Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2017, 10:53 PM   #1

My Phaeton's continuing dependability

I have a 2004 Phaeton. It is 40 ft long with 4 slides. I bought this motorhome when it 4 years old and had 30 k miles on it and it now has 93 k miles. It has a Cat C7 7.2 liter engine in it. I have changed the oil every 3k miles, I know too often, but I have. I have kept all maintenance items up to date over the years. I want know what you think about the dependability of continued us of my motorhome in the future. I usually drive about 10,000 miles a year. I have recently had some expensive breakdowns while on a 3 month trip out west, I'm from Tennessee, and am starting to wonder about getting a newer Tiffin . Below are some of the major repairs I have had over the years.

A new air conditioner compressor 9 years ago.
A new wet bay floor and a new driver slide floor about 6 years ago.
New converter/inverter about 5 years ago.
A new alternator about 4 years ago.
A new set of injectors and a new turbo about 3 years ago.
A new rear air conditioner about 2 years ago.
On the current trip I have had to get a new rear differential installed, expensive, and my water pump locked up 2 days after I picked it up from that repair.

I have replaced so much over the years that I don't know if I should consider the major items in good shape and continue driving it of be scared for the next big ticket item to go out and get a newer motorhome. I do plan to get with the Cat shop when I get home, I am in California now, and do a blow by test and get a better idea of the shape of the engine piston and cylinder walls. It seems to have good power but if it has excessive blow by I will be shopping for something else.

I just need your opinion about my options and future dependability of this Phaeton.

Thanks

Ken
n4hwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 04:11 AM   #2

It's time to upgrade while your good maintenance record still has some value. It will be a good buy for someone that puts much lesser miles per year. With your high mileage per year, an upgrade choice needs to be carefully evaluated.
Trans. Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If you buy new, you lock in an expensive cost, but at least it's planned. If you continue with your coach, you may or may not have a less expensive cost hit, but the downside is it's unplanned when it occurs. On the other hand, nothing says a newer one is 100% reliable either.

I find these are always tough calls to make. I just hate breaking down on the road though. Don't mind if I'm home and have time and access to tools and known service facilities. Breakdowns on the road are always inconvenient, and usually mess up all the planning that goes into a long trip.

On my longer trips, I usually build in 5 day blocks periodically throughout the trip at locations I can easily spend that much time sightseeing. That way if I ever do break down, there's a good chance I can get the repairs done, and then get caught back up with the scheduled locations, so the whole trip isn't ruined. Takes all the pressure off.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote