Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

MCD power shade help

We have 2007 Phaeton 40qsh with mcd power shades on the windshield. cannot get them to operate without the key on. both the shade and screen work with the key on. found the programming keys (switches on a pigtail)behind the the pillar trim. went through programming cycle and were able to program them to go all the way up, (they used to stop a foot from the top), but they still do not work without the key on. have checked all fuses in panel under the front console and in the front DS bay. not every slot under the console has a fuse in it, but nothing labeled as shades. fuse in side bay labeled changed for good measure but no change Any ideas out there?
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Contact MCD and ask for their help. It sounds like the installer tapped into the wrong power source.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #3

It sounds like the Tiffin assembler hooked your power to the ignition switched bus instead of the battery buss. In my old 2008 Allegro Bus I had 2 fuse panels in the basement compartment beneath the driver.s seat. Each panel has a series of mini fuses. One of these panels is on the ignition switched bus and the other is on the battery bus, which is hot all the time.

Put your ignition on so the shades operate and pull the fuses one at a time, replacing each after testing the shade to see if it's still operating. When you get the one that prevents the shade from operating, the wire to that panel fuse needs to be moved to the other panel. I had similar problems with a couple of accessories on mine and when I questioned Tiffin about it, they said something like, "Oh the guy who was supposed to hook them up probably got busy, or confused. Happens all the time". I also found a number of leads on fuse panels miss-labeled all throughout my Bus. Most panels have some sort of a legend, but they aren't necessarily correct. Believe but VERIFY. This is a Tiffin assembly problem, not an MCD issue.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Most panels have some sort of a legend, but they aren't necessarily correct. Believe but VERIFY. This is a Tiffin assembly problem, not an MCD issue.
I agree that it is a Tiffin problem. Just mentioned for the OP to contact MCD as they know how to install them utilizing the correct electrical source--the first time. Obviously Tiffin does not, and their QC does not know how to properly check the items installed. JMHO

I had my MCD shades installed at the plant in McKinney, TX several years ago. It was done right the first time. I have never had to mess with them since installation.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
I agree that it is a Tiffin problem. Just mentioned for the OP to contact MCD as they know how to install them utilizing the correct electrical source--the first time. Obviously Tiffin does not, and their QC does not know how to properly check the items installed. JMHO
You are right on the money there. They don't much care, either.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions. these shades are supposed to work with the key on and the key off, so switching the wire changes the problem, but doesn't fix it. I will investigate that area for additional wires that may not be connected. MCD may have some insight too, whether there is supposed to be some sort of relay, or two connections. I won't be able to get to it until next week. keep you posted on what I find.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #7

OK, one more time. The 2 different panels in the front electrical compartment are the power sources for various DC electrical components. One is wired directly to the battery bus. By that I mean as long as your batteries are connected to the RV, you will have power to that panel REGARDLESS OF THE POSITION OF THE IGNITION KEY. The second panel is an "ignition switched panel" This means that panel will only be a source of power to the components connected to it WHEN THE IGNITION SWITCH IS ON. Once you find the fuse that powers the shade on the ignition switched panel, you need to remove the wire from that fuse point. That wire is going up to your shade switch on your dash panel. Moving it to the battery bus panel will allow the shades operate through your dash switch regardless of whether the ignition switch is on or off. If you have an open position on the battery bus panel, just put a mini fuse into it rated the same as the one you removed it from.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #8

of course, that makes perfect sense now.

must have had a brain cramp. anyway, will get to it next week and report back.

thank you.

Tags
power