Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2022, 08:00 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been getting better mileage since we started towing our Jeep Cherokee trailhawk. I think it has a lot to do with me just not driving as fast as I did with out the toad.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2022, 09:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
I've been getting better mileage since we started towing our Jeep Cherokee trailhawk. I think it has a lot to do with me just not driving as fast as I did with out the toad.
Exactly my situation towing a GMC Acadia weighing 5,000 lbs. behind a Class C

Because the Acadia towed speed is not to exceed 65 mph, I am getting better gas mileage towing, 7.3, vs not towing, 6.8.

Towing, I usually set the cruise or maintain 62-63 mph
Not towing, I drive the speed limit generally but under 80 mph.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:48 AM   #17

We have a 2017 Jayco Redhawk class C. Most of the time we get between 8 to 10 MPG wither flat towing or not. Flat straight trips are always better for us. The worst we have ever gotten was 5.5 because of a high head wind.
tvt11tddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKVA View Post
I'm impressed you get get such good MPG. We average 7.8- 8.2 up and down the East Coast U.S with or without the TOAD. Travel with your TOAD and don't think twice about MPG. Can't really enjoy the visiting areas without it.

Sam
I was pleasantly surprised as well. Some feel it's not got enough power for them,and they want bigger hp numbers, like 400 or more. My rig seems to average 50 to 60% power while traveling as reported on the gauge. That's where I think it would be the most efficient from my experience. I do hills ok, but sometimes I'm at 100% and will slow to maybe as slow as 50 mph on a long steep climb. I don't have any issues with the power as I only travel at 65 mph, which is my toads speed limit. That may also be part of the good mpg results.

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you

Greetings,,,,,

Again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH,,, to all who provided input and their experiences.

In GOD we Trust
Chipster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:30 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We take a hit of 3 to 5% about 0.5 mpg on our 10 to 11 mpg average. Mountains it is a little more because your mainly fighting gravity going up.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #21

Here are a couple of data points for you, hopefully helpful since I have a similar rig to yours (our 2021 34PA has a 2019 V10 chassis).

We have made three identical trips within the past year, once towing our 4700 pound Jeep, and once solo without it. With the Jeep, I calculated 7.35 MPG. Without it, I calculated 7.89. Both fill ups at the same gas station. Distance of each trip was 367 miles.

The only difference between these two trips is the Jeep trip had 12.5 hours of generator use (used .75 gallons per hour in my calculation). The solo trip had no generator use.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:01 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Good Morning, Thank you! Regarding your generator usage, do you run the generator while driving down the road? LaMesa rep suggested running it for the fridge. I just don’t see the point. This Beautiful A class Tiffin is my first A class, previously a 5th wheel. The way i understand it, the fridge is powered off the batteries which is charged by the engine while driving down the road.
Am I wrong? I greatly appreciate your comments.

In GOD we Trust
Chipster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:19 AM   #23

Foretravel Owners Club
On Our former '99 class A-, 454 gasser/GM chassis, 6mpg [down hill with a tail wind]. Towing... less than 5mpg.
Current RV.. tag axle/ISM-500 . Does NOT know it is towing.. 6.5 to 7.75, depending on terrain.weather and my right foot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220325_143647172.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	377894  
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:24 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster123 View Post
Good Morning, Thank you! Regarding your generator usage, do you run the generator while driving down the road? LaMesa rep suggested running it for the fridge. I just don’t see the point. This Beautiful A class Tiffin is my first A class, previously a 5th wheel. The way i understand it, the fridge is powered off the batteries which is charged by the engine while driving down the road.

In GOD we Trust

Yes, your inverter, alternator can power fridge while driving. Just make sure you exercise your generator enough to keep it healthy as well. Should put at least two hours runtime on generator per month per Cummins/Onan manual.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:37 AM   #25

Quote:

Absorption or residential refrigerator?

If absorption, can run on propane while driving, off while refueling.

If residential, assume you have an inverter. If so, yes, alternator charges the battery and inverter runs the refrigerator.

So, unless you need more AC power (like for roof airs), no need to run the generator.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:05 AM   #26

Quote:

In GOD we Trust
In this particular case, the generator use was all at the campground. However, we have used the generator while driving before but only to run the roof AC units.

LaMesa...careful, didn't have the best of luck with them when we were looking to purchase!
Old 10-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #27

In our experience, the difference the toad makes in fuel mileage is pretty much a rounding error. Wind and terrain matter much more, and both are variable across trips. Even on the same route driven at about the same speeds, variability in wind speed and direction can be more significant than whether the toad is attached.

On the other hand, our toad weighs about 10% of what the coach weighs, so our experience might well differ from those with other combinations. To really answer this question for a particular combination of coach and toad, two identical rigs would need to drive the same route at the same time spaced far enough apart that they didn't affect each other...and for that information to be useful, one of those configurations would have to match your own.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mileage, toad