RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #1

Locked out

My motorhome is running, my dog is happy but I can't get my door to open on my 2014 Allegro Bus. I can hear the lock making noises like it's locking and unlocking but when I pull the handle it's not working. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the solution? Many thanks, Rob
Roberto R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #2

Are any roof top areas large enough to drop thru? Busting a fan out would be cheaper than a window.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No spare key hidden anywhere?
Any windows unlocked?
Try pushing on the door when pulling on the handle.

Sounds like a rod fell off inside the door.
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We almost got locked out of our 19 Phaeton. On ours there's two contact pins on the inner door frame that prevent the lock from being cycled when the door is open. The pins were not set out far enough to make a good contact when the door was closed. Had my dealer fix it when we were back the area.
Learned to put a spare door key on our toad key ring.
Doesn't sound like the same problem in that with the contacts open we don't get any 'clicking' on the door latch. But the contacts are on the hinge side of the door half way between the door handle and the lower door window. You may want to try giving the door a firm smack there just to be sure it isn't a bad contact.
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it possible the door is binding in its frame? You might try a hard pull to see if it will budge.
akeagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let us know the outcome...
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #7

Sounds like the deadbolt has become locked, happened to us when I was inside. Had to take the door latch apart from the inside to get it released. We never use the deadbolt again. I also took the power off the drivers window so it can be pushed open so we wonít ever be locked in or out. Iíve seen lots of posts about Tiffin doors having this issue.
sims5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:02 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We were locked out of our 2011 AB 40 QXP. All windows were locked. We were able to unlock the big slider glass above the sofa on the drivers slide. The only issue we scratched the glass using a Slim Jim. Now we hide a door key engine compartment.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:17 AM   #9

Is it the deadbolt or the lock? On mine, when I unlock the deadbolt, I turn the key clockwise to unlock and the as I move the key counter clockwise to remove the key I pull outward on the key otherwise it will re-engage the deadbolt enough so I canít open the door.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess Robís dog must have taken off with the bus, cause we havenít heard back from him.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
I guess Robís dog must have taken off with the bus, cause we havenít heard back from him.
Sorry I dropped out of the conversation. Got lucky, just kept trying and I got it opened. I've discovered if I close it hard the handle won't work but if I'm hicareful and close it softly, it works fine. I've already had to crawl through the window. Yes, I now leave the window unlocked. Going to have a locksmith work on it. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks for all the quick replies. Rob
2014 37AP Allegro Bus
Roberto R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto R View Post
Sorry I dropped out of the conversation. Got lucky, just kept trying and I got it opened. I've discovered if I close it hard the handle won't work but if I'm hicareful and close it softly, it works fine. I've already had to crawl through the window. Yes, I now leave the window unlocked. Going to have a locksmith work on it. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks for all the quick replies. Rob
2014 37AP Allegro Bus

I found if we shut ours hard it is difficult to open the latch. However, if I press on the door while pulling the handle itís much easier.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:43 AM   #13

Slamming doors is hard on the locking hardware and the people nerves around you. Simply push the door closed with your hand or pull lightly on the inside handle. Keep a set of keys in a magnetic box under the steps. Lessons learned 5 years ago full timing.
Glad you got in.
John
Old 11-26-2020, 11:50 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto R View Post
2014 37AP Allegro Bus
Some of those locks can be adjusted. Research the make of door and lock. Hopefully youíll be able to adjust yours. Our door kept opening while on the road. Although it opened only to the second latch, it was still unnerving.