Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2022, 05:35 AM   #1

LOCKING FUEL CAP a good idea?

I have a 21 Tiffin 40IP and was wondering if a locking fuel cap would help? Does anyone know if the Tiffin comes with an "anti-siphoning" device in the fuel "neck"? The Tiffin parts folks say that the NAPA part number 703-1685 (locking fuel cap) works on my model.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2022, 05:38 AM   #2

Is your fuel tank plastic? Is your fuel diesel?
Many thieves simply punch a hole in the tank and diesel tanks have a valve for taking fuel samples that will drain faster than many siphon hoses.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:55 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Locking caps are not a bad idea and I just added them to ours because of the time in storage. There is no anti siphon feature on the filler hose but if I remember correctly it takes a 90 degree turn going into the tank that would make it difficult to get a hose in. The only thing I ran into is the passenger side fuel door doesn't close as well since the locking caps are a little larger.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:09 AM   #4

Thanks!... The 40IP is a diesel pusher.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
My fuel caps are behind a locking door. Plus when not being used, it’s parked on my property in the country. The only risk is when I’m traveling, and since that’s when I’m in it, the risk of theft is low. Speaking of low, when setting up I dump all the air then level, which precludes all but the thinest thieves. Locking caps are a waste IMO, when it quicker to just drill a hole from underneath. One of the reasons I have a heavy duty skid guard under the Jeeps gas tanks.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:38 AM   #6

When diesel first started the upward spiral I investigated a locking fuel cap plus checked on having a body shop convert my fuel door into a locking door (F350). Then I read where it was becoming more and more common for thieves to simply go under vehicles and steal the fuel. It seems like current time scum-bags may only know how to punch holes in tanks and not suck it out through the fuel fill hole. At least that is what I'm banking on. My protective skid plates will make punching a hole very difficult.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:43 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gas Caps

If my Winnie Forza 34T did not have locking doors on both fuel entries, I would certainly put locking gas caps on them. In today' society, one can't be too careful with scumbags.
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:53 AM   #8

Any person intent on stealing your fuel will have at least a couple of tools with them. A good size screw driver and a hammer will quickly overcome a locking gas cap. Or, the thief may take the even easier way out and just punch a hole in your fuel tank. I'll just let them have the fuel and forego repairing a fuel filler neck (I would have to give some thought as to how I got the debris out of the tank when the locking fuel cap was destroyed), and patching or replacing a fuel tank. Just my opinion. YMMV.
zombiewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:53 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewoof View Post
Any person intent on stealing your fuel will have at least a couple of tools with them. A good size screw driver and a hammer will quickly overcome a locking gas cap. Or, the thief may take the even easier way out and just punch a hole in your fuel tank. I'll just let them have the fuel and forego repairing a fuel filler neck (I would have to give some thought as to how I got the debris out of the tank when the locking fuel cap was destroyed), and patching or replacing a fuel tank. Just my opinion. YMMV.
Yep, that is an opinion alright. LOL Good luck
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:50 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2021 35CP. The filler neck is very long. It would take a long hose to reach the tank and a lot of suction to get the fuel out. Not impossible, just hard. Stan

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:14 PM   #11

In truck stops someone will park beside you and hook up a small quiet pump and empty your tanks into their tanks while you are asleep. If you are in the back of your motorhome sleeping, probably pretty easy for some shady character to accomplish as well.
No need to drill a hole in the bottom of my tank, just unscrew the drain plug. If you wake up, a Byrna with bear spray should get rid of them.
RonAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:05 PM   #12

I got the swirly thing for the fill tank's neck.

2 for $8. I didn't need any more keys to never find again, and then where would I be? Gas Bandit Defeater or something like that on Amazon. It prevents a hose from getting into the tank.
JimWatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:41 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I've seen more than one locking fuel cap leak water thru the key tumbler and end up with water in the fuel tank. If the fuel cap is exposed to the elements I wouldn't do it.
Of course, we live in one of the wettest places on earth, where water seems to find a way in to about everything.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:05 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Locking Fuel Caps

I solved this issue by purchasing a Mail Box lock at ACE (you know, the place!). They are $10.00. Just drill a hole in the fuel door, insert the lock, make a small slit in the side for the tab to go in and voila! a locking door.
Kendorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel