Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #1

laundry while boondocking

07 Allegro Bus with separate Whirlpool washer & dryer - both 120 v
7500 Onan gen
90 gal fresh water
70 gal grey water

dump station relatively close by - don't mind doing that more often

#1 ok to run gen to do laundry?
#2 cost effective vs dragging everything to the laundromat?
#3 any tips or tricks
wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
#1 ok to run gen to do laundry?
Depends on where you are/rules/impact on neighbors ...as long as running the genny does not affect/offend neighbors or rules for the place you are, no problem.
[quote]
Quote:
#2 cost effective vs dragging everything to the laundromat?
General guide is max use of 1/2 gallon of diesel per hour ...the washer alone would take far less than that as it uses little current. So, how far are you from a laundromat, and what does it cost to get there. (Of course I ALSO would want to think about how long I will be there, and how much diesel I need in the tank to get to a fuel station someday ...if I would be using all my diesel and having to refuel the MH, "cost effective" takes on a whole new light!)
Quote:
#3 any tips or tricks
You might look into how much power it would take to run the washer through a cycle, and if it works with your setup you could run the washer to wash clothes, and then hang them outside to dry ...the dryer is the large current hog, not the washer. And depending on where you are, it may be permissible to dump gray water on the ground.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:49 AM   #3

you can unplug your washer and plug it into an inverted outlet so you don't have to run the genset and hang clothes outside to dry. Is there a grey water dump nearby just adapt your sewer connection to a cap that takes a hose and run it out that
cdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdolan View Post
you can unplug your washer and plug it into an inverted outlet so you don't have to run the genset and hang clothes outside to dry. Is there a grey water dump nearby just adapt your sewer connection to a cap that takes a hose and run it out that
Getting at the outlet requires an acrobat!

Hanging outside is an option sometimes.

Gray water dump is not close enough to run a hose.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #5

[QUOTE=AFChap;1043396]Depends on where you are/rules/impact on neighbors ...as long as running the genny does not affect/offend neighbors or rules for the place you are, no problem.
Quote:
General guide is max use of 1/2 gallon of diesel per hour ...the washer alone would take far less than that as it uses little current. So, how far are you from a laundromat, and what does it cost to get there. (Of course I ALSO would want to think about how long I will be there, and how much diesel I need in the tank to get to a fuel station someday ...if I would be using all my diesel and having to refuel the MH, "cost effective" takes on a whole new light!)

You might look into how much power it would take to run the washer through a cycle, and if it works with your setup you could run the washer to wash clothes, and then hang them outside to dry ...the dryer is the large current hog, not the washer. And depending on where you are, it may be permissible to dump gray water on the ground.
Thanks for the info. Sometimes it's just the convenience that will determine how we do the laundry. But I do try to be conservative with both water & electrical usage. Other times, if we've got a good book going, a trip to the laundromat is a good excuse to read away a few hours if the laundromat is not too far away.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No toad?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our Splendid it cautions you to open the grey water valve before running a load although I think we could do a couple loads with no trouble IF the grey tank was empty to start.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Read on some site or in the 10-minute tips books about putting clothes in a tub/tote with water and soap, and let the motion of the vehicle do the agitation/washing, then empty and fill with fresh water and let it shake around some more to rinse. Then let them hang to dry.

I would try it when out in the toad. Free washing.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #9

5 gallon bucket with a snap on lid with about a 1 inch hole cut in it. Put in a few items, some detergent, some water, put a plunger in the bucket and put the handle through the hole in the lid. Then pretend your churning butter for a little bit. Sounds corny but it actually works pretty good in a pinch.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbiker1096 View Post
5 gallon bucket with a snap on lid with about a 1 inch hole cut in it. Put in a few items, some detergent, some water, put a plunger in the bucket and put the handle through the hole in the lid. Then pretend your churning butter for a little bit. Sounds corny but it actually works pretty good in a pinch.
What a great idea!
jemma112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #11

There are some non electric or light electric use small washers and dryers available that may be useful for some. You could start a search here http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie...8SI3W&isPopup=
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
And you can always use a rock down at the creek to pound out the dirt.....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #13

There are a lot of variables built into the original question. Boondocking can mean out in a national forest with no one within miles of you, and it can mean dry camping in a parking lot next to other folks 10 feet away. Different people interpret the concept differently.

I envision that most peoples boondocking involves some generator usage at some point in time. I would time my laundry activities to coincide with that time. Most onboard generators in RV's with w/d will have plenty of capacity to charge batteries and run the dryer at the same time.

I also interpret from the OP that the dump/water supply is a reasonable distance from the boondocking site. So, pulling in the slides, and jacks (or going from "level" to "travel" on the air bags) is about all it will take to be ready to dump. Now if you have Arizona rooms attached, dog pens, skirting, flat tires, wild animal snares or other attachments, those might take a little longer.

I would make a laundry day. Start the generator, wash the clothes, dump that water/refill, dry them while dumping and filling if possible, and repeat if necessary. Do it all in one day and you're good to go for another however long. We can just barely make 2 wash loads with empty gray tank, your mileage may vary.

We have enough clothes to wear clean for 2 weeks without worry. While boondocking we've been known to not shower every day and sometimes wear the same clothes more than one day. Often times we'll "accidentally forget" to iron the t-shirts and shorts. Occasionally we'll go without socks or wear wrinkled ones right out of the drawer. So I guess I'm saying that wash day every 2-4 weeks isn't, in my mind, a large burden if I can get 'er done in one day and go back to my busy lifestyle.

If you're driving to work at the office each day from your boondocking site, you got a whole 'nother set of problems which I don't remember the answers to.

We have done the laundrymat thing on occasion and it seems like 3 loads is $10-$15 each time. It'd be your decision whether to wash your frilly undies in the washer right after Farmer Fred did his overalls.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking