Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Magne Shade vs XPEL XR Plus on a 2016 Phaeton 44OH

So I've read the several post on windshield treatments to control heat into the coach but this particular post is related to my particular coach and perhaps others that may have a similar type of windshield. I say this because my windshield has a space, that IMO would make installing the Magna Shade and even the XPEL XR Plus, full length next to impossible. Hence why I'm asking those that have done either or or both, how they were able to install it up into that void between the overhead cabinets and windshield? JMO but unless either method is installed to cover the full height of the windshield it would still leave that blue/tinted part of the top of the windshield susceptible to heat intrusion thus kind of defeating the purpose of the investment. No I haven't discussed with the shop that installed it on our toad which I'm happy with, his ability to install the XPEL PRIME PLUS but just seeing the space in the void I'd tend to venture it will be tough if not impossible. I'm not sure why tiffin left such a void where it would've been cleaner, IMHO, to run the header down and brought the cabinets/header forward as well as shortened the windshield to eliminate this useless space.
Sorry for the long post hopefully I've explained myself but looking for those who have Magna Shades or XPEL how it was installed and if its to the top inside of the windshield. The first picture is trying to capture the void inside then the second one of course the outside which has the blue area which is the void.
In closing i like the XPEL because it will work while driving and my experience with it living in Florida the 6 months or so we've had it on the Toad it works well and once installed nothing to do and has no impact to seeing out the windshield because its basically clear. While the Magna Shade only works while parked and takes time to install it and remove, fold and store but thats not my concern as much.. price to do windshield and side windows cost will be about the same.. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210719_103021.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	336615   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210719_103313.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	336616  

dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #2

I would talk with the magnashade folks for confirmation, however, I believe they might use external magnets at the top of the glass for this application. The shade would cover all of the glass is my belief.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #3

Here's some detailed info I received with the quote from Magne Shade:

*Upper Interference: Our fabrication notes show that your coach may have 8" of inaccessible glass at the top of your windshield. To accommodate we use upper black exterior magnets at the top of your windshield. This ensures that your shade covers the full vertical of your windshield glass providing the best performance in reducing the heat transferred into your coach. You will still have interior magnets on the left and right side of your windshield.

*Dash Interference: Our fabrication notes show that your coach has 2 1/2" dash interference, where the lower edge of your glass inside is partially covered by the dashboard. This will require small black exterior magnets to be mounted at the bottom corners of your windshield glass, giving it the tightest fit possible. We call these 'buddy magnets'.

They will also send details (a lot) on how to measure your particular coach to ensure proper fit. They are extremely helpful!

Sam
Old 07-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #4

Uh, you do realize that Magneshade goes on the outside of the windshield, right?
jrgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgator View Post
Uh, you do realize that Magneshade goes on the outside of the windshield, right?
I'm sure he does, but the magnets he's concerned about go on the inside, if possible.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:47 PM   #6

Not so sure. He talks about installing it between the cabinets and the windshield. Or perhaps I misread his post.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Not sure if your joking or being sarcastic. Of course I know they going on the outside. I'm not a rookie perhaps your unaware that my rig like many comes with an internal solar shade and night shade. I'm asking to see if anyone has install one on a coach similar to mine. Obviously you have not so I'm not sure why you replied.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:01 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I would talk with the magnashade folks for confirmation, however, I believe they might use external magnets at the top of the glass for this application. The shade would cover all of the glass is my belief.
Thanks for your response and SamKVA. I found a video earlier tonite that actually showed them mounting the magnets up in the top of the inside of the windshield that is in behind of the overhead cabinet space. It was done by Magna Shade using a spatula to help get them up there to align and eventually mount them. They also had to use several external ones for the bottom corners. I'll call them tomorrow if I can breakaway from my company visiting. Thanks again .
Old 07-20-2021, 09:58 PM   #9

Our Bay Star also has cabinets, and the dash, that block the ability to place magnets in the far outside corners. So, what Magne Shade does is they put two magnets into the corner of the shade which allows you to place a magnet on the inside of the glass and then a thinner black colored magnet on the outside upper corner so the shade covers the entire window. Our rig is at our lot, but Iíll be down there this weekend and post a picture as a reference.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:14 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
Our Bay Star also has cabinets, and the dash, that block the ability to place magnets in the far outside corners. So, what Magne Shade does is they put two magnets into the corner of the shade which allows you to place a magnet on the inside of the glass and then a thinner black colored magnet on the outside upper corner so the shade covers the entire window. Our rig is at our lot, but I’ll be down there this weekend and post a picture as a reference.
That would be great id appreciate it. Did you install it yourself? I found this link that shows them at the Company installing one on a similar Tiffin by the looks of it..
https://youtu.be/Rpqwgnf3p8I.
Do also have them on the side windows , as well?
Thxs
Old 07-21-2021, 07:26 AM   #11

Didn't mean to offend you. Yes, mine has both shades as well. I was confused by your comment that "how to install it up into the void between the cabinets and the windshield". I assumed, incorrectly, that "it" meant the shade, not the magnets because that's what you were talking about. As I'm sure you know, many people install a reflective material inside their cars/trucks/RVs, and I'm sure you also know that method isn't very effective because the heat radiates once it passes through the windshield.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:33 AM   #12

Magne Shade vs XPEL XR Plus on a 2016 Phaeton 44OH

My wife and I installed it. We originally tried the spatula trick but found she was able to reach up and place the magnets without it. As stated in the video, those magnets are strong and if they get too close together they snap back hard and hopefully your finger isnít in the middle.

After placing all of the inside magnets, I installed the outside corners. Overall, it was about a 30 minute job. Iíd recommend rolling your shade out in the sun if you can to make it a bit more pliable.

We did not do side the windows, but Iím considering it. From what Iíve read, the side windows use the exterior magnets.

We are also quite happy with it. It gives us privacy but still letís us see out during the day and it keeps the coach noticeably cooler.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:06 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Didn't mean to offend you. Yes, mine has both shades as well. I was confused by your comment that "how to install it up into the void between the cabinets and the windshield". I assumed, incorrectly, that "it" meant the shade, not the magnets because that's what you were talking about. As I'm sure you know, many people install a reflective material inside their cars/trucks/RVs, and I'm sure you also know that method isn't very effective because the heat radiates once it passes through the windshield.
I was talking about installing the magnets on the inside within the void but I've since found a video, as I stated already that shows how they did that. I'm well aware of the many ways folks try to decrease the heat from coming in but as I'm sure your aware that using anything inside may help some it also already allows the heat to penetrate the windshield. Using external means lessen that heat from entering. I've already insulated the space behind my overhead cabinets. I'm looking for more before I head out fir a long trip to the midwest next year.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Magneshaqde installation

We have a very similar coach it is a 2016 45 OP. After ordering the shade they will call for very detailed information in regards to measurements. We have both the internal and external Magnets. External are on each of the 4 Corners and internal are across top and at the corners. Honestly installation was extremely easy even getting behind dash and Cabinets. We do not have the side window covers and may in near future. We are extremely happy with the shade.
Phillieagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phaeton