Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2022, 10:44 PM   #1

Montana trip

Howdy folks! My wife and I are planning to go to Billings, MT area around 21 May-4 Jun. We live in Enterprise, AL and needless to say it’s gonna be a long one but hopefully enjoyable. We have a 2014 Allegro Bus 45LP and unless diesel fuel gets to $8 a gallon we will plan to go. I’ve driven 18-wheelers in the Dakotas so I’m well aware of how cold it can get up there but my concern is the grades I will have to climb and descend through South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana. Our planned route will take us across Arkansas on I-40 to Alma then I-49 to Kansas City. I-29 to Sioux Falls, SD then I-90 to Billings. Our route is as such due to sights and people we want to visit. Any advice or warnings about bad curves or steep grades along that route would be greatly appreciated. Tommy and Tammy
Enterprise, AL
Empty nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2022, 07:41 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Since you are traveling interstates, you don't have to be concerned with the grades. We've travelled most of the highways you have listed and there hasn't been a problem, even when we had our 340hp Allegro RED. Generally, the steepest grades and longest climbs are in Colorado like on I-70 at the Eisenhower Tunnel. Here is an excerpt from the National Highway Standards about interstate grades.
Quote:
Maximum grade: The maximum permissible vertical angle, or grade, along the highway is determined from terrain and design speed, with up to 6% generally allowed in mountainous areas, 5% in rolling terrain, and 4% on level terrain. An additional 1% is allowed in urban areas.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:47 AM   #3

I have traveled most of that route in a 2018 Allegro Bus with a 450 Cummins engine. I don't remember any real problems. Obviously, when you get into the mountains, upgrades will slow you down and you will have to manage your speed on the downgrades.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:54 AM   #4

No serious grades the entire way. The only way you will encounter steep grades will be if you try to shortcut the interstates.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:46 PM   #5
PKI

Generally - no problem ..... however, there have been roll-overs due to wind conditions on I90 in Montana. We never experienced the problem, but there have been issues for Semi's and rental travel trailer rigs. With semi experience, you have likely heard about the issues. Take care in areas with canyons that channel wind gusts and on down grades where becoming unsettled can be dramatic. Betting a rig as big as a BUS will be unchallenged, but Mother Nature can be a bit persistent.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 10:22 PM   #6

Thank y’all for the replies. I have for sure dealt with winds in that area in the past. Sometimes it can be a bit unnerving but I got through it unscathed. Thanks for all the good info. I will post the results after the trip. I’m just hoping the weather will cooperate. Thanks again.
Empty nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:38 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
You are in for a fantastic trip. That part of the country is amazing. Take any interstate highway or any U.S. highway. They are all great roads. Much better than the crappy roads back east. I’ve been out of seattle and have driven extensively thru the north west for years.

There can and will be mountain passes. No big deal. You just will not do 65 going up them. ONE rule. If you are in 3 gear going up and at 40 mph. Use 3 gear going down at 40 mph. Stay off the brake, or use sparingly, use the engine going down, take your time and enjoy the amazing scenery.

I try to stay off the interstate, take US highways. Especially thru Wyoming. There are less than 600,000 people in all of Wyoming. Black hills! Glacier national park. Yellowstone can be very crowded. Cody Wyoming! Salmon idaho! Lost pass just north of salmon on the way north to Missoula. The bitterroot valley south of Missoula. Us 16 going east west in northern Wyoming, ANAZING.

Billings is just on the east side of the best part of the country. Head west from there. You will not be disappointed. Eastern Montana can be a bit boring. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:38 PM   #8

Interstates don't have steep grades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty nest View Post
Howdy folks! My wife and I are planning to go to Billings, MT area around 21 May-4 Jun. We live in Enterprise, AL and needless to say it’s gonna be a long one but hopefully enjoyable. We have a 2014 Allegro Bus 45LP and unless diesel fuel gets to $8 a gallon we will plan to go. I’ve driven 18-wheelers in the Dakotas so I’m well aware of how cold it can get up there but my concern is the grades I will have to climb and descend through South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana. Our planned route will take us across Arkansas on I-40 to Alma then I-49 to Kansas City. I-29 to Sioux Falls, SD then I-90 to Billings. Our route is as such due to sights and people we want to visit. Any advice or warnings about bad curves or steep grades along that route would be greatly appreciated. Tommy and Tammy
Enterprise, AL
Stay on interstates. They do not have steep grades. 6% max, with a short 7% sometimes allowed. Just did the stretch from SD to Bllings last summer.
surferskir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana