Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2022, 09:06 AM   #1

Loud Beeping Noise in Coach

Hi,

New member here and need a little help please. I have a 2005 Tiffin Phaeton 35' motorhome. Low mileage coach (~72K miles) with Caterpillar 350 diesel engine, had it for a couple of years now. Recently kind of "out of the blue" this loud beeping noise has started inside the cabin. It's been difficult to determine the source of the noise as it is so loud and irritating.

Read online that it could be propane warning (don't see any problem there) or that it could be weak batteries. No problem there either as all six are one year new. Would appreciate any help you could render.

Thanks,

Doug
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2022, 09:11 AM   #2

It could be weak batteries in a smoke detector.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Hi,

New member here and need a little help please. I have a 2005 Tiffin Phaeton 35' motorhome. Low mileage coach (~72K miles) with Caterpillar 350 diesel engine, had it for a couple of years now. Recently kind of "out of the blue" this loud beeping noise has started inside the cabin. It's been difficult to determine the source of the noise as it is so loud and irritating.

Read online that it could be propane warning (don't see any problem there) or that it could be weak batteries. No problem there either as all six are one year new. Would appreciate any help you could render.

Thanks,

Doug
one or more could be bad. take them out one at a time and see if it stops. do not put any backup until you find the one, at a park i work for we have been getting in new manufactured homes and have to replace a lot of the smoke detectors.
inbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:14 AM   #4

Good guess, but not a smoke detector. I've removed all the batteries to isolate the problem so that's not it. This beep is also much louder than a smoke detector warning.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:15 AM   #5
Community Administrator

It could be time to replace the propane detector. They have a life span of approximately 6 years as I recall.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFTALL View Post
It could be time to replace the propane detector. They have a life span of approximately 6 years as I recall.
Any idea where that unit is located on this coach?

Thanks,

Doug
Old 08-02-2022, 09:21 AM   #7
Community Administrator

No but I’ll move this to Tiffin to get Owners involved to assist.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFTALL View Post
No but I’ll move this to Tiffin to get Owners involved to assist.
Thanks, my apologies as I'm new to the forum and didn't realize I was in the wrong spot.

Doug
Old 08-02-2022, 09:33 AM   #9
Community Administrator

No worries. We’re here to assist.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Propane detectors are typically mounted near the floor and sometimes incorporate a carbon monoxide detector. I'd start the search near the bedroom and work forward.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Propane detectors are typically mounted near the floor and sometimes incorporate a carbon monoxide detector. I'd start the search near the bedroom and work forward.

Take care,
Stu
Thanks, I'll take another look at it later today. I read online that possibly dust could be the culprit and that vacuuming around the unit could help. Anyone have any experience with this solution?

This is a very LOUD beep.

Doug
Old 08-02-2022, 10:22 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Depending on your model layout, the detector should be about 6" off the floor near the bedroom door.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Depending on your model layout, the detector should be about 6" off the floor near the bedroom door.
Thanks, will take a look at it tomorrow. Wasn't able to get around to it today.

Doug
Old 08-02-2022, 07:59 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
IMHO dusting won't fix the problem if it's a Smoke or Propane detector. In my many years of experience it's either batteries, detector has come to its end of life but certain components degrade over time, another reason is it got damaged another way. Usually when it's a propane detector starts EOL chirping it can be reset for 72 hrs. Before it will go off again. Though after 30 days it can't be reset anymore and you have no choice bit to replace it.
Can you isolate the area where the sound is coming? I.e. under the dash, inside a bay, etc? One note and though I've been retired for 4 years now things could've changed but if I recall RV Smoke Detectors can be hard wired with battery backup so even if you took out the batteries it could still be powered. One way to tell usually a dual powered model have a steady green light showing it has 12v power while a flashing red light every 30-45 secs usually means battery powered and working. If i recall RV Smoke Detectors have to meet stricter testing than a home one because there's more variables in such tight quarters.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise