RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #1

Locked into the Rear of the Coach!

We stayed at a friend's house for a few days. The campground showers were great! Clean, lots of hot water, untimed, even free!

But this morning, I got up and started forward, only to be stopped cold by, of all things, the pocket door! In our floor plan it's forward of the bathroom and shower doors. We close it at night to keep the light out. Push one way, pull another, it just wouldn't budge. Two inches open is not enough for either of us (two *feet* and yer talkin'!). All this activity made some noise, so the DW emerged from the bedroom to see what was up. It's getting crowded; that's a small hallway.

"We're trapped," said I. "What," she asked? I explained the door would not open. Then, I explained that I urgently required the use of the bathroom, and asked her to back up. That taken care of, I waited for her to do the same thing. Then, I started to assess our options, and so did she.

Tools? Lots of 'em. All of them forward of the door. Phones? Yup. Forward of the door. Emergency exit? Yes, but let's not do that yet. My Swiss Army knife is in my pants pocket, so we are not entirely without tools. Hmmm...I bet I can release the pocket door from its runners at the top. If I can see them, that is. I start to pile up clothes as the DW starts to laugh, almost uncontrollably. "At least we're on the bathroom side," says she. Yeah, that was funny. I laughed too. Beat the alternatives (using waste baskets...uck!)

The clothing pile wasn't working out well. I thought about using a drawer when I remembered the guest chairs under the bed, but before I could articulate that thought ahead of the morning's first coffee, the DW asked why I didn't just use the folding step stool. Uh...

OK, standing on the step stool I can see what I need to see. With the screwdriver blade on the knife I can release the retainers and dismount the door. Great! While trying to get it out, I suddenly realize it's come loose and will go past what it was stuck on.

"We're free," I cry, "*free,*" to more laughter.

Then, the work starts. I have to dismount the bathroom door to make room to remove the pocket door. Tiffin did a very good job on that door, using a piano hinge. With lots of screws. But I have a power screwdriver aboard, so I get them all out, remove the sliding door, and find...

There are overlapping pieces of 1/4 luan inside. Once glued at the factory, before being placed in its hard to access spot, one section has come loose of its partner. High humidity made it bow out, trapping the pocket door. I borrow a hot melt glue gun from our friends. It won't fit. I heat a screwdriver over the range, put a glob of hot melt glue on it, get it into the gap to get some glue where we need it most, and hold everything in place for a minute. Then I put it all back together. It'll get pulled apart again tomorrow for a less fragile fix. I'm thinking I'll make a custom long nozzle for my own glue gun to get into that gap, and just glue the whole thing in sections, because in my mind this beats removing the shower.

The moral of the story? Not only McGyver needs his Swiss Army knife handy.

The DW did finally stop laughing at some point (smile). Our friends got a good chuckle, too. But what a start to the morning!

More seriously, if you have an Allegro Bus, or anything else with a pocket door, it's worth looking to see whether you are developing the same problem.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 10:40 PM   #2

My 2019 Allegro Red had a problem with the pocket door for bathroom jamming closed. At least it didn't prevent me from forcing the door open.

I finally figured out that there is a vertical bar that rides up over a ramp at the end of the track to latch the door closed. I found the ramp was broken and the bar jamming, preventing the door from unlatching. Took a number of hours to dismantle the door & then I found the track was not fastened to the ceiling near the closed part so the weight of the door dragged the track down. This was not easy to see until I removed the bathroom side facia hiding the door track.

The track rollers for the door have a swivel lock on them, they are hard to see. With a screwdriver you can pivot them outward toward the front of the coach and allow access to remove the door and/or adjust the rollers.
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Funny story....it's always something in an RV.

In my 2008 Tiffin, the forward pocket door gets stuck, and I have found that by pulling up on the door from the bottom corner will allow to slide back effortless (while pushing on the actual direction to close would be fruitless).
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
Funny story....it's always something in an RV.

In my 2008 Tiffin, the forward pocket door gets stuck, and I have found that by pulling up on the door from the bottom corner will allow to slide back effortless (while pushing on the actual direction to close would be fruitless).
Same door. Perhaps the same problem, but I can't be sure from what you wrote. The panel that bowed out bowed out near the middle. I didn't try cocking the door, but it doesn't cock much because the tracks don't allow much misalignment. If yours bows out more, it could prevent you from opening it at all.

