjustable?
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:49 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
I had the same problem, rig moved a lot when passed by semi. Installed a rear track bar and that helped a bunch.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:38 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
Scott ...do you know the model and Part number of the Koni shocks you put on? We would like to put them on our 14 Bus. I noticed there are 2 different models of te shocks one is adjustable?
I'm sorry I don't know. The ones we went with were not adjustable.....now you have me questioning it. I wish I could help you and the rig is in the shop for the next several weeks.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:07 PM   #9

We had both Steer Safe and STP on our 3 Tiffins and at about half the price believe Steer Safe does a better job handling cross winds. Also, with STP when you get an alignment you’ll have to readjust the STP but not Steer Safe. JMO.
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:09 PM   #10

Track bar

Agree with HarryStone, i too went with the SuperSteer track bar, then shocks at a later time. Track bar was by far the greatest upgrade, sway is almost nonexistent and I'm not fighting the wheel to correct all the time.
ak-snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:21 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2016 red 33aa

I just had Koni shocks installed on my 33AA by Henderson’s in Oregon along with a new Super Steer bell crank. They adjusted my Safety T Plus as well. Driving up I5 I was passed by several semi trucks and did not notice them passing. My coach handles better than ever. I had a loose steering ever since I bought the coach and just thought that was how it was supposed to be boy was I wrong. I am glad I the changes done.
dpkealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:03 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought our 2020 33AA last July. I drove it home to Texas from Wisconsin. It was hard to keep in its lane and I had to totally focus on driving it. When I got home I had it weighed and adjusted the tire pressures from 110 all around down to 100 fronts and 95 on the rear tires. I then had the front end alignment done at a shop that specializes in large trucks. The tech said it was way out of spec. The Safe-T-Plus had to be re-adjusted twice to get it to track straight. These changes made it a dream to drive. Just like a big SUV.

Regards, Jerry
Old 06-25-2022, 11:56 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
shocks

On our 03 Phaeton I've replaced the shocks,(Bilsteins), Bellcrank(huge difference) stabilizer bar and bushings and added a Safe-t-plus. You can do all of these yourself and it makes driving a whole lot easier.
Npkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:08 AM   #14

We too experienced driving similar to what you describe in our 2014 QFA with 5500 miles on it when we purchased it. At first I thought we had made a terrible costly purchase. I took it to a truck alignment shop and an alignment made all the difference in driving. (The previous owner had installed Safe T Plus.). Take it to a truck/large vehicle front end shop, and they should be able to help you. A shop that works on busses and RV's only will also be helpful. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, koni, shocks