Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 04:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lost lower hood louver

We lost the lower section of our hood louver while driving in horrific wind today. I assume one side became unscrewed and the mount on other side broke off. New to us coach, I had checked everything but that I guess before we left on a 2 week trip. Any issue with that being wide open? I assume I should call Tiffin to get one ordered. I always thought the grill front was flimsy but not that bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated .Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1569.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	333348
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 05:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wouldn't be an issue to run without it but it would look a lot better with it replaced. You could use the opening to make a pattern and fabricate a replacement from expanded aluminum. If your handy it would probably be a lot cheaper.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:14 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone familiar with possible salvage yards that might have this piece? Thanks
Old 06-24-2021, 05:10 AM   #4

I had a similar issue with a loose grill and found an aluminum bracket missing.
Be sure to inspect for loss of mounting grill brackets. If missing the bracket epoxy failed and you now have a warranty issue. Inspect hood grill for aluminum bracket example.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Only one aluminum bracket is left, epoxy failure I assume. Will the next ones be glued or is there a better fix?
Old 06-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo7 View Post
Anyone familiar with possible salvage yards that might have this piece? Thanks

Please tell us what coach you have!
Old 06-24-2021, 06:07 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2017 Tiffin Open Road 36 LA
Old 06-25-2021, 04:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Only one aluminum bracket is left, epoxy failure I assume. Will the next ones be glued or is there a better fix?
Be sure to have Tiffin send the epoxy product they use. If the aluminum blocks adhere properly they will last forever. I would devise a temporary shield to protect the radiator. Perhaps Hardware Felt.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Pete, ordered the grill louvers and probably will have to fabricate the missing aluminum blocks. Ordered the epoxy from 3M
Old 06-26-2021, 04:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Pete, ordered the grill louvers and probably will have to fabricate the missing aluminum blocks. Ordered the epoxy from 3M
You can purchase the box aluminum bracket stock from the box store . Have tiffin send you the self-taping screws they use for mounting.
good Luck !
Old 06-26-2021, 07:20 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is hardware felt?
Old 06-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #12

Wow! We had the same piece fall off and we have the same year and model you do. We were not driving in windy conditions or even on a bad bumpy road when it happened. I called Tiffin to see if it was covered under the 10 year construction warranty and was told no. However, they did send it to me free of charge. We took it to a local RV body shop to be installed. I think they probably did a much better job than was originally done. All the mounts on the 2 other sections seem solid. Maybe a new guy was doing the middle sections the day yours and mine were built!

The fortunate thing is when it fell off it dropped straight down and went out the back as we ran over it. No one was behind us as that chunk of metal is pretty hefty and would have caused damage if someone had hit it going 65.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was told to drill several holes in the aluminum blocks allowing adhesive to penetrate them for better adhesion. I’ll assume that is the better way to do it.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:04 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I just went out and looked at the grill of our 2018 Open Road 36la and ours is coming apart on the upper and lower sections. I had to put a new screw in lower section to hold it. Luckily didn't loose the mounting bracket. Today, I noticed the epoxy has failed on the upper sections as well.

Thanks for the heads up. Glad I checked. On the road from SoCal to North Carolina. Looks like I have a morning project to do now! A friend with a 2017 36 la is having the same issue. This does not sound like an isolated problem.
emoran is offline   Reply With Quote