It took unexpectedly long to make the glue gun extension. Who mixes metric thread sizes with fractional flats? USM in the 1980's, that's who...M11 x 1.25 isn't in my die collection (gotta work on that), and setting up to single point thread is a pain in the neck for just two pieces with few threads (only four!). Plus there's a ball valve in there that needs to be pressed out hot (so the glue doesn't hold it in). So I pressed out the ball valve, drilled out the existing nozzle, threaded it, and made two adapters, one short (like the original nozzle) and one 4" long to reach the seam that needs to be glued down, pressed the ball valve back in, and tested it with the new long nozzle. I was worried that it would not conduct heat well enough to keep the tie glue flowing, but it works fine.

Pics of the problem seam and glue gun adapter to follow when I get out to the coach to make the repair. Another machining project also intervened but I think tomorrow looks promising!
Old 09-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #5

Exact same thing happened to me. Except I used a couple of nice looking small screws to fix it permanently.
nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsail View Post
Exact same thing happened to me. Except I used a couple of nice looking small screws to fix it permanently.
How did you install them? I'd *love* to use screws, alone or in combination with glue. The overlap is about 4" back from the outside of the pocket. My right angle drill won't fit in the pocket. My offset screwdrivers will fit, but the handles are less than 4" long.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:21 PM   #7

How about a Robertson type screw.....uses a square bit........most of them are sharp enough to drive using a 1/4" ratcheting type wrench....
Old 09-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
How about a Robertson type screw.....uses a square bit........most of them are sharp enough to drive using a 1/4" ratcheting type wrench....
The door is likely 1 3/8" thick, and has maybe 1/4" or so clearance per side, making the space to work in pretty tight at 2" or so. The screws need to be driven from a spot about 4" inside that slot (the pocket), perpendicular to the large surfaces of the door. A sheet rock screw is also pretty sharp, but I don't know how to get a tool that far in and be able to turn it far enough to get it to take a bite and make a ratchet work. I did secure the panel the bowed panel attaches to with some screws, but they're only an inch or so inside the pocket.

The square drive does have the advantage of being less prone to drop off while I try to get a bite, but it's the reach inside that seems like the biggest challenge. I can't even get my hand inside the pocket, just fingers.

Keep the ideas coming, though...maybe someone will come up with something more workable before I pull it apart tomorrow or the next day to glue it together.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #9

Don't know if button head are all machine screws or not, but they an allen head.....what color are the bathroom and the other wall?.....Have another McGyver idea......
Old 09-28-2020, 10:13 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
What a predicament. Glad you got out. Sorry, but I couldn't stop laughing. I think the only time we've shut our sliding door is when we had guests.

FWiW, we keep a second (the 1st is larger & in an outside bay) tool kit & folding step stool in the under bed storage. A hot glue gun isn't amongst the tools though.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Don't know if button head are all machine screws or not, but they an allen head.....what color are the bathroom and the other wall?.....Have another McGyver idea......
Button heads would be OK, but countersunk heads can be driven flush with luan. Allen, square, or phillips drive would all be fine. But on one side is the fridge, which I'd rather not remove. On the other side is the shower, which I'd likewise prefer to leave alone (grin). Startin' to look like Glue Is The Answer...
Old 09-29-2020, 05:39 AM   #12

2nd idea would of caused you to move fridge......1/4" T nuts and button head machine screws, installed from behind fridge.....T nuts in the slot......
Old 09-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
How did you install them? I'd *love* to use screws, alone or in combination with glue. The overlap is about 4" back from the outside of the pocket. My right angle drill won't fit in the pocket. My offset screwdrivers will fit, but the handles are less than 4" long.

It was easy on mine as the overlap was only about 1/2"
nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #14

Here was the problem...as you can see, the luan has bowed out, and it blocks the door from retracting into the pocket enough to get out of the rear of the coach. It's nailed in a couple of places, but that wasn't enough to keep this from happening:

And here is the slot, with a tape showing the depth of the sprung piece of luan, 5 1/2" in from the outside of the pocket:

So the first project was to make an extension for the glue gun nozzle.

Then, glue it all down so it won't bow out again; my finger tips can just reach the luan to hold it for a minute to let the hot melt glue set:

I hope this turns out to be a permanent fix!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200929_115936.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	302803   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200929_115908.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	302804  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200929_120133.jpg