Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2022, 06:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Mira App & Module - Firefly

Newbie here! Quick question: Has anyone here installed the Mira module and app in a 201 Phaeton 40 IH? I purchased one from Firefly and am having a boatload of probs with it...

Thanks!
SAWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #2
WDW

As an aftermarket product? Its standard on Entegra DPs. Some have issues, but it depends. Mine has not really given us any issues. What’s your problems?
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:43 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Aftermarket. 2021 Phaeton 40 IH. Typo sneaked by me. Probs:

Light functions erratic. Light Master does not work as it should. Coach has one Light Master, app has three. If you set the coach lighting as you desire, and use the Light Master on the app, lighting goes haywire. Turn if off, ceiling accent lights come on, etc. No rhyme or reason to the light behavior using the app.
Aquahot electric function works on app as it should, but Aquahot diesel does not.

Climate controls appeared to function properly until I tried them again yesterday. The AC unit mid-coach came on with the app, but it would not go off when the temp was dialed down. Had to flip the breaker to stop it. Uninstalled the module at that point.

Response from Firefly folks have been almost non-existent. I even made videos of the behaviors and set up a share on my Sync account for support to see what was going on. As of now, no response. This is now a multi-month endeavor; I started the purchase process back in August. Somewhat puzzled by it all; I did the proper research before purchase and thought the product would be a great addition to the coach, especially as a backup in the case of a Spyder main screen failure...
Old 10-04-2022, 07:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAWillie View Post

Light functions erratic. Light Master does not work as it should. Coach has one Light Master, app has three. If you set the coach lighting as you desire, and use the Light Master on the app, lighting goes haywire. Turn if off, ceiling accent lights come on, etc. No rhyme or reason to the light behavior using the app.
Aquahot electric function works on app as it should, but Aquahot diesel does not.

Climate controls appeared to function properly until I tried them again yesterday. The AC unit mid-coach came on with the app, but it would not go off when the temp was dialed down. Had to flip the breaker to stop it. Uninstalled the module at that point.

Response from Firefly folks have been almost non-existent. I even made videos of the behaviors and set up a share on my Sync account for support to see what was going on. As of now, no response. This is now a multi-month endeavor; I started the purchase process back in August. Somewhat puzzled by it all; I did the proper research before purchase and thought the product would be a great addition to the coach, especially as a backup in the case of a Spyder main screen failure...
Interesting as we have the same coach and was planning to buy the module. The 2022 IH apparently comes with the module installed so I wonder if there is an updated version of software/firmware required to make it work properly. Last contact I had with with the Firefly folks was sending them the requested screen shots of the main panel to confirm compatibility. That was April 2021 and I've yet to hear back from them. It appears you are really at the mercy of Firefly to help you resolve the problems.

Please keep us posted as I would expect this is a rather desired upgrade. I was interested in it mainly because of the lack of any lighting controls at the theatre seating area.

Sam
Old 10-04-2022, 01:35 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
The product came with an update for the Spyder system on a USB stick that I performed. I assumed that was the latest update for Spyder, although I do not understand Spyder allowing someone else to furnish their updates. My primary concern with this product at this point is the issues with the Aquahot unit. As you know, Aquahot furnishes the heat for the Furnace function on the Spyder AC screen. As mentioned, I had the AC "hang up" when testing the product. Not knowing if the Aquahot problems with the product will spill over to the Furnace function on the AC units is a real concern for me. I do not want to wake up on a chilly morning "well-done" with the local coroner standing over me and my wife and the coach melted down around our ears. Lighting and the other functions are primarily convenience items. A diesel-fired furnace takes it out of convenience and puts it into a real safety issue.

I will also say this: I've had a motorhome since 2007, with the exception of 2019 and 2020. I've never had an AC unit that would not shut off when either the temperature control was dialed up in cooling mode, or dialed down in heat mode, with both going either above or below the set point for the unit.

B>
Old 10-04-2022, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
The product came with an update for the Spyder system on a USB stick that I performed. I assumed that was the latest update for Spyder, although I do not understand Spyder allowing someone else to furnish their updates. My primary concern with this product at this point is the issues with the Aquahot unit. As you know, Aquahot furnishes the heat for the Furnace function on the Spyder AC screen. As mentioned, I had the AC "hang up" when testing the product. Not knowing if the Aquahot problems with the product will spill over to the Furnace function on the AC units is a real concern for me. I do not want to wake up on a chilly morning "well-done" with the local coroner standing over me and my wife and the coach melted down around our ears. Lighting and the other functions are primarily convenience items. A diesel-fired furnace takes it out of convenience and puts it into a real safety issue.

