Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #1

Minor issues with new 2017 Phaeton

Hello:

I'm a relative newbie to iRV2 but have had gas motorhomes for about 12 seasons. Since getting our new 2017 Phaeton 40AH, I have a multitude of questions about some of the issues we have had. I know I should be talking to the techs and sales staff where it was purchased but I've caught them contradicting each other and heard inconsistencies in some of the things they have told me. I bet I can get the real poop on iRV2.

I started the coach today to move it to it's normal location after giving it a good washing and the dash display indicated that a battery had low voltage. I assumed it was referring to the chassis battery because for most of the day we had it connected to a 15 amp shoreline. I asked a dealership tech about it a couple of weeks ago (it has happened before) and he said that it was normal and to ignore it. So, considering this advice as one more inconsistency, I decide to shut off the chassis battery while parked any length of time while leaving the 15 amp shoreline attached to fuel up the house batteries. Good choice?

On a related note, a sales person told me that the inverter will allow us to boondock for about 8 hours with just the fridge running while a tech told us about three days. Does anyone on here have a good answer?

An enormous amount of water pools on the slide out awnings when it rains. We pulled the slides in to leave the campground recently and some of the water ended up on the floor inside the coach. That can't be normal but is there anything I can do to keep that from happening?

Our Winegard Direct TV antenna whirls a lot but never seems to lock into a signal. We have had a few trees in the way when we tried it but it didn't seem to me that there were so many leaves that it would totally block the signal. Should I take it somewhere where we are certain to have total unobstructed access to the south? It seems that if the antenna is designed to be used while on the go, a few trees shouldn't stop the signal. Is there something else I'm missing? Advice?

Chadrock
Chadrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Chadrock,
Not sure about you other issues, but I have a Winegard system that also continues to move when the coach is stationary. I contacted Winegard Tech Support. They told me it will do that because it's updating information. Not to worry it's a normal operating issue.
Good luck with your other questions.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfixer1 View Post
Chadrock,
Not sure about you other issues, but I have a Winegard system that also continues to move when the coach is stationary. I contacted Winegard Tech Support. They told me it will do that because it's updating information. Not to worry it's a normal operating issue.
Good luck with your other questions.
Thanks for that info. Does yours actually pick up a signal while it's whirling? I haven't received a confirmation on our TV that it has connected to a satellite. Perhaps I'm not waiting long enough (three minutes, perhaps).
Old 08-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Let's see if I can clear some of these questions up for you.

As long as you are plugged in, leave the chassis batteries on. They are charged when you are plugged in or the engine is running. If you are storing the coach, turn them off.

And finally, your Trav'lr antenna cannot see through trees. To test it properly, get yourself parked somewhere with a clear shot to the south. Then test the antenna. It will take a few minutes to locate and peak the antenna but it works very well.

The low voltage indicator after start up is normal. Cooler temps will cause the intake air heater to turn on. This is a high current item that will temporarily draw the batteries down until the alternator kicks in.

Water on the slide out toppers after rain is totally normal. You can get rid of it by raising the front of the coach with your jacks, only bringing the slide part way in and letting it drain, or using an angled broom to sweep the water off.

When boondocking, your battery mileage will vary. With a residential frig, you may get up to 24 hours before you need to start the generator, however, I would plan on running the generator for 2 hours in the AM and another 2 ours in the evening.

For additional Tiffin support, you might want to visit the Tiffin RVNetwork website. Run by owners, there is lots of technical help available.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadrock View Post
Hello:

I started the coach today to move it to it's normal location after giving it a good washing and the dash display indicated that a battery had low voltage. I assumed it was referring to the chassis battery because for most of the day we had it connected to a 15 amp shoreline. I asked a dealership tech about it a couple of weeks ago (it has happened before) and he said that it was normal and to ignore it. So, considering this advice as one more inconsistency, I decide to shut off the chassis battery while parked any length of time while leaving the 15 amp shoreline attached to fuel up the house batteries. Good choice?
The tech is correct. The low voltage message on first start for a SHORT period of time is normal. When you're connected to shore power there is no need to turn off the chassis batteries. Your coach will balance the charge as needed, with the priority being the house batteries.

