Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Making Storage space behind the fireplace?

So a while back someone posted a mod that included putting a frame, hinge and locking mechanism for their fireplace that allowed them access to the space behind their fireplace. I thought I had saved it but cannot find it so I'm posting this in hope whomever has done it can repost how they've done it. Not sure but I thought it was on the same Coach as mind, as well, though I won't swear to that. It seems to me this would be a great place to store things like papertowels, toilet paper and other less used items when traveling on long trips. It seems to me this is wasted spaced but I could be wrong.
Thanks in advance.
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #2

The Alliance Paradigm come with a pull-out drawer where the fireplace is and it looks pretty usable. Have you removed yours to see if there is anything behind it?
Old 08-03-2021, 09:02 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
The Alliance Paradigm come with a pull-out drawer where the fireplace is and it looks pretty usable. Have you removed yours to see if there is anything behind it?
Not yet I'm heading home this week from our 2 plus month trip and I'll do it then but I know at least one person I saw in a post I was reading had done it and I'm hoping my post catches his or someone else's attention that have done it. I'm sure there's space there I'm just looking on how they came up with access to it.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:17 PM   #4

Have a '16QBH, fireplace is a Dimplex model and situated beneath the TV behind the drivers seat. We had Cody Poores in Red Bay build a frame and used a piano hinge on the right side, mounted the fireplace on the frame and the entire fireplace now pulls out from the left side. There is a LOT of space behind it to store stuff. The space does NOT get hot, no danger of a fire. Looks like it came with the coach
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:31 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Have a '16QBH, fireplace is a Dimplex model and situated beneath the TV behind the drivers seat. We had Cody Poores in Red Bay build a frame and used a piano hinge on the right side, mounted the fireplace on the frame and the entire fireplace now pulls out from the left side. There is a LOT of space behind it to store stuff. The space does NOT get hot, no danger of a fire. Looks like it came with the coach
Could you please send me pictures of the hinge setup, lock, space and anything else that might be good info for me to do this work. I pretty handy and have the tools to do it but like to see how they did it, thxs
Old 08-06-2021, 06:50 AM   #6

Interesting idea so I am interested as well. I have had my fireplace out since all the electrical plugs for the TV above are behind the fireplace. It is quite the bag of snakes so you may want to neaten that up and maybe clamp the wires to the wall.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:07 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Interesting idea so I am interested as well. I have had my fireplace out since all the electrical plugs for the TV above are behind the fireplace. It is quite the bag of snakes so you may want to neaten that up and maybe clamp the wires to the wall.
Thanks for the input though I just arrived back home yesterday from my 2 plus month trip back visiting my kids and 2 grandchildren the MH is heading into to resolve some issues next Monday, that that cropped up again on this trip. So it will be a bit before I take a look and see what I need to do. I'm still hoping the person that had this done will send some pics to make it easier on how to approach it. I'll need to see how much the fireplace weighs to determine the size of the piano hinge and such.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #8

Cody Poores in Red Bay built this gadget, has built 100s he says. Took a look at it, built the frame and stained it, brought it out, pulled the fireplace and attached it to the frame, which had a piano hinge along the right side. Took some fine-tuning and Voila! we had another large storage place.

Hope the pics work ok.

two screws at top to take glass front off; then four corners are mounted to the cabinet, have to be removed to take fireplace out. Tricky part is to mount the fp to the frame and fit it to slide back in the opening when opening and closing it. Has traveled well for over 2k miles since installed.
The fireplace itself is a space heater/blower, glass front and fake logs/flames. No heat behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	338863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	338866  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	338867  
Old 08-08-2021, 10:28 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Cody Poores in Red Bay built this gadget, has built 100s he says. Took a look at it, built the frame and stained it, brought it out, pulled the fireplace and attached it to the frame, which had a piano hinge along the right side. Took some fine-tuning and Voila! we had another large storage place.

Hope the pics work ok.

two screws at top to take glass front off; then four corners are mounted to the cabinet, have to be removed to take fireplace out. Tricky part is to mount the fp to the frame and fit it to slide back in the opening when opening and closing it. Has traveled well for over 2k miles since installed.
The fireplace itself is a space heater/blower, glass front and fake logs/flames. No heat behind it.
Ah thanks the person who i was waiting for, someone who had it done. Looks simple enough but I would need to make the frame robust enough to stay ridge while swung out or in to close it. I would imagine there's a plug or some wire to power the FP, in fact not sure but I might see it in one of the pictures. I'm wondering if the FP is glued to the frame or did they use the original screws to attach it to the frame . Thanks again to you and everyone. My MH goes in for some warranty work tomorrow but plan on tackling that project when I get it home.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:46 PM   #10

In my case, the fp is screwed to the new frame with the same angle brackets that held it in the cabinet. Kind of tricky, but looked easy when Poores did it. Also, the fp is powered by a regular electric cord and it goes up thru the roof of the cabinet to plug in behind the TV. There will be some clearance issues when opening/closing the frame/fp due to the screw heads on the fp assembly. They will carve their own groove with enough openings/closing and does not show on the exterior.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:58 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
In my case, the fp is screwed to the new frame with the same angle brackets that held it in the cabinet. Kind of tricky, but looked easy when Poores did it. Also, the fp is powered by a regular electric cord and it goes up thru the roof of the cabinet to plug in behind the TV. There will be some clearance issues when opening/closing the frame/fp due to the screw heads on the fp assembly. They will carve their own groove with enough openings/closing and does not show on the exterior.
Yes good points unfortunately I didn't have much time when we return from our 2 plus months to NE to do much than unload and get it back to the dealer to fix some issues under warranty. I'm anxiously waiting to get it back hopefully in the next few weeks since we head out to TN and some other places in late September for a month. I did have the TV down but don't recall if I saw the plug to the FP up there. I'm hoping it comes out on the side of the FP that I'm thinking on putting the hinge on. If not I could always extend it that would be fairly simple. It was pointed out there are other wires back there too so I'm thinking I might need to secure them or enclose them in something or put up a chase if need be so I don't pull or otherwise damage them. Now I'm choppin at the bits to take an indepth look at it. I like a challenge and enjoy working things like this on my Motorhome. Its great to get input and help on this forum, too. Thanks
Old 08-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #12

Another note--if the FP is like mine, it needs to be hinged on the right or a longer power cord might be needed if it swings on the left.

Tags
ace, fire, fireplace, replace, storage