I will also say this: I've had a motorhome since 2007, with the exception of 2019 and 2020. I've never had an AC unit that would not shut off when either the temperature control was dialed up in cooling mode, or dialed down in heat mode, with both going either above or below the set point for the unit.

B>
Agree with all your points and concerns. I'm pretty sure Firefly makes all of the control switches for Tiffin's Spyder implementation.

Sam
Old 10-11-2022, 09:04 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm interested in this. I cannot find any information on what is needed though. I also have a 2021 40IH. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Quote:

TexasBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Newbie here! Quick question: Has anyone here installed the Mira module and app in a 201 Phaeton 40 IH? I purchased one from Firefly and am having a boatload of probs with it...

Thanks!
Tried 2 modules in our 2020 Allegro Bus 40IP. Finally gave up and received a refund.
K4LK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:14 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBrit View Post
I'm interested in this. I cannot find any information on what is needed though. I also have a 2021 40IH. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Not quite sure what you're asking.

As far as my particular experience, I have nothing new to report. Like others, I've received an initial reply from support after posting my query in this forum, and nothing else. As mentioned, I've uninstalled the module in my coach. I'm waiting to see if Firefly steps up and corrects their problems with these aftermarket modules. If it appears they have corrected the problems, I'll try the module again. But not until...
Old 10-12-2022, 10:24 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I wasn’t aware that you could get an aftermarket module. I see a module on the tiffin section of the spider site. Is this the one?

The 2021 Spyder display manual shows the module button in the instructions but mine does not have it. I’m guessing because I don’t have the module.

I have searched and can’t find much more information.

Quote:
Not quite sure what you're asking.

As far as my particular experience, I have nothing new to report. Like others, I've received an initial reply from support after posting my query in this forum, and nothing else. As mentioned, I've uninstalled the module in my coach. I'm waiting to see if Firefly steps up and corrects their problems with these aftermarket modules. If it appears they have corrected the problems, I'll try the module again. But not until...
TexasBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 06:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBrit View Post
I wasn’t aware that you could get an aftermarket module. I see a module on the tiffin section of the spider site. Is this the one?

The 2021 Spyder display manual shows the module button in the instructions but mine does not have it. I’m guessing because I don’t have the module.

I have searched and can’t find much more information.
I didn't see anything on the Spyder site for a Bluetooth module. My main Spyder panel shows the option but the module isn't installed.

I think the blue light hard button panels in Tiffin's Spyder implementation (at least for Phaetons) are made by Firefly so you'd think they could get this right. Although the integration of those panels and the touch screens is also not perfect. My guess they are just RVC compatible devices.

Sam
Old 10-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Aftermarket product- I described this product as an aftermarket because, first, my coach did not come from the factory with it installed, and secondly, there was no one-to-one matchup with the existing Spyder panels in the coach. Example: The coach has one Light Master, the Mira app has three (Main, Bedroom, Bath). One can set the lighting in the coach and use the coach Light Master to turn this arrangement on and off with one touch. Convenient, right? Operation of the Mira Light Masters are inconsistent; the way one works in any given situation seems to be dependent on how the previous Light Master command was executed. I never could figure out the logic? governing the lighting behavior of the Mira app. I also had a head-scratching moment trying to understand why one would need a Light Master for a section of the coach that only has two lights. (Bath) The product appears to be a one-size-fits-all with these multiple Light Masters, hence the primary conclusion that it may be an aftermarket product for multiple coach models. Curiously, I have not found any owners with the product preinstalled reporting probs. They all seem to be folks like me, who wanted to add it after the fact. I may be wrong about this, but it isn’t logical that the product would work consistently when installed at the factory and be inconsistent when purchased after the fact if it is indeed the same product

Spyder product? No. I asked Spyder at the outset if I could order from them. They said it was a Firefly product and I would have to buy from Firefly. I actually expected the same level of quality and support as I had received from Spyder, which has been absolutely outstanding with the couple of probs with the Spyder controls. Which, BTW, had nothing to do with Spyder’s product, but was instead related to manufacturing issues at Tiffin. (Example: an incomplete crimp on a butt end connector connecting the Tiffin power lead to the Spyder panel in the bay, with intermittent failure of the connection.) No one could offer better support than the Spyder folks.