Quote:
On a related note, a sales person told me that the inverter will allow us to boondock for about 8 hours with just the fridge running while a tech told us about three days. Does anyone on here have a good answer?
Assuming all of your batteries are in good condition, when they are fully charged they will definitely last at least 8 hours or longer with only the fridge running. I can't imagine anyone not using anything else powered by the inverter for three days, so I can't comment on that. However the key is to watch the SOC (state of charge) of your batteries.

You can also setup your generator to automatically start when your batteries reach a state of charge that you have set, for an example 12 volts. It will run for two hours, shut down and check the SOC. If it is still low it will restart and run for an additional two hours, however it is very rare for this to happen.

Quote:
An enormous amount of water pools on the slide out awnings when it rains. We pulled the slides in to leave the campground recently and some of the water ended up on the floor inside the coach. That can't be normal but is there anything I can do to keep that from happening?
I have an adjustable pole that I use to clean my windshield after each day's drive, and have used it to remove water from the slide awnings on my previous coach (2009 Phaeton), but I haven't run into the situation with my 2017 yet. If you're getting quite a bit of water I would have a Tiffin authorized service center in your area take a look at it.

Quote:
Our Winegard Direct TV antenna whirls a lot but never seems to lock into a signal. We have had a few trees in the way when we tried it but it didn't seem to me that there were so many leaves that it would totally block the signal. Should I take it somewhere where we are certain to have total unobstructed access to the south? It seems that if the antenna is designed to be used while on the go, a few trees shouldn't stop the signal. Is there something else I'm missing? Advice?

Chadrock
Looks like you already received an answer to this one.

Enjoy your new coach.

ON EDIT: I was composing as 'luvlabs' was responding, but I think we're pretty close in our advice.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:11 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The advice on your other questions is great. If you have a Winegard RoadTrip In-Motion dome, then you need to let it seek a signal for at least ten minutes. It will seek and do its initial lock in, then it will "fine tune" the in motion part for another five or six minutes. You will hear it making very fine, short movements. Once it totally locks in, then you should be able to get a signal. You do have to be in a totally clear area because any leaves or tree limbs will block the signal.

As for the water pooling on the slide toppers, what I do is bring the front slides in slowly stopping occasionally to let the water run off. The toppers on those are so long that there is no way to keep tension in the center to prevent pooling. The bedroom slides don't seem to have as much pooling since they have a bit more slope to them.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
@Chadrock, here is a video from Spyder Controls that I believe will be helpful to explain the battery merge charging function.

This is another video from Spyder Controls that gives an overview of the system.

These videos are from earlier year model coaches, but the basic function is the same. The difference is newer coaches have more functions controlled by the Spyder System.

Here is a link to their website where you can download the pin out locations of your system: Spyder Controls
Login name is: Tiffin and the Password is: Motorhomes (both are case sensitive).
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:27 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
On initial setup of the inmotion system I have to reset my directv box to get the signal from the winegard dish after it has locked onto the satellite.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #9

Thanx all for the great responses. You put my mind at ease.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #10

Would also check the water levels in the house batteries, if they need water, it is distilled water.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to MarkandJodie Send a message via MSN to MarkandJodie Send a message via Yahoo to MarkandJodie
Hi Chadrock, Here is a link to a three minute video on dealing with your water intrusion from your slides issue.

If that link doesn't work, just look up RVgeeks on youtube and choose the awnings and slide toppers playlist - HOW TO: prevent an RV slide out flood.

In addition to that one there are about a hundred more videos on all kinds of RV related issues. Great site. I know I am about 4 months past your post date - I was just browsing around the forum, but I hope this helps.
MarkandJodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
In regards to your Winegard sometimes it does take a while especially if you hav any trees. We have a rather large Madrona tree next to the house that unless Im in the perfect spot doesn't allow the Sat. to lock on. It will see through some branches but not many. When I make a reservation at a campsite I'll ususlly mention to the person at the desk that my sat dish is sensitive and ask if they could put us in a tree free spot. Sometimes they say " What you dont want any shade "....No I reply.
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote