Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

Momentary total failure

After driving for approximately one hour at freeway speed all instrument gauges stopped working for "a split second". The failure was so sudden I could not tell if the engine stopped also. I was able to continue on to my destination without any further failure. Will a Freightliner diagnostic check be able to determine the cause of failure? I am concerned that Freightliner will not be able to determine a cause unless the failure occurs while performing their diagnostics. Has anyone experienced a similar circumstance? If so, how was the problem resolved?
fshipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I've never had it happen but I have read of others who have. To be honest I can't remember how it was handled. The in-depth discussion of the issue was on the Tiffinrvnetwork site so you might want to read the posts there. Wish I could help more.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Had the same experience one time and it has not happened again after several hundred miles of driving. I did make a post on the Tiffin site but really did not get any answers.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a long thread on this.
The key is "Did you need to restart your engine"?

This is important. All of the instruments run off of a common data bus (J1939). If this connection is interrupted, you normally see a "no J1939 data" message. Or if power is lost to the instruments, they all go through a reset cycle when power is restored.

Folks are thinking they have a intermittent connection, or a relay not fully seated. this have been very hard to diagnose because it starts working again.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Do you recall the subject of the thread?
Old 01-14-2016, 06:06 AM   #6

I had the same thing occur while traveling in the left lane passing. It happened so quickly I wasn't sure if the engine quit because I had on cruise control and it quit, making me think the engine had also. I kept driving until I could pull over and call Freightliner. I had no code showing. The Freightliner tech told me he had others who had the same thing happen and they thought it was water or moisture getting into a connector. I've driven a couple thousand miles since with no issue.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #7

Here is the other thread. It's in the Freightliner forum.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/power...-a-260176.html
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:05 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WE had the problem in September in Ohio, all power at dash shut down twice while driving then came back on after 1-2 seconds. Just basically a "flash" of the dash gauges and lights. Shut down completely at a campground w/o power for 3 days. Turned out to be a bad crimp on the primary power cable at the firewall power stud in front of the point the wiring harness enters the coach under the dash. The cable was lightly crimped but only 1/4"-3/8" was in the copper lug. Basically the shrink tubing was the only thing holding it in place after 10 years it gave way.
Teacher's Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Shawn, thanks for the link.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:59 PM   #10

I currently have this issue on my 2015 Allegro Red all dials go to 0 and then they go back on, noticed that this happened most during a bumpy road, I just got back from a 4700 trip and it did it once 250 miles away from home and then not again for another 3900 miles!! I took a video of the issue and I have sent it to my local dealer and I will be taking my MH there this coming Saturday for this and a couple of small issues. I did notice that if I moved the wire harness near the ignition switch it would do it once in a while it has to be some sort of bad contact in the area!! Since the unit was on cruise control it seems it looses power but it does not once you push the accelerator it continues as normal but this is a pain in the you know what, lets hope they could find this issue!!!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandcanyon View Post
I currently have this issue on my 2015 Allegro Red all dials go to 0 and then they go back on, noticed that this happened most during a bumpy road, I just got back from a 4700 trip and it did it once 250 miles away from home and then not again for another 3900 miles!! I took a video of the issue and I have sent it to my local dealer and I will be taking my MH there this coming Saturday for this and a couple of small issues. I did notice that if I moved the wire harness near the ignition switch it would do it once in a while it has to be some sort of bad contact in the area!! Since the unit was on cruise control it seems it looses power but it does not once you push the accelerator it continues as normal but this is a pain in the you know what, lets hope they could find this issue!!!
If you jiggle the harness near the ignition switch and lose power, it's most likely what I found once, the plug from the ignition switch harness was lose to say the least. Ours was duct taped to the switch!!!,talk about good workmanship..I found ours one day , I was rerouting some wires and then the coach was dead...finally found the plug half out of the ignition switch..
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:55 PM   #12

Dash Board dials go blank for a second or two

Hello Again! Just to let everyone know that it looks like Freightliner solved my issue, I actually gave them a copy of the video that I took when this happened and they were able to go under the dashboard and as I thought found more then one connection lose!! This past week I took the MH on a 800 miles trip and no issues to report.
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote