Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2021, 04:14 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Little Giant ladder - what size do you carry and why?

Seems the shortest is easier to store and carry but folded in half is not much height advantage. I’m not a full timer so I would only need it on the road. Your experience?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2021, 04:33 AM   #2

I just bought this ladder 2 weeks ago. It was on sale for $99 and it seems to be very well made. My only complaint would be they are a little heavier than I would like. It should be tall enough to reach anything on my MH.

https://www.harborfreight.com/home-o...der-63419.html
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:59 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I would like to have one of these ladders but I don't know where I would store it. We are full timers so space is at a premium. We aren't busting at the seams but something like this would take up a lot of space. For those that carry one, where do you keep it?
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:11 AM   #4

I carry one of these. It is stored under other items in one of the pull out trays.
I have used it a couple of times and it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Yvan-Telescop...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:50 AM   #5

I have both of the ladders listed above and by far prefer the telescoping ladder. It is lighter and smaller when folded up. I have the 15' version of the telescopic and I can easily get on the roof of my bus with it.

Curt
drillmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:34 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
i carry this ladder folds up and fits in a 5" fence post under the coach, and it is very well built and sturdy.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH_RVer View Post
Seems the shortest is easier to store and carry but folded in half is not much height advantage. I’m not a full timer so I would only need it on the road. Your experience?
We have a 14.3 ft model. Store it in one of the basement slide out drawers. I store small items between the rungs while stored. I also put out rear attachment ladder in our storage unit as we don’t need it now that I have the little giant. It actually tales up less room then what came with our Tiffin. Plus, I can get all around the coach with the little giant now. Not just on the roof...
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:55 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
I carry one of these. It is stored under other items in one of the pull out trays.
I have used it a couple of times and it works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Yvan-Telescop...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
I have this telescoping one but my only complaint, and perhaps I'm missing something, is it has to be fully extended. I've been thinking of getting rid of it and picking up a little giant. I have a 22' one for my house and use it all the time but it would be too big for on the road. I like the telescopic one since it takes up so little of a space but it seems it has only one use and that's to get to the roof. I looked at the directions and don't recall anyway to limited how high you can extended it. Even if you could limit the height you'd still need to lean it against the coach to use it which I don't like either, at least with the little giant you can use it as a step ladder, as well, and adjust the heights. What to do
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
I have this telescoping one but my only complaint, and perhaps I'm missing something, is it has to be fully extended. I've been thinking of getting rid of it and picking up a little giant. I have a 22' one for my house and use it all the time but it would be too big for on the road. I like the telescopic one since it takes up so little of a space but it seems it has only one use and that's to get to the roof. I looked at the directions and don't recall anyway to limited how high you can extended it. Even if you could limit the height you'd still need to lean it against the coach to use it which I don't like either, at least with the little giant you can use it as a step ladder, as well, and adjust the heights. What to do
My telescoping ladder can be adjusted to any height I prefer. I only extend the rungs needed for the height I need. I did have to have my wife make a pad that will wrap around the ladder and velcro together to keep from scratching the side of the coach.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I am full time and have the Harbor Freight 17' ladder. It is tall enough to lean up against the side of the motor home and provide sufficient angle for proper climbing and high enough to have something to hold onto especially when getting down off the roof. I store it in a tray on the bottom and put smaller things inbetween the rungs. Our 43 QGP came with two trays and we had to re-arrange that back storage area since our 40' did not have the back tray. This is the second ladder of this model that I have had. I got the little giant wheel kit for both ladders. Makes it much simpler getting it in the tray as well as place to place outside.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #11

I use a step-ladder long enough to wash the top of the windshield and access the slide toppers/awnings, safely. The Little Giant looks like a winner.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drillmaster View Post
My telescoping ladder can be adjusted to any height I prefer. I only extend the rungs needed for the height I need. I did have to have my wife make a pad that will wrap around the ladder and velcro together to keep from scratching the side of the coach.
I'll have to take it out and look at it once again. and making some pads with velcro straps is a good idea. Thxs
Old 04-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
OP here. Lotsa great ideas!

I’ve carried the ladder below with me for 10 years. As a frequent camper but not full timer, I’ve only had to pull it out 2 or 3 times. It folds up to a 4x4 square 7’ long and sets well into the bay. My search for a multipurpose ladder lead me to the little giant but I want to check the telescoping ladder out.

My DW reminds me that we’ve hardly ever needed a ladder while traveling, so maybe I just stick with what I have.

https://www.campingworld.com/7%27-do...ders%2Fladders
Old 04-18-2021, 05:07 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH_RVer View Post
OP here. Lotsa great ideas!

I’ve carried the ladder below with me for 10 years. As a frequent camper but not full timer, I’ve only had to pull it out 2 or 3 times. It folds up to a 4x4 square 7’ long and sets well into the bay. My search for a multipurpose ladder lead me to the little giant but I want to check the telescoping ladder out.

My DW reminds me that we’ve hardly ever needed a ladder while traveling, so maybe I just stick with what I have.

https://www.campingworld.com/7%27-do...ders%2Fladders
Sounds like a great idea why invest the money if your original works and it hardly used but for someone 6'3" about 250lbs the weight limit of 225 lbs. a 10% over limit would leave this out of my motorhome. It was one of the reason I went with the telescopic one mention earlier. It has a 330 lb load limit which is the extra margin of safety I like to have. Thanks fir the update and enjoy.