Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 04:39 AM   #1

Looking at a 33AA

We currently have a 40' Discovery but want to downsize. Going to a 35' RV will give us access to several more state parks that say they don't have any 35'+ spots.
Seriously considering the 2019 Tiffin Allegro RED 33AA. It has the same engine/transmission as the Discovery.
We tow an F-150 that weighs in at just under 6000#.
I know the shorter wheelbase won't give the same stable, quiet ride as the Discovery but it's probably better that our previous gas Bounder.
I also hope for a slight bump in fuel mileage.
What should we pay extra attention to during the sales presentation, test drive, and especially the delivery for a 2019 model?
Thanks for all thoughts.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 05:15 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Where are you purchasing your rig from?
The PDI is most important. We actually had a 2+ day PDI that was terrific and answered all of our question. We also "camped" for 3 nights at the dealer (with FHU) to make sure everything worded as advertised.
Make sure you do your test drive both on back roads,city streets and the highway. Take it for a good 20 min drive.
Good luck... You will love the Tiffin
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:28 AM   #3

We're going to La Mesa in Sanford, FL today to look at one. They sent a proposal that may work out but you can never tell until the bean counters get through with the math. It really depends on the finance rates they can offer.

General RV in our area is also a dealer but I won't have anything to do with them because of past experience.

I sent an Inquiry to Lazydays in Seffner, FL but they haven't replied so far.
The weather is nasty and raining here in Florida and expected to stay that way all day. I hope they have some sort of sheltered area to do the first look.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:08 AM   #4

Be sure to test the seating for comfort. We looked at a 33aa at La Mesa but didnt like the L sofa and we couldn't get them to make any swaps. Also be sure to check out access w slides in.
IMO La Mesa is good at sales not so much w service after sale.
I don't want to imply anything wrong w Tiffins... Our issues were more layout than as nything.
We ended up w a Newmar Ventana 3433 and really like some of the layout & features vs the 33aa.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:35 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We love our 33aa. We downsized from a 42' and with the exception of a smallish bathroom and limited cargo space the 33aa fits our needs perfectly. We can get into any campground we want and have plenty of living room with the four slides open.

Yes the handling is not what we had with our 42 with the short wheel base but with the proper tire inflation after weighing and installation of a Safe T Plus at the factory outside of Atlanta, it is comfortable to drive even on long travel days.

We purchased ours at Lazy Days off the lot so we did not have any input as to the equipment installed and have had to make very few changes to suit our needs. As far as the delivery condition from Lazy Days, I would describe as marginal and after several unsuccessful trips there for warranty repairs we finally went to Red Bay where everything was taken care of. We also have had experience with LaMesa as we purchased two motorhomes from them, one from Sanford and the other from Ft. Pierce which is why we bought this one from Lazy Days. I am not trying to bash either dealership, but don't forget that their main priority is to sell, sell, sell. All I can say is, don't take the unit until all issues noted in the PDI are taken care of before you leave. All I can say is, we have owned DP's made by 3 different companies and this is by far superior to any of the others.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you don't find what you want and at a price you are willing to pay, order a new one. There are three dealers near Tiffin that really do a good job with new orders - and the typical discount is 25-28% off MSRP. The three dealers are Davis Motorhome Mart (Memphis), Martin Ingram (Montgomery), and Sherman RV (Sherman, MS). If you have a trade, they will work with you.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
KJR

The biggest livabilty issue I have with most Tiffin gas or diesel is the kitchen. Very little counter space when using both stove top and sink. The covers for the stove top are so heavy and where do you put them when cooking. The 2018 Red 33 had more counter space to the right of the stove with 3 drawers underneath, 2019 Tiffin redesigned the counter and now there are no drawers and the stove top butts up against the fridge wall. I think they changed the angle of the sink. I think you'd be constantly juggling stove and sink covers during food prep and clean up.

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #8

Be aware that some earlier REDs have the Allison 2500 transmission which is only rated for 5000 lbs towing capacity. The Allison 3000 was an option for a few years and then became standard equipment.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #9

Thanks to all. Looked at two today.
The used 2018 is several thousand cheaper and looks to be in great shape. It also has the interior layout that we like better that the new 2019 (I never liked the jackknife sofa that you have to pull out and push in. The 2018 has a regular sofa with a hide-a-bed. I also prefer the booth dinette over the chairs.

I do have one concern after looking at both the 2019 and used 2018.
The ladder at the rear seems like it will be a problem in a hard turn towing the F-150.
Does anyone tow 4 down and not have any problem hitting the ladder or will I need to cut off the lower section just below the standoffs?
Old 02-01-2019, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
Thanks to all. Looked at two today.

The used 2018 is several thousand cheaper and looks to be in great shape. It also has the interior layout that we like better that the new 2019 (I never liked the jackknife sofa that you have to pull out and push in. The 2018 has a regular sofa with a hide-a-bed. I also prefer the booth dinette over the chairs.

I do have one concern after looking at both the 2019 and used 2018.

The ladder at the rear seems like it will be a problem in a hard turn towing the F-150.

Does anyone tow 4 down and not have any problem hitting the ladder or will I need to cut off the lower section just below the standoffs?

We have 2014 33AA. Tow a Scion and never hit the ladder.
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:02 AM   #11

We took delivery of the 2018 on Thursday.
Seems they did a decent job with the PDI at La Mesa. I'm still not sure about the initial transmission filter change so I'll get that done soon.
Now for the process of seeing what fits in a 35" from a 40'.
Thanks to all who answered. I certainly hope the Tiffin will be a better experience than the Fleetwood/REV was.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Hey John, I am sure you will enjoy the 33aa as much as we do. A question, you mention a transmission filter change . The Allison manual I received shows the filter change due at 75,000 miles or 36 months. Is this incorrect?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
Hey John, I am sure you will enjoy the 33aa as much as we do. A question, you mention a transmission filter change . The Allison manual I received shows the filter change due at 75,000 miles or 36 months. Is this incorrect?
I had the initial 5000 mile service done by a Freightliner service center in Lake City, FL when I got the new Discovery.
The service manager said that Allison wants the filter to be changed after the first 5000 miles. That's just the filter, not fluid other than what was lost changing the filter.
After that the 75000 miles applies.

MDPD, I see you tow a 2016 Wrangler with your 33AA.
What towbar do you use and how close to the ladder does it come with a hard right hand turn?
I have a Blue Ox Avail and to me it really looks close.
I certainly don't want to damage the F-150 or the RV by hitting the full ladder on the rear of the RV.