Another issue that is troubling to me personally is the Mira app apparently “calls home.” And obviously under the radar and without notification to me. The last email I received from Firefly acknowledged the Aquahot problem, stating that not only had others reported the issue but the app had as well. How can the app report errors to Firefly? I know of no other methodology other than “calling home.” If the app is “calling home” with data, the next obvious concern is what other data is also potentially being forwarded home? My IPhone contact list? My electronic Driver’s License info in Apple Wallet? Credit and/or bank account info? I don’t know, but it’s not unreasonable to question based upon my experiences so far. Obviously, this is probably far-fetched, but nonetheless, it has to cross one's mind. It’s no longer a concern for me personally since I uninstalled the module and app after the Aquahot issue surfaced.

Aquahot: I have no way of knowing if the Aquahot issue has the potential to precipitate a failure with the Aquahot controls, potentially starting a fire. I do know if won’t if it’s not there. I prefer fail-safe to maybe-not. Without mixing professional and personal matters, let me simply say I know what a burned body looks like after being trapped and burned to death in a vehicle. I’m also acutely aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. Right out of the gate, I installed three additional heavy-duty smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in my coach. (Kitchen, Bedroom, Bath) I also installed a grab bar underneath the cabinet above the emergency exit window. I may be able to navigate the window in the event of a fire, but my wife may not be. The grab bar may make the difference in getting out or not in the event of a fire. I also have an Amerex B500 ABC Fire Extinguisher that sits beside the laundry hamper in the bedroom when camping and rides on the bed when traveling. The small extinguisher beside the entry door would be worthless if I am awakened at night by the alarms going off with a fire in the kitchen or forward areas with me being unable to get to the extinguisher. Logically, if me and my wife can get to the front door in the event of a fire, the last thing I would do is grab a toy fire extinguisher and go back in. All of the above is why I’m unwilling to leave the product in my coach.

Professionalism – After 30 or so years of interacting with professional folks, I’ve noticed most all people who operate in a professional environment are invariably courteous. Email has become a standard communication tool amongst us. I respond to any email I receive that requires a response with, at the least, a “received” reply to let the sender know I received their communique. To interact with a group that doesn’t have at least a minimum set of equivalent standards is a disappointment to me. I received a note from another buyer of this product that reported the last time he heard from Firefly was April 2021. Take away from this what you will. As stated, it’s personally disappointing to me.

I’m mulling the idea of creating a download link in either OneDrive or Icloud IDrive documenting my efforts to receive what I thought I purchased, namely a product that works. It will also document my good-will efforts to illuminate the problems with the product by creating the videos illustrating the problems. Right now, I’m kicking myself for making the effort. If I had billed for the time trying to help resolve the problems instead of trying to help resolve the problems, I would have made the purchase price back and had funds left over. Creating the download will only put me further in the Lemon Hole.

Monday Morning Quarterbacking and all that.2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (A Very Good Friend)
Old 10-14-2022, 05:28 PM   #13

Very interesting and equally, if not more disturbing.

Please take no offense and not to correct you but it was me you are referencing (in quotes) with the following comment:

"I received a note from another buyer of this product that reported the last time he heard from Firefly was April 2021."

I didn't buy the module. I was attempting to but didn't as they were non-responsive to my follow-on e-mail sending them the requested screen shots of our main Spyder panel.

It appears new Phaetons have App support for the Spyder system. If it's the same and works the same, it's a miss. This is from the new 40IH brochure on Tiffin's website "Spyder Controls Multiplex System Featuring App Compatibility". Granted, a bit vague but App these days pretty much means smart phone/tablet support. I wonder if Tiffin uses a different implementation.

I guess the good news for me is that the lack of communications saved me $560.

Excellent thread and info!!

Thanks!
Sam
Old 10-14-2022, 05:54 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Sam, thank you for the correction. I always welcome and appreciate anyone who does so.

Thanks again!

SAW
2021 Tiffin Phaeton 40 IH
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (A Very Good Friend)

Tags
fire