Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2022, 12:26 PM   #1

Looking at a Tiffin

All, we've been looking for our first motor home and Tiffin is on our short list (both gas and diesel). We'd like to stay around $125k so we have sufficient funds in case of repair.

Doing a lot of research and became aware of what everyone here calls the "big-3" issues with Tiffin coaches.

Tried running searches on the forum to see what years the floor rot issues impacts, to no success. Can anyone help me out as to what years and what models were impacted by the wet bay floor and driver's slide floor rot issue?

I also understand there may have been a remedy offered by the factory to address the issue that extended past the 10-year structural warranty. Does anyone know if that is true and what it might have entailed?

Lastly, for those coaches that were affected, what was the fix and how can you determine if a prospective coach was repaired properly?

Thanks in advance.
offdutyagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2022, 05:11 PM   #2

The last of the big 3 was the roof that was corrected during construction midway though the 2012 model year. Can’t recall the exact date, but when I spoke to Tiffin they said it was a mix in the month or two before. If you find a coach you like, you can call Tiffin with the VIN and they can tell you if things have been fixed.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:10 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
To my knowledge the “Big 3” was on the Allegro Bus model.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:28 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The Big 3 recall (wet bay floor, front driver's side slide floor, and roof rails) affected all Tiffin models. The final correction was the roof rails in mid-2012. If you are looking at 2012 or earlier, call Tiffin with the VIN to see if the repairs were made.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And I believe that Tiffin will not do these repairs for free anymore but there have been some exceptions.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:18 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
called Lodi rv repair have not received a call back yet,Thanks again for all info,Mark
ollietravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:31 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlturner View Post
To my knowledge the “Big 3” was on the Allegro Bus model.
We need to talk more, Jeff. Had all three, and then some, on my 2009 Phaeton.

Hope your new year is off to a good start!
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdutyagain View Post
All, we've been looking for our first motor home and Tiffin is on our short list (both gas and diesel). We'd like to stay around $125k so we have sufficient funds in case of repair.

Doing a lot of research and became aware of what everyone here calls the "big-3" issues with Tiffin coaches.

Tried running searches on the forum to see what years the floor rot issues impacts, to no success. Can anyone help me out as to what years and what models were impacted by the wet bay floor and driver's slide floor rot issue?

I also understand there may have been a remedy offered by the factory to address the issue that extended past the 10-year structural warranty. Does anyone know if that is true and what it might have entailed?

Lastly, for those coaches that were affected, what was the fix and how can you determine if a prospective coach was repaired properly?

Thanks in advance.
When looking at these rigs, I felt one of the best ways to tell of the past is to ask to see the Maintenance records. We looked at several units, Tiffin, Monaco, Newmar and others. When the salesman said "Knowone keeps those things anymore" or something like that, it was a huge red flag. There is little difference between this purchase and an airplane. Other than mandatory inspections and mandatory maintenance logs. Logic says, if the person selling the unit took pride in ownership and cared for it, they usually will have some or all of the records. We finally purchased an '09 Allegro Bus loaded and has low miles, etc..... The owner had full maintenance logs as well as "RECEIPTS" since new. After a thorough pre flight (two day) inspection and a thorough test drive we bought her. Its the best recommendation I could give to a prospective buyer of a MH or any expensive item that has complex mechanical systems.

'09 Allegro Bus, 425 8.9ISL, PG, A3000, Pushed by a 2018 F-150 Platinum, Blu Ox
Her - Retired United Pilot/UH-60M Lt Col Test Pilot
Me - Humbled Senior Corporate Learjet Captain (Civilian)
Ruedog LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:29 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Looking at a Tiffin

We have not had the big three in our 2013 Open Road gasser but do have movement in various walls. Rear drivers side moves, inside rear wall in bedroom moves and kitchen wall moves. Not happy and trying to get things fixed under warranty has not worked out as the dealer doesn’t have the time to wait on hold for Tiffin’s service department. Red Bay is over 2K miles away so no go for me. Build quality on my old Itasca was a lot better. For us, the next rig will possibly be a Newmar, not a Tiffin.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0976.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	355310Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0988.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	355311
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin