Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #1

Ladder Storage

This seems to be one of those questions like gas vs diesel, but here goes. How do you store a 6’ ladder on the rear ladder of the coach, safely? We are in the process of moving from a 32SA that has tons of pass through storage, due to F53 chassis to a 33AA that has only the slide tray for pass through storage. I’ll need the slide for all the other needed items so that leaves where to out the ladder? Using just a bungee cord doesn’t seem that safe to me. Are there devices made to really safely secure the ladder to the coach ladder? I’m open to ideas and recommendations.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #2

I've seen a lot of RV's rumbling down the road with step and extension ladder lashed to the rear ladder.

The most important thing is to lash ladder rung to ladder rung to prevent slipping... Velcro is a great investment as is a set of good ratchet tie down straps...

Of course, there is always the roof as well... (but only if you have luggage racks up there...)
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the sky's the limit here. You can use MORE than One Bungy. You can use a bunch of (thicker) Zip ties. You can tightly rap a chain around it and use a pad lock. You can go to lowe's or home depot and see what kind of clamps they have. There are Bike racks that attach to the ladders, you can ck out what kind of Clamps those Racks use and see if hardware stores have something similar. You can use a Worm Hose clamp, U bolt plate pipe or beam clamps. Or a larger Pipe repair clamp (you'd have to choose which one suits you). Or use string/rope, tie down straps or Duck tape. LOL - Just to name a FEW.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #4

I use an Camco Ladder holder and two light weight ratchet straps. Many many years ago I used to do window washing and carrying a 40 foot extension ladder on the top of a compact pick roof rack taught me good skills for securely transporting a ladder. No way my current collapsible a-frame ladder is going anywhere!

Until recently I just used the ratchet straps but found it was awkward trying to hold the ladder in place while adjusting the straps. Worked fine for almost 7000 miles, but adding the ladder holder frees up both hands for strapping it down.

I used to use bungie cords but found they break down in the sun fairly quickly. A couple ratchet straps are much more secure and hold up better to the weather.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Hea...51490/29764569
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey I just had an Idea. I was brainstorming as usual. LOL. Did you ever consider one of those TeleScopic Ladders? When collapsed they're 30 inches, when fully extended it depends on what size you want, some extend to 8.5 ft, 10.5 ft, 12.5 ft, and 15.5 ft.
I picked one up on sale at the PX, but haven't had a chance to use it yet, because my rig comes with a collapsible ladder with it's own storage harness.
At 30 inches you could pretty much fit it anywhere. JMHO.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
Hey I just had an Idea. I was brainstorming as usual. LOL. Did you ever consider one of those TeleScopic Ladders? When collapsed they're 30 inches, when fully extended it depends on what size you want, some extend to 8.5 ft, 10.5 ft, 12.5 ft, and 15.5 ft.
I picked one up on sale at the PX, but haven't had a chance to use it yet, because my rig comes with a collapsible ladder with it's own storage harness.
At 30 inches you could pretty much fit it anywhere. JMHO.
Now that’s an idea. I am not a small person, about 270 now (working my way down) and realize I need a HD ladder and even then there will be some flex and movement. But a question - since this is your basic 1 piece ladder, how do you keep it from scraping or scratching the finish of your coach? I have not taken delivery yet of the coach, but will assume there is a >3” space between the slide tray and wall for ladder storage.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:54 AM   #7

I have the foldable telescoping ladders so most of the time I use it in the A-frame configuration so there's no need to lean it against the RV. Back in my window washing days we'd wrap towels around the part of the ladder than leaned against the house. Could use pool noodles too.

I hang my collapsed and folded ladder on the RV ladder with the bracket I listed above and a couple cheap ratchet straps. Yeah, I'm "that guy."
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
I have the foldable telescoping ladders so most of the time I use it in the A-frame configuration so there's no need to lean it against the RV. Back in my window washing days we'd wrap towels around the part of the ladder than leaned against the house. Could use pool noodles too.

I hang my collapsed and folded ladder on the RV ladder with the bracket I listed above and a couple cheap ratchet straps. Yeah, I'm "that guy."

Ditto. Yeah what he said. LOL
Old 09-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Now that’s an idea. I am not a small person, about 270 now (working my way down) and realize I need a HD ladder and even then there will be some flex and movement. But a question - since this is your basic 1 piece ladder, how do you keep it from scraping or scratching the finish of your coach? I have not taken delivery yet of the coach, but will assume there is a >3” space between the slide tray and wall for ladder storage.

Again: I was brainstorming. LOL. Listen, if you decide on a 1 piece telescopic ladder and they are only 30 inches in stored mode, and affixing it to the rear RV ladder is a must, then here's what I would do: the Rear RV ladder permanently attaches to the RV in 3 places (mine does) the bottom, the middle and the top (that attaches to the roof). On mine the Distance between the "Attachments" is 36 or 38 inches. So if you want to store the 1 piece telescopic ladder you can put it on the INside of the RV ladder (between the RV ladder and the RV back wall) like that the weight of the ladder is resting on the lower attachment or middle, whichever you choose. The telescopic ladder is Wider than your RV Rear ladder. Then technically you'd only need 2 "Fasteners to secure the top. I'd still use 3-4 though. At that point I wouldn't rule out the short bungy chord because now you're not worried about the weight of the ladder being supported, but merely the motion and keeping it "Locked" in place. JMHO.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #10

I use this 7 foot collapsable ladder folds up to about 4 1/2" sqare x 7 ft long store under coach. https://www.amazon.com/fmc/m/3000179...pd_rd_wg=KhJxo
Old 09-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #11

That Amazon link takes me to a Whole Foods page??
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:29 PM   #12

All good suggestions! Thanks!
Old 09-24-2021, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
I use a telescoping ladder for roof access. Extend the first section and slip pipe insulation on the verticals to protect the coach. It can be set up in any position on the coach, so it will minimize trips from rear to front, if you only need to access the front area of the roof. Be sure to get one rated for 300lbs. They are easier to ascend and descend than a vertical ladder. Use a strap or line from the 4th or 5th rung, tied back to the coach, to secure the ladder from kicking out. Two lines tied out to the sides a bit provides more stability. I also carry a light weight aluminum 5’ ladders that has a “work platform” step at 3’ that fits easily in the basement.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage