RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2021 Phaeton Failed PDI - Back to Red Bay

Went to the dealer to pick up my new 2021 Phaeton 40 IH. During my PDI I found a big gap between the PS Rear Slide and the coach body. it was sticking out most in the bottom right corner of the slide, so much I could stick my finger in the gap. This apparently got past the PDI at both Tiffin and the dealer before I noticed it during my PDI. Long story short, they couldn't fix it at the dealer and said it needs to go back to Tiffin to get fixed properly. So back to Red Bay it goes. No idea at this point when it will be back for me to start over with this process. It'll have at least 2500 miles on my the time I get it now, but more importantly this is a major time suck because of poor manufacturer QC and dealer professionals not paying attention and more likely trying to rush because of high demand and busy schedules!
RoadRunner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 07:22 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
That's very disappointing news and a topic that's been on my mind. I have a RED on order and with the backlog right now (16 weeks) I've been concerned about getting a good build. Also, since it's my 1st RV I have never done a PDI and not really sure where to begin. I would like to see a Thread on this site where users could list some of the issues that had to be corrected. I'm sure that once the dealer is paid, getting items corrected really slows down. Would the dealer allow you to return the unit to Tiffin and at least you could watch over the remaining corrections? I'm sure you are ready to travel rather than sit in a shop nursing your Phaeton.
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #3

There are multiple threads on here and other sites regarding how to do a PDI. Also on YouTube. All are very helpful and worth the time to read and view. As far as the dealer allowing you to return to Tiffin, it is actually up to Tiffin to schedule an appointment to go to Red Bay and get everything fixed if needed. The dealer would be happy NOT to have to make the repairs because Tiffin pays them less than what the dealer charges for non warranty work.

To the OP, maybe the dealer and/or Tiffin owes you some $$$ for your inconvenience. It wouldn’t hurt to ask.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner61 View Post
Went to the dealer to pick up my new 2021 Phaeton 40 IH. During my PDI I found a big gap between the PS Rear Slide and the coach body. it was sticking out most in the bottom right corner of the slide, so much I could stick my finger in the gap. This apparently got past the PDI at both Tiffin and the dealer before I noticed it during my PDI. Long story short, they couldn't fix it at the dealer and said it needs to go back to Tiffin to get fixed properly. So back to Red Bay it goes. No idea at this point when it will be back for me to start over with this process. It'll have at least 2500 miles on my the time I get it now, but more importantly this is a major time suck because of poor manufacturer QC and dealer professionals not paying attention and more likely trying to rush because of high demand and busy schedules!
Sorry to hear that....I would be curious to hear from Red Bay why they couldn't fix it at the dealership. Putting another 1250 miles on your Rig can't be cheap either. Is there no other shop that could handle this for Red Bay?
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
My thanks to TXTiger for the info on PDI. I've only been on the site for about a week and still finding my way around. I'll get there!
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
Sorry to hear that....I would be curious to hear from Red Bay why they couldn't fix it at the dealership. Putting another 1250 miles on your Rig can't be cheap either. Is there no other shop that could handle this for Red Bay?
The dealer looked at at then called Red Bay for help. Red Bay told them it needs go go back to the factory for the repair. I'm not taking it there, I'm assuming the Tiffin driver that delivered it to my dealer, or some other Tiffin driver, will drive it back to Red Bay, then once fixed drive it back to my dealer. I'm figuring Tiffin is covering all the costs. Also I haven't paid or closed on it yet, so Tiffin (or the dealer?) has some $$$ tied up in this thing going back and forth. to Alabama.

I won't sign papers on it until its 100% ready with no issues at least that I know of.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:33 AM   #7

Sorry to hear about your issue, but confident Tiffin will make it right. More than pleased with their customer service and responsiveness. One thing I would put in the back of your mind as it relates to potential future warrant work. That is Tiffin promises a one year or 12000 mile warranty. Would make sure to note the odometer miles when you take delivery. You should get 12000 miles from that point. I had an issue inside the one year mark but was over 12000 miles on the odometer. Told my dealer the coach had over 1100 miles on it when I picked it up so they should repair it under warranty since I didn’t have “my” 12000 miles on it. They initially balked but told them they can sort it out with Tiffin. Guess what, they did and we’re enjoying life on the road. Best wishes on your coach.
Tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:17 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedo View Post
Sorry to hear about your issue, but confident Tiffin will make it right. More than pleased with their customer service and responsiveness. One thing I would put in the back of your mind as it relates to potential future warrant work. That is Tiffin promises a one year or 12000 mile warranty. Would make sure to note the odometer miles when you take delivery. You should get 12000 miles from that point. I had an issue inside the one year mark but was over 12000 miles on the odometer. Told my dealer the coach had over 1100 miles on it when I picked it up so they should repair it under warranty since I didn’t have “my” 12000 miles on it. They initially balked but told them they can sort it out with Tiffin. Guess what, they did and we’re enjoying life on the road. Best wishes on your coach.
Very good point. I will be sure to do that and thank you!
Old 10-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner61 View Post
Very good point. I will be sure to do that and thank you!
Usually in most states, there is documentation that states actual mileage of the vehicle at the time of delivery. Hopefully the Tiffin warranty would start then.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #10

We have actually been looking at new and have held off with the massive run on RV's since the spring and the lousy discounts. Now the lead times are way out, dealer stock is limited. Seems like the manufacturers are maybe under pressure and way behind schedule with demand and parts shortages. I think maybe we will wait until next year when things get a little more under control.
CZNEDY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #11

Saw a vlog (RV Miles) reporting on an RVIA or some such group survey of 2020 new campers and whether they intend to do so beyond 2020. The yes rate was 18%. Not sure I would get a new rig today.
Ddjay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, phaeton