Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2022, 03:53 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
More Schwintek Woes

I am still fighting with one slide out with a Schwintek mechanism. I tried to get the slide out the other day and one motor stops after about six inches. There are no obstructions that I can see and no error codes on the controller. While looking underneath I noticed that none of the rollers on the interior edge are touching the floor. I don't think it's related but there is at least 1/4 to 3/8 inch gap. This seems like an error to me as all of my other slides have rollers that move along the floor. They are basically hanging there doing nothing and the rollers mounted on the floor at the sidewall are supporting all of the weight. Removing the rollers to add plywood so they touch doesn't seem too difficult but still doesn't help me with my Schwintek issue. I'm still trying to hold out on the Vroom replacement which will set me back $3800. Looking for suggestions...

(images are upside down for some reason)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221126_153942.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	382179   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221126_153938.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	382180  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2022, 06:50 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The motors shut off based on amps drawn. So, not having the slide rollers on the floor probably causes the motors to work harder. Is the slide flush with the outside when in? Do the inner rollers hit the floor when the slide is completely in? Do the outer rollers roll on the slide?

If the slide is level, the outer rollers are in contact, and the inner rollers never hit the floor, then it would make sense to add a piece of plywood to get the inner rollers in contact with the floor. But I think something caused it to get that way.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:38 PM   #3

Does the slide work if you put it in “overide” on the controller? Could mean you have a bad Hall sensor on a motor.
There is also a force adjustment behind the x in the circle on the controller label, you have to poke through the label to adjust it.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
Does the slide work if you put it in “overide” on the controller? Could mean you have a bad Hall sensor on a motor.
There is also a force adjustment behind the x in the circle on the controller label, you have to poke through the label to adjust it.
There is no Hall sensors on the motors. There are two wires, power + an -, that's it. Putting the system into "override" disables the current sensing (which is what stops the motors, not Hall counters). You can burn up a lot of things and do a lot of damage when the current sense is disabled. I have used the override myself, judiciously, in the past. If things are really stuck, and you are in override, stop pushing the extend or retract button once you realize its not going to do you any good otherwise you face some very expensive consequences.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:00 PM   #5

Yes, there are 2 Hall sensors in each motor on the Schwintek system. They provide the speed signal to the controller.

David
Old 12-06-2022, 04:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
The motors shut off based on amps drawn. So, not having the slide rollers on the floor probably causes the motors to work harder. Is the slide flush with the outside when in? Do the inner rollers hit the floor when the slide is completely in? Do the outer rollers roll on the slide?

If the slide is level, the outer rollers are in contact, and the inner rollers never hit the floor, then it would make sense to add a piece of plywood to get the inner rollers in contact with the floor. But I think something caused it to get that way.

The slide is flush when in. The slide rolls on the outer rollers which are mounted to the floor of the coach. The inner rollers don't touch the floor but to be honest. I did not take a look the last time it was fully out but I still expect it to ride on the inner rollers the entire time like my other slides. I don't think anything caused it to get that way, I think it was just manufactured that way with a gap. I read another thread where a guy had to move one of his rollers because it was mounted incorrectly.

In response to some of the other posts, I have not tried the override. When that one motor stops, I release the button before the slide gets totally out of whack. I have not tried to inch it out from that point, just pulled it back in. This is a large slide and I feel like the motors are underpowered but that is another story. If I adjust the hall sensor I am afraid that one motor will spin at a different rate than the other. Is that possible or does that just control the cut off point?
Old 12-06-2022, 05:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
The slide is flush when in. The slide rolls on the outer rollers which are mounted to the floor of the coach. The inner rollers don't touch the floor but to be honest. I did not take a look the last time it was fully out but I still expect it to ride on the inner rollers the entire time like my other slides. I don't think anything caused it to get that way, I think it was just manufactured that way with a gap. I read another thread where a guy had to move one of his rollers because it was mounted incorrectly.

In response to some of the other posts, I have not tried the override. When that one motor stops, I release the button before the slide gets totally out of whack. I have not tried to inch it out from that point, just pulled it back in. This is a large slide and I feel like the motors are underpowered but that is another story. If I adjust the hall sensor I am afraid that one motor will spin at a different rate than the other. Is that possible or does that just control the cut off point?
To your expectation: yes. All rollers should be in contact with the slide & floor at all times.

If that slide has been struggling since you got the MH, then I agree it probably is a manufacturing error and I would add the plywood to get those rollers on the floor. If not, I would still search for a reason for the change.

Based on the slide being aligned correctly, I don't see a downside to adding the plywood. I would do that before I overrode the motors.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:27 PM   #8

My large slide has rollers in the wall and a few just inside mounted on the floor. When the slide is in it is just hanging there on the inside edge. Just like it is when it is extended out. I was surprised to discover this. For a spell I placed air lift bags on the inside edge while driving. Seems that the bouncing of the road puts a lot of stress as the motor is locked to the wall but the slide box is basically floating. So if the slide box bounces the gears and rack are absorbing all that stress. I have had a rack fail.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:45 PM   #9

Waiting for parts

I'm on repair #3 of the large Schwintek slide on my 38LL in the first 1-1/2 years of ownership. This time, the techs are telling me there are missing gears in the mechanism. I'd like to see a Tiffin recall on all units with these slides and get them fixed properly. I was told to expect 6-8 weeks for parts to fix it this time. My coach has been in the shop for several months now, just on Schwintek repairs. Never again would I buy anything with this type of slide.
halleeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
What you might try is to cut some slim wooden wedges to drive under the inner rollers when the slide is in. That way there would be some support under the rollers.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
Yes, there are 2 Hall sensors in each motor on the Schwintek system. They provide the speed signal to the controller.

David
My mistake! Apologies for no t being accurate.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewoof View Post
My mistake! Apologies for no t being accurate.

If anyone is interested here’s a couple pics, I replaced the Hall sensors on a motor that still worked but the defective sensors were stalling the slide.
The replacement Honeywell sensors are supposed to be better quality. It was some tricky soldering with a magnifier.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7300.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	382573

Name:	IMG_E7299.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	382574

Name:	IMG_7298.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	382575
Old 12-12-2022, 08:23 PM   #13

What were your symptoms? Any flash codes on the controller?

David