Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2008, 03:47 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I tried to do this 6 month and 1 day registration in Florida.

I January 2005 I purchased a new motorhome in NY and never titled it. Drove it to Florida on an intransit permit. Stayed for 3 months then drove to my home in Pennsylvania. Let the motorhome sit until September 2005 when I called Citrus County Florida and asked about registering the motorhome in Florida. They wanted the FL sales tax paid because the motorhome had never been registered and the tax had never been paid anywhere.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:39 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Tom,
You are correct. One must title the vehicle somewhere and then 6 months and 1 day later it can be brought into Florida owing no sales tax.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bruse,
Thanks for the heads up. I already looked into the concern mentioned in your post. My attorney assures me if I follow his instructions setting up the LLC and the titling to the LLC in Montana and continue to follow his instructions when titling the vehicle in Florida (to me) there will be no problem. While I don't understand the details completely, that's what I pay him for. With all the high priced toys, in Florida, this is a common practice and a competent attorney should be able to lead his client through the process.

I researched this in 2007 when I was very close to purchasing another coach. I will do the research again before I purchase another coach. These laws change everytime the state legislature meets. Fortunately, in Florida the legislature meets only the first few month of the year.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #18

A way around the "staying 6 months out of state" rule is to have the Montana LLC owned by a trusted friend/family menber residing in another state. I'm in the process at this time of setting up a Mt. LLC in this manner as our new Essex will be delivered late July. Garykd is correct in that specific procedures HAVE to be followed, but it can legally be done. I talked to Bennett Law and www.heggenlawoffice.com both located in Missoula, Mt. and decided to go with Heggen. The cost from either is around $1350-$1400 initially and $200 or so each year there after. The annual cost can vary somewhat depending of the age of the coach involved.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:54 AM   #19

I should have mentioned that my previous posting is Florida specific. I'm aware that Louisiana, and I'm sure other states, have their own laws and procedures to follow.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #20

It appears that at least one state is going after its residents who attempt to evade local taxes. HERE is a link to another thread which you may want to consider. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We looked at the Montana LLC, we decided against this as we would have a vehicle owned by a corp and is now subject to commercial rules and fuel and road taxes in certain states. We elected to obtain residency in South Dakota and registered all of our vehicles there. The tax savings swayed us and nor having to worry about inspections and being able to renew thru the web made this very easy.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:46 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> actually knows of anybody first hand that has been hassled by a state over a LLC </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try this one on for size.

Colorado charges RV Owners
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We elected to obtain residency in South Dakota and registered all of our vehicles there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
garybtt: can you please enlighten us as to exactly what is involved in accomplishing the above?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:51 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We contracted with a mail forwarding company and used that address for all of our mail. This is the address for registering our vehicles. Check out http://alternativeresources.net/ this will give all the info you need. South Dakota charges 3 percent tax on vehicles that was a very large savings for us. I went to SD and have my drivers license there and have stayed there in order to register to vote.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
garybtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Hello All, wondered about this for a while. We elected to register our rig in the state we live in (WA) paid the sales tax, and will deduct it on our Federal Return next year. Ok, I believe there is a sales tax limit for deductions, if so, oh well, as our state does not have Income tax which is worse, you can do the math on that one. We can also deduct the interest on the loan, second house you know, so we might win in both cases, if not, then the old "death and Taxes" thing applies. I work for the government, and even though you might beat them, they will get you another way, and when the do, it seems to cost more than had you played the game streight. WA routinely goes after vehicles registered in other states, and when they find you jiggered them, they may you pay the back sales tax plus interest for all the time you beat the clock, in some cases more than the vehicles are worth when caught. Not worth it for me.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #26

Colorado is very unfriendly to Montana LLC owners; they are currently persuing sales tax and registration charges against 120 owners. We are one of them; we used Bennett Law Firm. They are absolutlely "no help". Our tax advisor has responded to the state for us and he says Colorado is all wrong. That doesn't help when it costs thousands to hire an attorney if you can find one to represent you. I would advise anyone who owns anything in Colorado not to do an LLC in hopes of saving any money. The taxes and penalties, plus payment to Bennett will far exceed any savings we might have made. Our only recourse will be pay them in excess of $8000 or go to court and spend even more. The state does not recognize Montana LLCs and goes after the individual. Would love to participate in a class-action suit against the state. Are there any takers/
Old 06-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Our tax advisor has responded to the state for us and he says Colorado is all wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I know many who say the IRS is all wrong too. Just look at the "stupid" rule that says your business actually has to make money after x number of years. And if it doesn't they call it a hobby and dis-allow your deductions from you business that never made money.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #28

parmm, exactly true. And Fleetwood here in CA. just reported their 8th year of straight loss (in the business section of the Riverside Co. Paper). They are still in business, at least they were at 1:47 pm today. Now granted, they have many different divisions, and I say the above, tongue in cheek, but it does seem to follow a more stringent coarse of action when applied to a "small" business man.