RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2020, 10:47 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Low Voltage Warning

Hello all, I wanted to run this by everyone to see if anyone has any advice or can tell me what might be going on. After my MH sits for 3-4 days, plugged into 50A shore power, I can turn the key on to crank the engine and the dash panel reads "LOW VOLTAGE":. So far, I haven't had any issue and it's always cranked up, although a couple of times when the MH sat for over a week, it seemed a little slow to crank (engine turning over). I also haven't had to use the aux start either. After I pull in to a park, I check the chassis battery panel and it'll read in the mid to high 12V range but will steadily drop over the course of a few days and I've seen it go to as low as 12.4V. Inverter is working fine, house batteries stay charged, I don't run anything that would work off the chassis batteries when parked such as radio, dash lights, fans, etc. I've gotten into the habit of cranking the engine and letting it run for several minutes every 3-4 days . A couple of times this year, due to the "virus", I've left it in a park (full hook up) rather than driving it over 500 miles home, knowing I was coming back in 2-3 weeks due to my mother-in-law's health. I've had my daughter go by every 2-3 days to check on it and have her run the engine for several minutes. I'm just concerned one day it might not crank, of course there is some peace of mind knowing I can use the house batteries. Thanks for any help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 10:56 PM   #2

How old are the chassis batteries?
Chassis batteries are being drawn down by a 'load'....bad cell, dirty battery tops, heavy corrosion on posts/cables

Should have chassis batteries load tested and cell specific gravity tested
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:44 AM   #3

What your discribing seems normal.

The low voltage warning is because there are air heaters in the the engines intake system. They are there to help start the engine faster and cleaner.
The can draw over 150 amps from the battery for the first minute or so and that causes the battery voltage to drop below what the charge system can replace at idle speed.

As far as your chassis batteries dropping to 12.4 volts, that may also be normal.
The system that maintains the chassis batteries monitors battery voltage and when it drops to 12.4 it kicks in for an hour to recharge them. You may not even see That happening.
That way they are not under constant charge, while the house batteries are, because they are being used all of the time.

You need to break the bad habit of starting your engine every few day just for a short time. You are doing more damage then good.

Besides the wear and tear on the starting system, the short runs can leave moisture collecting inside the engine and ehxaust system.
The few minutes you let it run are not fully recharging your batteries. That takes longer at idle

Let her sit, while keeping an eye on the chassis battery. If it never drops below 12.4 volts, you don't have a problem.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Normal for Low Voltage when starting your Tiffin. And as said, donít run your engine for a ď few minutesĒ. If you want to run it, it should be run until it hits operating temp according to latest from Cummins. If you canít do that, itís best to let it sit.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Thanks for the responses everyone, that's exactly what I wanted was to get info from folks who can relate, from experience what is or isn't "normal". I would like to add my batteries are what came with the unit, a 2017, so likely they're hitting the 4-5 year mark and they're the sealed type batteries. Also, I should have clarified, what I meant by a "few minutes", I would let it get up to operating temp since I'm aware running a diesel for a short time "cool" can build moisture. I don't like cranking it every few days (thinking I needed to) so I'll let 'er sit and see how it goes. Thanks again for the responses and hope everyone stays safe and we can get back to normal very soon!
Old 09-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #6

If you want to exercise the MH operate the jacks and take it for a 30-45 min ride, otherwise don't bother starting. Batty maintainers work well to keep batty charged vs trying to use alternator.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #7

You say your in a camp ground, I wonder how your neighbors feel about your running until warmed up routine, every few days ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Great info. I thought my "low Voltage" was a one off thing for us as it only happened once a few months ago.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You say your in a camp ground, I wonder how your neighbors feel about your running until warmed up routine, every few days ?
While I'm very considerate of any neighbors in each campground, something of this nature is part of the RV experience. I would never berate a neighbor who was concerned about an issue and ran their engine or ginny for a short period. I NEVER do this during quiet times, it's always been during the day when people are out and about or not even at the camp. I pay my money just like they do so I'm allowed some leeway just as everyone else is. I don't play loud music, have 100 friends come over, never party outside, etc. In my opinion, cranking up, prepping to leave with all that commotion going on before daylight or before 7am would be out of the question if I was worried about what my neighbors think all the time. And BTW, I rarely, if ever, have left a campground before 8am.