Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #1

looked at my first Tiffin..nice

New to RV's and currently looking for a used rig to be purchased within 6 months for full-timing. Went to PPL in Houston yesterday and got to walk through a bunch of diff coaches. The Tiffin Phaeton really won my heart with it's interior styling. Thought I would be looking more towards a Newmar but after yesterday, I'm really liking the Tiffins. So here is my question.. what is the main diff between the Phaeton and Alegro Bus? Is one better suited for full timing? Anything(s) in particular to look out for? trying to stay with an '05 or newer.
Drop In is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tiffin's are HOT... They are getting excellent reviews from everyone I talk too. Newmar makes a great coach as well. I own a 2008 Fleetwood (very nice). No problems

If I was shopping, Tiffin and Newmar would be in the top 5 in the mid-range price class . Don't forget about Winne's. I haven't met anyone with a Winne that regretted it. I'm sure there is someone in all makes that had a bad one, but it's overall we look at. The list is hundreds.. really hundreds
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop In View Post
...So here is my question.. what is the main diff between the Phaeton and Alegro Bus? Is one better suited for full timing? Anything(s) in particular to look out for? trying to stay with an '05 or newer.
The Bus is a higher-end coach than the Phaeton. There is about $40 to 60k difference in the price for the new 2010 coaches. The Bus has richer fabrics, fancier tile, and other options available like HydroHot heating, etc.

IMO, both the Bus and the Phaeton are both suitable for full-timing, but check the CCC to make sure you can carry enough weight for all your "stuff." We are full-timing in an Allegro Bay gasser, and and everything is holding up well after 5 years. You will be able to compare to see what new features were offered each year.

If you go to the Tiffin website and click on the model you're interested in, they have model archives (at the bottom of the menu on the left of the page) that have brochures and specs back to 2005.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #4

Three things to note for the Bus are, bigger motor,IFS, and side radiator.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Doesn't the Bus have real, solid wood cabinetry where the Phaeton has the contact paper covered cabinets like my Allegro Bay (which are very nice & I have no problem with)
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
My understanding is that Phaetons now have full hardwood cabinetry.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Phaetons have solid wood cabinetry fronts-only. The doors and frames are solid but the rest is wrapped.

Bus = 425 HP Cummins 8.9 liter ISL with 1,200 ft-lbs of torque, engine compression brake, IFS, side radiators, choice of either Freighliner, Spartan, or Powerglide chassis.

Phaeton = 360 HP Cummins 8.3 liter ISC with 1,050 ft-lbs of torque, exhaust brake, solid front axle, rear radiator, Freighliner chassis on 36-40' coaches with Spartan on the 42' tag axle coaches. Powerglide chasis available soon under the Phaeton (but no IFS or side radiator).

Bus has other bells and whistles. The paint stripes extend onto the sides of the slideouts wheras the Phaeton has plain slideout sides. Hardwood cherry cabintry throughout wheras the Phaeton has hardwood doors and frames with the rest wrapped. Solid surface counters everywhere on the Bus but the Phaeton has the dinette table and non-galey counters as laminated with solid surface edging.

Bus has Smart Wheel, keyless entry and compartment locks, etc as standard but none of that is available on the Phaeton. Also many options, such as AquaHot heating are available on the Bus but not on the Phaeton.

Lastly - the Bus costs more than the Phaeton. They are both excellent coaches and great values within their price points. You can't go wrong with either. Just pick the one that you like and can afford and go for it.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
OK I see why you like this.
IT'S HOT and the price is right.
I had steared someone on to this unit about a month ago and the price was $145K then. It just keeps getting better. Wish I could buy it.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15856-1[1].jpg
Views:	107
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	2323