Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Magnum AGS system for a 35QBA

I’m considering installing an AGS on my rig but I’m in the crawling stage of my research. One item is the type of unit to install is either a stand alone or a unit compatible with a Magnum inverter. I hav no idea where the inverter is on my coach. All I see is the transfer switch box the power line runs into. Anyone have any experience on what and how to install an AGS on an Allegro Open Road?
RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I found the inverter. It is a Tripp-Lite. I assume I’ll need a stand alone Magnum unit. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
AGS

I am also going to get the AGS. In the past couple weeks I have been reading and trying to figure it all out. I am not 100% sure but I think.. if you have a Magnum inverter the “NETWORK” AGS will plug into it. If not then you use the “stand alone” AGS
And again not 100% sure, with the “NETWORK” AGS you have to buy a “control panel” where all the adjustments are made. That panel is connected
with a “telephone” type wire.
I am mostly interested in keeping my battery’s charged and the motorhome cool when we leave it. So I went to a dealer here and asked about how the air conditioner is started. The service people said a wire had to be ran to the air conditioner on the roof. A lot of work! But recently I found the wiring diagram. And it doesn’t say anything about doing something like that.
So, I am going to get the AGS but I am going to call “ Magnum” and ask exactly how it needs to be wired.
I started to make a list of questions for them. (I would forget if I didn’t)
Below is the first questions I am going to ask.

How does the air conditioner start?
Is it set to auto and won’t start until after the gen starts?
Is the AGS wired to the air conditioner?
Jim_ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Jim-Bob:

You and I are on a mission buddy! I’m usually a pretty good do-it-yourself guy but like you I need help on this one. Here are the installation instructions they State are simple. Also, I had recently read on my Tripp-Lite inverter there are input/output locations that I was wondering could be used for possibly a battery level sender. If this is a stand alone unit I probably shouldn’t go there though.

http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sit...A-ME-AGS-S.pdf
Old 05-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Jim-Bob:

You might try to find out if having two A/C makes a difference as well.

Thx, Good luck.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It appears the remote has it’s own internal temperature sensor that is connected to the controller via a telephone type cable. I think the main concerns of the install is the following quoted from the manual link above:

“The ME-AGS-S controller is connected to the switch by a 25’ communica- tions cable. Before installing the ME-AGS-S and connecting any wires, determine: 1) the communications cable route throughout the home or vehicle/boat from the controller to the switch, 2) the start/stop signal wire route from the AGS controller to the generator, and 3) the wire route from the AGS controller to the monitored battery bank.
Info: Two pigtail adapters (ME-PT1 and ME-PT2) are available to externally enable the ME-AGS-S to automatically turn the genera- tor on/off through a manually controlled switch or an automatically controlled switching device. See Appendix A for more information.”
Old 05-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
OK, after reading the installation instructions, everything was quite straight forward to me until Page 15 figure 2-10 involving the generator wiring. It appears we’ll need to either cross reference to the generator’s wiring diagram or hopefully there is a simple plug in for each of our generator types. (I have a Cummins Onan Marquis 7000).
Old 05-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
AGS

I will ask about having two air conditioners. Over the weekend I’ll write down anything else I can think of and I will call them Monday, Tue at the latest.
I think it will be easy to install .
Old 07-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Magnum AGS system for a 35QBA

OK guys/gals I’ve purchased the Magnum ME-AGS-S and done as much research as I can. So my plan was to identify what wires go here and there. I plan on getting generator signal requirements from my dash remote installed already by Tiffin. I will get my battery inputs from the Tripplite converter/inverter. I’m attaching a picture which shows the schematic from Magnum I intend to use. The yellow sheet shows my intentions to fulfill the input requirements for the Generator and Power I/O numbered 1 through 8 (see schematic). I plan on installing the main control unit in the same compartment as my inverter and the wires from the generator remote from the dash connections to the compartment where the controller is mounted. The stand alone Magnum remote that both senses temperature and acts as a system remote control as well, will be installed somewhere inside the living area of the motorhome and the supplied communications cable will be run to the control box mounted in the inverter compartment. I am attaching the schematics and my wiring intentions so the anyone can use the information but also to request input on which wire to use for the #6 input on the controller. I plan to use the yellow- generator ground signal off the dash remote. Hopefully someone may re experienced than me can verify. ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2144.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	210524Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2140.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	210525Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1971.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	210526Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1212.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	210532
Old 07-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Jim_Bob:

I hope I didn’t steal your thread, does your install correspond to what I plan?

Randy
Old 07-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Oops, it’s mine anyway. I’ve decided to install the controller over the driver cabinet, the wiring work is easier to run from there and it’s all contained inside the motorhome. Still looking for advice on input number 6. Thx
Old 07-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I recently installed a new Magnum inverter and Magnum AGS in our coach. The AGS wiring explanation is in para 7. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/swapping-a-trace-xantrex-inverter-for-a-magnum-in-a-2004-monaco-signature-386835.html

It took lots of time and phone calls to Magnum tech Glenn Darby to figure out the wiring for the AGS. It turned out my new AGS unit was bad! If I did this again it would take much less time.
Attached below are my notes on the AGS wiring and color code for an Onan diesel generator, but your Onan Marquis should be similar. I hope this helps.
Best of luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Inverter wiring color and output (Magnum).pdf (105.2 KB, 50 views)
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:37 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
AGS

4 and 6 are grounds. I connected them together at the control box and plugged both into # 4
I wrote everything I did in detail and took some pictures but it is so long I could not post it and never was able to post pictures?
I must have got it right I have tested it several times and also set the temp and let the motorhome heat up. At that temp the generator started and the air cane on everytime.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:59 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had bought the AGS then put off installing it. With some help on here, I just cut the wires and did it. I didn’t connect any wires in different areas of the motorhome. Every wire was connected in the same location near the generator. That part took maybe 30 minutes.