Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

Need HDMI Splitter

My HDMI Splitters power supplies overheat and burn out every couple of months. Has anyone replaced their Splitters with a new model?
Current Splitters are Triplevision TVCAT681, 1x8 HDMI Splitter over single STP CAT 6 Cable

2016 Allegro 34PA. Tiffin replacements are $180 plus shipping and I'm hoping to find something less expensive.
TIA George
Geokenuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2021, 02:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geokenuae View Post
My HDMI Splitters power supplies overheat and burn out every couple of months. Has anyone replaced their Splitters with a new model?
Current Splitters are Triplevision TVCAT681, 1x8 HDMI Splitter over single STP CAT 6 Cable

2016 Allegro 34PA. Tiffin replacements are $180 plus shipping and I'm hoping to find something less expensive.
TIA George

The only thing wrong with your splitters is the power supplies go bad. This is a known problem with the Triplevision units. Look on Amazon for a replacement power supply that has the correct connector and 5v amperage output. Should be less than $20.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:54 PM   #3

One more tip is turn off your entertainment circuit breaker when you store your coach plugged in. Save some power and your splitters will thank you.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
First, get a new power supply rated with a higher wattage output. They should last for a very long time. The other thing I have done was turn the power switch off on the splitter for the DVD/ surround sound system as we rarely use it. That saves on a bunch of heat. Also added more spacers between the splitters to get a little more air flow.The last thing I did was replace the garbage cooling fan with a higher quality fan.
Oh yea, and I cleaned up the rats nest of cables that Tiffin stuffed in there. The whole thing could have been designed better.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:50 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Actually, the current splitters are a 1x4 Cat6 unit that powers directly from the 12v house current. They run much cooler than the older 1x8 splitters, barely even needing the cooling fan.

This is the current model, Tiffin part #5076386.
DEVICE CAT6 SPLITTER ALG 12V #CT-HDRVS-S
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:15 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Lt Dan, For future reference, do these new style splitters have at least one hdmi output? I know my bedroom tv has direct hdmi cables right to the tv,( no cat6 cable). If no hdmi output, then the cat6 to hdmi converter would be required just at the splitter box? Can I assume the new splitters come with a 120v to 12v converter?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The only thing wrong with your splitters is the power supplies go bad. This is a known problem with the Triplevision units. Look on Amazon for a replacement power supply that has the correct connector and 5v amperage output. Should be less than $20.
Here's one recommended by another member: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9W6MCH

They're currently out of stock but I just bought one for $.92. It was selling for $10.43 at the time (8/19/21) and they had a coupon for $1.04 off. Add tax (and free shipping with a trial Prime membership and with credit card rewards redeemed), it was a no-brainer and seems to have remedied the problem where the whole signal goes dead every now and then.

My splitters also have a problem in that they don't pass the audio signal. I took one in to TripleVision in Red Bay and they confirmed that it was defective. This is really only a problem if I wanted to watch a DVD on the outdoor TV but I will probably eventually replace it. Expensive little boogers, aren't they?
Old 09-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, the power supply wasn't the problem...the splitter still goes dead and resurrects itself periodically. I ordered one of these on eBay...an open box item at about half retail price...we'll see if it does the trick:
https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-Proph.../dp/B076VVZGP3

I'm just not very impressed with the choice of A/V electronics that Tiffin puts in their coaches. Maybe they got a nice deal with TripleVision being right in Red Bay but there's no such excuse for selecting bottom-of-the-line LG products. I suspect that the people they have selecting the gear just don't have an appreciation for quality A/V systems. Other items in my coach indicate they aren't in the practice of cutting corners to suck as much profit out of each coach as possible.

Maybe the 1x4 splitters Lt. Dan referred to are a big improvement over the TripleVision units but the Gofanco unit has got some excellent reviews and at $117 including shipping it's worth the gamble.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:44 AM   #9

Tiffin gave us one of the cooler splitters at a rally. A world of difference, and no fan needed.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #10

Do you need to also change the receiver splitter with the new cooler splitter? Does the new splitter handle 1080p and or 4k?
speaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speaky View Post
Do you need to also change the receiver splitter with the new cooler splitter?
I received my new Gofanco splitter today and hooked it up. It worked with the current receiver modules, so I assume there's an industry standard to convert to CAT6 then back to HDMI. I'll eventually pull the TVs and replace the current receiver modules with the Gofanco ones, but since the current ones work there's no rush to do so.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskibuff View Post
I received my new Gofanco splitter today and hooked it up. It worked with the current receiver modules, so I assume there's an industry standard to convert to CAT6 then back to HDMI. I'll eventually pull the TVs and replace the current receiver modules with the Gofanco ones, but since the current ones work there's no rush to do so.
Excellent! Good info to have.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskibuff View Post
Can you give me the part number or model number? Did you replace one or both splitters?
Thanks
Geokenuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:07 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
2012 Tiffin Phaeton

Could one of you tell me where the splitter/power supply is located at.

Thank you
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote